/

#

San Francisco.

!

Remember?

Comments (23)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Indeed I do. I was a young kid at the time but it was a favorite. Do you remember what the image was on that card?

• Janie
    4 years ago

I don't remember the symbols or the card, but I remember Have Gun Will Travel starring Richard Boone. We watched regularly in my house. My Mom thought he was sexy.

• mare_wbpa
    4 years ago

Have Gun Will Travel. Wire Paladin. San Francisco. I think the symbol was a chess Knight.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It was great TV. The music was awesome.

His card had a chess' knight on the card (I recall).

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

I remember that my little brother was convinced that Paladin's first name was "Wire"! Heehee, I teased him about that, lol.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

That was a favorite in my family too. We can still watch it on ME TV - along with Bonanza, The Rifleman, Big Valley, Andy Griffith Show, Columbo etc.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

I loved that show.

• bengardening
    4 years ago

I remember it. I also liked Branded. DO you?

• Janie
    4 years ago

Don't remember Branded, but looked it up and it starred Chuck Connors who I remember VERY WELL from The Rifleman - OMG, loved that show and loved him.

• wishiwereintheup
    4 years ago

Yes, remember it well. Paladin theme was sung by Johnny Western.

My favorite was Rawhide. Unfortunate that no episodes were filmed in color. Co-starred a very young Rowdy Yates as Clint Eastwood ;-). And who can forget the theme song sung by Frankie Laine.

• matti5
    4 years ago

We watch the reruns. My DH still has the gun/holster set from his childhood. We enjoy watching all the old westerns on MeTV.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I saw him at a personal appearance and got a card. It's long gone. I was maybe 10 years old at the time.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Loved the show as a kid and all westerns. I was the neighborhood tomgirl who preferred gunfights with my six shooters and spud gun over playing with girl stuff. I remember my Zorro sword too. It had a chalk tip so you could leave your Z everywhere.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Yes I remember Paladin...had a horse's head on his holster too and always wore black. Of course what was so silly was how he was in San Fran and then someone would ask for him and he'd suddenly be in Colorado or Oregon or Nevada, like it only took a few hours to get there!

I remember Branded too...but mostly for the theme song which as kids we sang a parody to:

Stranded

Caught on the toilet bowl

What do you do when you're stranded

And you ain't got a roll...

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Nope! not at all. Whatcha talking about? Was it a tv show? I assume. I'll have to look it up.

Ah. I see

• Janie
    4 years ago

Wishiwereintheup - I often sing 'rolling rolling rolling - rolling rolling rolling" around the house when its appropriate. (And BTW I love the UP, we have friends in Cedarville.)

• chisue
    4 years ago

Oh for the days when a series had an arresting theme song. We turn off the intro to most of the things we stream because we can't stand the vapid lyrics.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

@rob333 - Thanks, I had no idea what was being discussed. What a great voice. We have MeTV and I often look at the lineup and recognize many of the shows. Maybe I'll start watching some of them.

• Uptown Gal
    4 years ago

:) My favorite was Bonanza.....used to have a crush on Pernell Roberts (who

played the oldest son Adam). My teen heart thought he was so cute. LOL

I was intrigued that each son had a different Mom and they all died.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

I recall viewing those shows when I attended college at the U of I (1957 - 1960). It was a custom in our residence hall to spend an hour after dinner watching TV before going to our rooms to study. A group of regulars had set up a schedule such that each night, one person got to choose which show to watch in the after dinner time slot. They cast lots to decide the order of persons making the choice. They found that necessary to quell the mayhem of arguments that resulted when there were no protocol.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Wishiwereintheup - I often sing 'rolling rolling rolling - rolling rolling rolling" around the house when its appropriate

OMG Funny story. back in my late forties/early fifties my girlfriend and I used to go to some pretty divey bars to listen to the bands. One time toward the end of the night some guy asked me to dance. I can't remember the piece but it was a country gospel type thing with a beat. Not a slow dance. Anyway this guy was so buzzed he started making up all sorts of moves including rolling on the floor (guess he thought he was break dancing? LOL) Well he kept rolling at me as if he was a bowling ball and my legs were the pins and I simply evaded him including at times leaping up on the stage while casting looks at the lead singer to end this now please. The band who were friends of mine found it hilarious. So they just kept jamming on and on while I shot daggers at them for not ending this farce. Finally they stopped and after hours during breakfast with them we nicknamed the guy "the roller". But for years every time I walked into a bar when that band was playing they would immediately break into rolling rolling rolling. That was my entrance fanfare.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    4 years ago

Have gun will travel, reads the card of a man

A knight without armor in a savage land

His fast gun for hire, heeds the calling wind

A soldier of fortune, is a man called --- Pal-a- din

Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam

Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home

He travels on to where ever he must

A chess knight of silver is his badge of trust

There are campfire legends that the plainsmen sing

Of the man with the gun, of the man called --- Pal-a- din.

Now I'll be singing this all day