SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideasathome

Kitchen design better with 2 different countertops or the same on all?

A T@Home
4 years ago

As with many of our kitchen selections, we love so much of what is out there, it is hard to make a decision. Drywall on our kitchen remodel is going up this week and then the cabinets are ready for installation. We have been shopping for countertops and I am wondering if we should do the same countertop on the perimeter and the island or different countertops on each. If the same, I would like a lighter granite that works with both the white perimeter cabinets and the stained island. If different, I would lean towards a honed or leathered black on the perimeter and a lighter granite on the island. We'd like to stay with natural stone (as opposed to quartz) if possible.

Are there any rules here? I thought two different cabinet colors meant you should use the same countertop, but I see lots of photos where they broke that rule and it looks great.

This is the layout of our kitchen. The perimeter is the rangetop wall and then a little piece of counter next to the refrigerator. (If a black counter on the perimeter, will that little piece next to the frig look like an orphan all by itself...Since the ovens and the doorway break up the L-shaped perimeter?) Butler's pantry is in a hallway behind the refrigerator wall that leads to the dining room. Butler's pantry will probably be in a lighter countertop because it does not get a lot of natural light. Cabinets in butler's are white with glass door uppers.

Perimeter Cabinets - Kraftmaid Dove White

Island cabinets - Kraftmaid Cherry Molasses (dark brown with slight grey). This image looks a little more red than it does in person.

Countertops that we like so far...

African Rain (This slab was tagged so still looking for something similar. Looking for something that works with the white, but still has some warmth to it)

Aspen White (This is what I really like, but not sure if it works with the cabinets. This slab was also tagged, so we are heading back out this weekend to look at some other slabs they have. We are going to bring larger doors in both white and stained to see if this will work)

I know the backsplash should be the last thing after the counters are selected, but I can't help but consider that I know I like the look of glazed crackle tiles (something like Encore Ceramics Silver field tiles) with some variation in color from tile to tile, or a white subway. Trying to not let any of that be factor in our decision right now and just focus on the counters and what works with the cabinets.

Floors are red oak - Stain to be determined. Likely brown with a mix of grey. Not sure how dark we will go. We are open based on what looks best with the island and counters.

So, given the layout and cabinet colors, would you recommend something like one of these granites on ALL counters, or something like these on the island and a solid black/grey on perimeter? Or none of the above? :-) Thank you!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!