SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbeq111

Help arrange the new furniture

pbeq111
4 years ago

I finally got new sofa yesterday for the living room (yay! Phew!) Coz we needed seating. The room gets ample sun in the afternoon (south west facing). The family room is a bit tight spaced with leather sofa and tv. My inspiration for the living room is grey and pink. For sparkle I can add a little gold or silver. I am trying out new cushions and accessories From Pier 1 and Home goods. The sofa turned out to be darker than I expected.

I got 2 pink chairs (i love pink, tuftedand veltet texture) for accent and seating.

1. I am trying to lighten up with some white/gold cushions. You can tell the tags are still on. I am not completely happy with the cushions yet. Any suggestions? PS. the kitty accent cushion was just too cute to pass (maybe I will move it to the family room)

2. I need help pulling it together with a rug. Please suggest a painting and a coffee table for this space. The current rug is 64”x40”

3. i would like a way to display some stuff like flowers and decorative items for which i need a horizontal surface.

Curtains will be replaced by tan color to match the walls. The wall under the stairs is painted accent dark brown. The paint and flooring is new. The room has vaulted ceilings. Light fixtures need to be upgraded too. Main entrance is next to the green plant by the 3 windows. I feel i could move around the sofa to be under the stair so that when somebody enters they see the corner seat and the chairs could move under the 3 windows then.

Thanks in advance,

Pri

Comments (32)

• auntthelma
    4 years ago

Does the sofa fit if you rotate it so it is on the wall and stairs and so the windows are not covered?

pbeq111 thanked auntthelma
  • Related Discussions

Please help with furniture selection/arrangement in new screen porch

Q

Comments (3)
    This is with the table the width of the room. It's hard to get a good shot, but the room is quite large.
    ...See More

Please help arrange living room furniture in a new house!!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    To visually open up the room I would suggest lighter drapes close to the wall color without a pattern or with a self pattern. I would remove the stair ladder deal in the corner (they were a passing trend) and clear the TV chest of everything. Consider doing a grouping of pictures around the TV and above it to fill in that area and give the room some needed visual interest. Beverly's layout is very nice, although I've personally found that darker drapes tend to close in a room, but it's your preference. I would consider a rug an absolute must.
    ...See More

Desperately need help with new living room furniture arrangement

Q

Comments (1)
    It’s really hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like you have the furniture out too far from one another because you are trying to put them against the wall. You want to center everything on the fireplace and shoot for no more than six feet between your seating pieces. Once you bring everything closer in, I think you will need to eliminate one of the chairs or replace them with another loveseat.
    ...See More

Design help needed with new furniture arrangement ideas

Q

Comments (4)
    A 3-seat sofa and two upholstered armchairs are the most flexible to arrange. People like to have arms to lean on, and sectionals don't offer that to the majority of guests, plus no one wants to sit in the corner unless you have 5-year olds who want to wrestle and argue over the corner seat. Can you get a second chair like the one you have already? Your coffee table is a bit too large and bulky for the room and a sectional will be too. Can't see where the entry is, but your room will be more welcoming if the TV is not the first thing guests see on entering. Maybe the sofa and TV walls need to flip. If you keep the TV credenza, I would paint it to match the woodwork and built-in cabinet.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am glad you kept the tags on because the scheme isn’t working.

The sectional is driving the decorating bus and delicate pinks just are, well, too delicate.

Right now you have two colors: tan and dark gray. (Paint the stair wall the tan.)

Here is my suggestion for the window treatment and style of accent chair (you need only one chair). Choose a rug in the color of the walls, and make sure you buy one large enough so the front legs of sectional and accent chair are on the rug. The rug need not be boring. Loving this Tibetan rug from Overstock.

pbeq111 thanked JudyG Designs
  • pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Auntthelma, yes the sectional can be moved. The part under the stair will be hanging 6” outside the wall

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I also have a south facing window in my kitchen that received too much direct light so I added a wall pergola with a Bleeding Heart vine. Just enough shade to not block the view but cut the amount of direct sunlight.

pbeq111 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Is white rug a better idea? I was thinking of making it two neutral colors (grey and white) and one accent (pink)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

The furniture is too big for the space the rug looks like a girls bedroom rug way too many pillows . As for the windows get solar shades then you keep the view and keep out the heat and the UV rays which BTW will fade that sofa very quickly.You have no roo for a coffee table or lamps take that sectional back and get a sofa to work with the 2 chairs you seem to love.

pbeq111 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Seating is important. family room is to small to entertain

• Sandra Martin
    4 years ago

The sectional is way to big. A small sofa, even a love seat and two accent chairs will be much better. If you want to incorporate pink, I’m afraid you would have to change the wall color all together. Take a look at Articles furniture. They have a pink sofa that’s a good example of adding that eclectic pink, but it doesn’t just go anywhere, the wall color has to compliment it. Even if it’s just in a few pillows or an ottoman, the wall color needs to right for the pink to work. Your wall color and pink don’t coordinate well, I’m afraid to say.

Your wall color lends itself to a sleek sophisticated style like Judyg designs suggested.

pbeq111 thanked Sandra Martin
  • pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

At some point within the next year I will plan to put a room over the living room by making a roof. The vaulted ceiling will go away. Then I can think about repainting the living room. Any color suggestions? At present the vaulted ceilings flow into the stairs and into the open den upstairs. Consequently they are all painted Wise Owl by Kelly Moore. My family room is separated on the other side so I was able to do it in grey with a pop of teal

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

In reality, you have comfortable seating for 5, even with that sofa, unless you have friends who like scrunching together for tea. I would to with a sofa and two or three well chosen chairs. Your drapes don't even have room to hang properly.

pbeq111 thanked lizziesma
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

The sectional is too big. Are you determined to keep it? If so, I suggest taking out the corner wedge--no one wants to sit there anyway--and replacing with a table. That should give the sofa a bit of breathing room, at least enough for the curtains to hang properly.

The fluffy pink rug has to go. It does look like it belongs in a preteen girl's bedroom.

I would remove one of the chairs. You can bring the other one in as needed for more seating.

In your family room, the pictures over the couch are way too high, the ones over the fireplace are way too wide, and the TV needs to find a better place than the corner.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

pbeq111 thanked groveraxle
  • Manon Floreat
    4 years ago

Hi, Pri. As others have noted, your sectional is way too big for the room. If you're open to returning it, you'll have more flexibility. A sofa and two armchairs would work very well here. Here's an option for you using gray, pink, ivory and a little shimmer and sparkle.

pbeq111 thanked Manon Floreat
  • pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@groveraxle, Thanks. I like your idea and the effort you put into doing the image. I like idea for wall art, keep it white and black. Will implement that. I like the rug and the coffee table. Glass top does not pull attention to itself. And the rug is beige, rose and grey. Should I try contemporary rug in the same colors? Or keep it traditional? Thanks.

• pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Manon Floreat, Thanks for your idea and for the time you took to design the room for me. I appreciate it. I did not put dimensions so need to tell you that I cannot do 2 chairs and a console on the opposite wall. It is too small of a space. I was thinking of putting just a console there. I like the rug: Is it tan + blush with some grey? Does traditional or contemporary rug go with my room? Thanks

• pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update: I got sheer tan/gold curtains for the room. They have golden beads on them

• pennydesign
    4 years ago

Well, since you have the sectional, lets help instead of suggesting it's too big...

First, it's a nice cozy space and I like your color choices. I would start with a rug...can the existing one go back?

Also rethink the drapes...there's not much room behind the sectional and I think roman blinds would make the room seem a bit more open (I changed from drapes to roman blinds and it makes a big difference...

pbeq111 thanked pennydesign
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

OK, pbeq, let's see the room with the curtains hung and the pink rug removed.

Regarding a new rug, I would look for something with just a bit of pink to tie it to your color palette, and with some kind of pattern for interest since everything else is solid colors.

• pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks a lot, pennydesign :) I appreciate your suggestions and your approach. The sofa, well, has been bought. But yes the pink rug can go back, it still has the tag on.

What color blinds would you suggest? Blending with the wall or contrasting?

One question I have about changing to blinds is that there is a small window next to the door on the same wall as the 3 windows (if you scroll through the pics above, you may see it) When I change to Roman blinds, do I change that one too? It is right within the room.

Secondly, with vaulted ceilings in the living room, I have 2 windows up top, that fall in the staircase area, but are visible from the room. Can I keep them as is, or do I need to change them too? At a later point, I will think about closing the vaulted ceiling to add a room over it which will make it a closed space hence staircase windows may not show so much in future.

• pbeq111 thanked groveraxle
  • pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

groveraxle, great I like your idea about the rug and pattern :) Thanks for your suggestion. Sorry, I thought I had posted the curtain pic. Will do now

• pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Curtains I was trying. Still got tags in case I have to return

• pennydesign
    4 years ago

Can you post a picture of the other windows so I can get a visual? I have three in my living room and then a bit of wall above then and three more square ones above that....

As far as the window by the door, is that entire space a foyer and is that the only window? If so, then yes I would include it as part of the living space...

pbeq111 thanked pennydesign
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Not sure about the color of the curtains, but if you're going to close them, you need twice as many panels.

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    4 years ago

Several issues I immediately notice with this room:

(1) You have a sectional that is far too large for the space it is in.

(2) You have disparate colors (tan walls, gray sofa) that don't particularly work well together, and you like pink. ;)

I would use a neutral color, like a soft off-white, to tie the gray and tan in together. I really like the second rug grover axle suggested, as it uses a neutral (the off-white) as the main color, then pulls in the pink you like, some grays/greiges, and also a bit of teal from your family room.

I also agree that you should remove that corner piece of your sectional, and put a square end table there. Right now, it looks as if you've shoehorned that sectional in there. Removing the corner piece will allow you to move the section against the stairs in a little, giving that space some breathing room.

I would suggest drapes in a natural/off-white linen or linen-look fabric. No sparkle/shiny material. Get throw pillows in natural/off-white, maybe one or two max in blush pink, and then throw in a teal. Your sofa material does not lend itself to shiny/satiny, so look for more natural textures. The velvet you like would work, but look for plain pillows, no additional sparkly beads, etc.

pbeq111 thanked Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

A little different approach might be to bring in some bolder colors to compete with that huge sectional. I could see some brighter pinks and lime green. Add a modern area rug. Get some kind of round tufted ottoman instead of the chairs. For all the windows I would do natural shades. And finally a big graphic poster for the wall behind the sofa.

pbeq111 thanked suzyq53
  • suzyq53
    4 years ago

I couldn't find really good pics for you but here are a few that might give you an idea of what I meant. I know you won't have all these elements, but these show the vibe.

pbeq111 thanked suzyq53
  • Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

Love grovers suggestion to remove the corner piece of the sectional and replace with a table. What about a dyed wool rug, that includes your deep pink hues?

pbeq111 thanked Dawn Martinez
  • pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I got a black n white canvas painting to try out

• pbeq111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

But i do like the artwork with large white matte. Or i could make an abstract art in grey . Below is the one I bought

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!