SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_ricci

Please help me choose my kitchen flooring.

Elaine Ricci
4 years ago

My husband is getting me a new kitchen floor for my birthday. The old one is serviceable but has damaged spots that are currently hidden by rugs. It is also vinyl -- not my favorite due to environmental considerations. Neither of us would prefer linoleum (hubby doesn't like the look, and I balk at the maintenance issue), so we are looking primarily at ceramic tile.

I fondly describe our house (in which we've lived for nearly a year and a half) as "1985 faux-Victorian cottage". It is, I believe, our forever home, as I am nearly 51 years old and hubby is 66. Our decor can, IMO, best be described as eclectic, with much that is traditional, transitional, and bohemian. We have kept quite a few things from the previous owners and are changing only those things that seem important to us to change. We really don't care what anyone thinks is "dated", as we like what we like and update as we see fit. What I am seeking is an honest opinion on the flooring and what options would work vs. what options would clash or make things look too busy.

I love the look of checkerboard tile (particularly black and white); however, I have noticed that most pictures of such flooring feature solid-colored countertops, and ours (which I love also) are granite, so I worry that the checkerboard would look too "busy". I'd be happy with tiling similar to that of our laundry room and powder room, but hubb9y has dismissed that option as "boring". He, being a retired geologist, likes the stone look, which is fine with me. Here are pictures of the space with current flooring, the "boring" laundry room floor, and a flooring option that we both agree has potential. I would greatly appreciate your perspective.

Comments (16)