SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Food costs and preferences then and now

lucillle
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I was thinking this morning about Grandma's stuffed cabbage and how wonderful it was, but also about the various types of meat/veggies used back then in her time and how different things are now.

Some people think it is not proper to eat certain kinds of meat for instance such as horse or goat or rabbit. There also seems to be controversy about selling horses for meat purposes. Is it the actual using of horse meat that is the issue, or the fact that in many places the killing process is scary/painful and we do not (of course) want our beautiful pets mishandled even at the end of their life, even if they die of natural causes. What about cattle? What about cats and dogs which meat could be used? What about people? What about guinea pigs? (My son was served guinea pig in a restaurant when he and his wife visited Peru years ago, it is apparently a common meat source). I'm thinking that no matter what kind of animal one uses for meat purposes, their death should by managed in a way that there is not pain or upset. How realistic that is I don't know but I have heard some upsetting stories about hunting/killing for meat, and commercial meat processing.

I do remember that in our grandparent's day and even some of our parents who lived through the Great Depression that almost no part of anything animal or vegetable was wasted. And fruits weren't picture perfect in the stores like they are now.

If some unanticipated event should cause food prices to really skyrocket, how many of us who are used to one type of food could think back to their grandma's recipes when various edibles were scarce and create nutritious and delicious meals? A cabbage, a bit of meat, a few other ingredients and my Grandma could serve up a wonderful dinner.

Comments (18)