Another Inspiring Personal Development Story

elvis

Recenty I started a thread about a young woman who grew up homeless and managed, through strength of character and great attitude to achieve academic success. Here's another great example of a young American overcoming personal obstacles to make a better life for himself.

Michael Watson, 18, battled his weight his entire life but decided to make a lasting change when he looked in a mirror his sophomore year of high school...

...Watson, now a high school senior in Canton, Ohio, started by walking to and from school every day, more than 40 minutes round trip. He walked to school every day of his junior year, no matter whether it was hot, raining or snowing. “When I took the bus to school, I’d want to sit by a kid and they’d say, ‘No, go sit somewhere else because I was so big,’” Watson recalled. “When I started walking, I didn’t even know what time the bus came and that was my motivation, ‘I have to walk.’” Watson also changed his diet, working with his dad to learn how to count calories and then forgoing his normal fast food meals for salads, oatmeal and soup.

"What motivated me was stepping on the scale.” “I’d see that I was 290 [pounds] and say, ‘Let’s get to 280, come on Michael, you got this,’” he said. Watson started at his highest weight of 325 pounds. He now weighs 210 pounds, achieving a 115 pound weight loss. In addition to walking, Watson now lifts weights in a home gym he created in his family's garage.

"I lost a lot of my insecurities when I lost all that weight,” he said. “You work for it and you get it, so it feels amazing for sure.”

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/high-school-senior-loses-115-pounds-walking-school-080637458--abc-news-wellness.html

SaveComment24Like3
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrskjun(9)

I need him for a coach. So many kids are overweight today. He should be an inspiration.

1 Like Save     Thanked by elvis
sunflower_petal(5a)

I really dislike broad-brushing people like this. What is your idea of "so many kids", mrskjun? 10%, 40%, 70%?

I am, of course, really happy for this individual and I hope his story is an inspiration to others.

Save     Thanked by elvis
Chi

Good for him for getting in shape at such a young age. I hope he can maintain it.

sunflower_petal(5a)

I like to think that if they hadn't cut recess out of so many schools that kids would be more active.

Only 5 states require recess in schools: https://www.stateofobesity.org/state-policy/policies/recess/

VedaBeeps SoCal 9b/10a(9b/10)

Sunflower, mrskjun probably does see a lot of obese children, LA has one of the highest obesity rates in America. It’s very noticable when you travel there.

Save    
mudhouse

I really dislike broad-brushing people like this. What is your idea of "so many kids", mrskjun? 10%, 40%, 70%?

I agree with mrskjun; so many kids are overweight today, and it's a bad trend. Stories like this don't get a lot of play in the news, but it sure would be better if they did.

From the Centers for Disease Control website:

In the United States, the percentage of children and adolescents affected by obesity has more than tripled since the 1970s. Data from 2015-2016 show that nearly 1 in 5 school age children and young people (6 to 19 years) in the United States has obesity.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/obesity/facts.htm

2 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
elvis

sunflower wrote that she really dislike[s] broad-brushing people like this, but

according to the CDC:

Apr 29, 2019 - In the United States, the percentage of children and adolescents affected by obesity has more than tripled since the 1970s. Data from 2015-2016 show that nearly 1 in 5 school age children and young people (6 to 19 years) in the United States has obesity

VB wrote that LA has one of the highest obesity rates in America.

True. After West Virginia and Kentucky. Alabama, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas are close runners-up for that dubious prize.

If you want a healthy-weight child, it looks like the Mormons are doing something right. Utah is lowest.

ETA a bit of cross-posting there. Sorry, Mud!

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

Lol Elvis, we both reached for the same stats.

I'm kind of surprised my own state didn't rank at the top. (But that's just from my very unscientific survey of kids I see at McDonalds, when we grab senior coffees.)

dockside_gw

. (But that's just from my very unscientific survey of kids I see at McDonalds, when we grab senior coffees.)

This comment, IMO, is very telling. Fast food has been the ruination of many, weight-wise. The French are even now seeing obesity in higher numbers. On one of our recent trips there, I had to go to McD's to get internet access in the little town where we were staying. The majority of the fat people I saw in France were at McDonald's. Not good.

ETA: Biut, at least in France there is no drive through. You have to go in and sit down to eat or carry-out. It shows in the pristine countryside. No thrown-out containers lining the roads.

sunflower_petal(5a)

I asked for her definition of so many:

What is your idea of "so many kids", mrskjun?

Is 1 in 5 "so many"; 20%?

Save    
cattyles

Mudhouse, good for you just having senior coffee. Good thing Repubs never virtue signal. That would make it kind of awkward when accusing others.

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

cattyles, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but that's really all we have there, almost all the time. Sometimes I'm tempted by the ice cream cones that go by, but I've trained myself to look (but not too obviously) at the butts of the people in line in front of me, and by the time I get to the counter, all I order is coffee. With no sugar. The coffee isn't bad at all, to be honest. Two senior coffees for $1.09, such a deal.

I agree with you, dockside, that fast food can be part of the problem. And when I see the tab for some big families who order burgers, fries, and shakes for the whole crew, I think about how much healthier food they might have bought elsewhere for the same amount. But now I'm sounding like a critical Republican...

mudhouse

Watson really is a good looking kid. The best thing is how much happier he looks now. I like the story because I think sometimes people (especially kids) forget that just trying to be a better person is as much of a worthy goal as trying to have the fanciest smart phone or newest car. I bet his self respect has gone way up.

"Michael is a young man who aspired to be able to be a better person for himself. We're not talking about athletic accomplishments or academic accomplishments, this is a personal development success," he said. "We need to pay more attention to personal development successes with students."

artemis_ma

Kudos to this guy!!!

mrskjun(9)

"(CNN)The number of obese children and adolescents rose to 124 million in 2016 -- more than 10 times higher than the 11 million classified as obese 40 years ago, in 1975. "

https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/health/child-adolescent-obesity-global-increase/index.html

elvis

I wonder if people overfeed their kids in much the same way they overfeed their pets. Food = love?

Save    
artemis_ma

Mrskjun, your first link didn't work - but probably was my browser.

mrskjun(9)

artemis, under State Health Facts you will see

sunflower_petal(5a)

Again, mrskjun, what number were you thinking of when you said 'so many'? It's not a gotcha question, I'm just curious.

mrskjun(9)

So the CNN report isn't good enough? State statistics don't count? Sorry sunflower, I haven't personally gone out and counted. I prefer to allow those that do those kinds of studies to inform me. And they have certainly informed me that obesity has become a problem with kids.

btw, if you have a study that disputes these findings I would be happy to read it.

sunflower_petal(5a)

Again, no gotcha here. I was just curious what figure you had in mind when you said 'so many'; the source I found for my own curiosity included both obese and overweight.

Nearly 32% of children and adolescents are either overweight or obese.4

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/obesity/conditioninfo/risk

kaych

Thanks for the inspirational story elvis! I do believe that people in general eat more junk food including highly processed foods with all types of additives that is a huge contributor to the overweight & obese population, than say 50 or so years ago. (fortunately, I've never struggled with my weight)

Exercise was mentioned as being very helpful as well as watching more closely what is being ingested. What IMO is another major factor not mentioned in the article, especially in our children, is the overwhelming number of hours spent on technological devices. This societal change has yet another downside that I don't think is being reported on as much as it should be, & is a contributing factor in our growing weight as a nation.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis

Related Stories

Houzz Call What Person, Place or Thing Inspired Your Home Design?
Was it a movie? A vacation view? A colorful scarf? Tell us what sparked your vision and how you brought it to life
Full Story
Decorating Guides Give Your Home a History by Telling Your Story
Share your family's epic saga — or even just kiddie doodles — for a home that's personal, meaningful and inspiring
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Ancient and New Tell a Story in San Francisco
Chinese artifacts join 1970s art and much more in a highly personal, lovingly reincarnated 1896 home
Full Story
Pattern History Comes Home: The Story of Toile
Woodcut-Inspired Toile Adds Delicate Color and Pattern to a Room. Is It for You?
Full Story
Features Design Workshop: Materials That Tell a Story
See how wood, concrete and stone convey ideas about history, personal taste and much more
Full Story
Accessories Textile Textbook: Vintage Fabrics Tell a Story
We share a dozen ways to honor the past with heirloom textiles
Full Story
My Houzz Readers’ Favorite My Houzz Stories of 2016
A floating house, a backyard shed and a century-old farmhouse make the top 10 creative homes this year
Full Story
Paths Create a Garden That Tells a Story
Take design cues from punctuation marks for a garden with order and intrigue
Full Story
Working With Pros Tell Us Your Houzz Success Story
By Houzz
Have you used the site to connect with professionals, browse photos and more to make your project run smoother? We want to hear your story
Full Story