Walmart warns of higher prices from tariffs

freeshoesfsu

And Gas Prices? Near $3/gallon in a lot of places.

Nicely done daffy donald

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freeshoesfsu

Is trump still skipping tariffs on his daughter's clothing?

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

I haven't set foot in Walmart in years.

Tick tock Donnie, Christmas will be here before you know it.

Save    
chase_gw

That's what is so wrong about these tariffs. They hit lower incomes , farmers and small manufacturing companies the most.......those that really can't afford it. Interesting though that Trump is only talking a taxpayer bailout for the farmers.

1 Like Save    
mr1010

I keep hearing people discussing 25% increases on prices of clothes, shoes, furniture and loads of other things.

Some farmers are not planting soybeans this year and going back to planting for hay. But it takes over $100,000 to acquire hay planting and harvesting equipment.

No wonder younger family members are refusing to continue farming. Many of these farms will go fallow or be sold for development.

Save    
VedaBeeps SoCal 9b/10a(9b/10)

People shopping at Walmart and buying Chinese made goods are part of the reason things aren’t made in the US any more.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Welcome, 'freeshoesfsu'!

Save    
artemis_ma

People shopping at Walmart and buying Chinese made goods are part of the reason things aren’t made in the US any more.

It is hard to find things not made in China these days (in certain categories of purchase). So, effectively, no or little choice. Walmart or elsewhere, still the same.

I try to buy American or at least North American when I can. Kitchen goods are hard. I did find an American source for a new flatware set of utensils, and I understand they're the only folk manufacturing flatware in the US these days.

Will have to note - Chinese made goods are (probably - haven't bought stuff recently) still cheaper than most more-locally made goods. That is ultimately the driving force. So I understand tariffs. But I'd appreciate them being reasonable so that lower income people can still make choices.

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

" People shopping at Walmart and buying Chinese made goods are part of the reason things aren’t made in the US any more. "

It is a bit of a vicious cycle. People buy them and businesses think that's what people want and they cut back on the more expensive US made products and then those guys go out of business until all that's left are the imports.

2 Likes Save    
artemis_ma

Sunflower - true. I was going to amend my post to add something like that in, but you said it better than I had planned...

Save    

You vote with your dollars everyday.

Save    
HU9999

I would never buy anything at Walmart. However, I am extremely fortunate that I do not have to buy anything at Walmart. I can choose to purchase it elsewhere.

Unfortunately, too many people cannot make that choice because they cannot afford to purchase it elsewhere.

That's the problem. And the Waltons and the Republicans don't give a damn.

1 Like Save    

“Unfortunately, too many people cannot make that choice because they cannot afford to purchase it elsewhere.“

Most comparisons show that when Walmart was cheaper, and they aren’t always, it’s pennies. One stat is a person would save 46 cents per hundred by shopping at Target, Aldi usually wins for groceries. Kroger sale items can be cheaper since they’re really trying to compete, Dollar Tree is often cheaper by unit price, etc.

People who are shopping with discretionary income and buying non-essentials could be making the effort to buy American made but few people do. Mostly people just like to complain.

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

In some rural areas, Walmart is the only choice, although Dollar General/Tree stores are catching up.

Save    

In some areas that is true but in areas its not people are still spending discretionary income on Chinese made goods and then complaining about a lack of US jobs and manufacturing and it’s not a partisan issue, left right and center are guilty.

ETA: my DH makes and sells a unique item for $100 (its not his primary job, it started as a fun thing and turned into making and selling a couple thousand of them.) Each component of this object is American made, including some parts that he designed and has manufactured locally here in Southern California by old school craftsman that have been doing this work for decades- a total dying breed. He is constanly asked why he doesnt/ is told that he should having them made in China so he could make more money on them. He patiently explains WHY they are completely American made and some people think he’s a sucker for not making more money. They truly don’t get it. They complain about the loss of American jobs, they complain that the younger generation has no skills but they don’t do anything to support that happening.

It’s as ridiculous as buying foreign made Trump gear and saying you voted for him to save American jobs. Total hypocracy.

1 Like Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

True, but as artemis said, it can be really hard to find things that were not made overseas. I look at labels almost all the time, sometimes just out of curiosity. It is 95% made overseas (and I am not shopping at Walmart).

Save    
chase_gw

Do you really think that the products in Target and Dollar Tree are made in America?

Finding made in NA is a challenge....and when you do it is not price competitive.

Save    

Chase, you can see that the quote I copied and responded to was about price and I do recognize that issue is important to people buying necessities on low incomes. Then I discussed discretionary income.

It absolutely can be challenging to find items that are US and NA made but if it’s important to you, you do it. It sometimes means putting off purchases of nonessentials until an acceptable source is found.

Save    
Sofia

But............ but .................... Trump said China would pay for the tariffs

How can this be?

Is Trump really that dumb?

Save    
chase_gw

"It absolutely can be challenging to find items that are US and NA made but if it’s important to you, you do it. It sometimes means putting off purchases of nonessentials until an acceptable source is found."

I don't disagree if you have the discretionary income, time and inclination.........and are willing to go without . Truth is that isn't many of us.

Save    
maddie260

Think again if you think 'made in the USA' means that. The product can be made elsewhere. one tiny part can be slapped on here, and the label 'made in the USA' can be slapped on here. I read about this scam years ago with women's handbags, clothing, and all sorts of merchandise. We are being scammed.

2 Likes Save    

Related Stories

Most Popular A Moving Diary: Lessons From Selling My Home
After 79 days of home cleaning, staging and — at last — selling, a mom comes away with a top must-do for her next abode
Full Story
Most Popular 20 Kitchen Must-Haves From Houzz Readers
We asked you to tell us your top kitchen amenities. See what popular kitchen features made the list
Full Story
Most Popular From Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
Most Popular Standouts From the 2014 Kitchen & Bath Industry Show
Check out the latest and greatest in sinks, ovens, countertop materials and more
Full Story
Kitchen Trends 11 Enduring Kitchen Ideas From the Industry’s Biggest Event
We visited the Kitchen and Bath Industry Show and found that many familiar kitchen features appear to be here to stay
Full Story
Most Popular 8 Lessons on Renovating a House from Someone Who's Living It
So you think DIY remodeling is going to be fun? Here is one homeowner's list of what you may be getting yourself into
Full Story
Tiny Houses Life Lessons From 10 Years of Living in 84 Square Feet
Dee Williams was looking for a richer life. She found it by moving into a very tiny house
Full Story
Most Popular What I Learned From My Master Bathroom Renovation
Houzz writer Becky Harris lived through her own remodel recently. She shares what it was like and gives her top tips
Full Story
Architecture Get What You Need From the House You Have
6 ways to rethink your house and get that extra living space you need now
Full Story