Maine passes bill to elect president on national popular vote

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Bye, bye, Electoral College?

The anti-Electoral College movement begins!

----------------------------------

"The Maine Senate voted 19-16 in favour of joining 15 other states in an agreement aimed at reforming the electoral system.

Under the current electoral college system, voters effectively cast ballots for state electors who in turn select their party's presidential candidate. It gives small states disproportionate influence over who enters the White House.

The mechanism allowed Donald Trump to claim victory over Hillary Clinton in 2016 despite receiving 2.87 million fewer votes nationwide.

Maine’s senators voted to sign to National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which would automatically allocate the state’s electoral college votes to the most popular presidential candidate.

The bill will now go to the state's House of Representatives, and would also need to be signed off by governor Janet Mills.

The agreement has already been signed by California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state, and the District of Columbia.

But it will only come into effect if states which elect a majority of the 538 members of the electoral college adopt the system. Maine, which elects four electoral college members, would take the current total to 189 out of the 270 needed.

Troy Jackson, the Democrat senator who proposed the bill in Maine, said the current system "gives candidates no reason to campaign or pay attention to voters in states where they are easily ahead or way behind".

He added the majority of Americans supported a system to elect their president on popular vote."

https://news.yahoo.com/maine-passes-bill-reform-electoral-084550121.html

--------------------------------------

This is one movement I'm more than ready to join! I'm tired of a couple ranchers in Montana having way more say-so about who will be president than do hundreds of thousands of big-city dwellers in another state.

Kate

SaveComment32Like3
Comments (32)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chi

Agreed! The electoral college was useful 200 years ago, when isolated farmers had limited information, but that is no longer the case. The internet is the great equalizer.

I don't expect this will ever pass, as Republicans know the electoral college is the only way they have won elections in the last 20 years, and why would they give that advantage away?

I'm glad people are starting to challenge this system though, as that's the only way for eventual change. It's crazy to me that a president can win the election when more people voted against him than for him.

3 Likes Save    
Chi

A good compromise would be changing electoral votes so that they aren't all or nothing. All states would split them based on popular vote. That way everyone in deep blue or red states would feel their vote mattered.

4 Likes Save    
JodiK

Even though the idea of the Electoral College may have served a purpose at one time in our history, that time has long passed.

Elections should be by popular vote... our votes should actually count!

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

"Democrats should forget about changing the rules and start worrying about their performance."

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/385525-think-we-should-do-away-with-the-electoral-college-think-again

Save    
dandyfopp

The will of the majority should not be suppressed. Roll on.

3 Likes Save    
Chi

"Democrats should forget about changing the rules and start worrying about their performance."

Aka "Democrats should stop trying to change the only thing that wins us elections, because we can't win the popular vote"

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

What is so funny, is dems never seem to learn. They change this, the next time Republicans win the popular vote and dems would have won the electoral college they would be clamoring to change it back. It's worked for over 200 years. It will work for the next 200 for either side of the aisle. Hillary could have gone to Wisconsin you know.

Save    
Chi

"They change this, the next time Republicans win the popular vote and dems would have won the electoral college they would be clamoring to change it back"

No, I think all votes should count equally. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but everyone should have an equal say.

"It's worked for over 200 years. It will work for the next 200 for either side of the aisle."

It's worked for Republicans. Everyone else thinks it's dumb that a president can still win despite more people voting for someone else.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Well, the popular vote isn't part of our electoral franchise as described in the Constitution. Our elected officials have a sworn oath to protect the Constitution. You might have some problems there.

Save    
dandyfopp

Our elected officials concern over the constitution is situational at best, situation being, does it help Donnie?

Nope. Every persons vote should count. Every American who values that right should agree.

4 Likes Save    
Chi

True, but the Constitution can be changed, as it has before. No one said it would be easy to change, but we have to start somewhere.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

You want to start with the 14th amendment? That's a flip for the democrats. The white nationalists might agree with you.

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Republicans haven't won the popular vote in 6 out of the last 7 elections. I'm not worried.

Save    
heri _ cles

We need to have Constitutional Convention to make some needed changes that are long overdue. Trump is above the law? Can't be indicted or even investigated? Come on...

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

It's worked for over 200 years.

You don't think this country is quite different from what it was 200 years ago?? Stagnation is all the republicans believe in.

Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Have to disagree about a constitutional convention, heri. That could turn into a disaster.

Save    
Chi

While we are at it, I would like to see the Senate majority leaders stripped of some power. I think it's absurd that one person can decide what 100 elected representatives can vote on. We elect our senators to represent us and if they aren't allowed to even vote, our voices aren't being heard. Anything that passes one house should automatically be voted in the other.

6 Likes Save    
heri _ cles

Where is it written that Republicans can unilaterally change the number of Supreme Court Justices from 9 to 8, as they did when they refused to hold hearings on president Obama's S Ct. nominee ? The Senate is supposed to advise and consent....not deny and do as they please.

And that was done by an pout control GOP Senate... 2 Senators for each State regardless of population? LOL. That is ridiculous given the power that is conferred on that body.

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

Exactly. In the past the governance of this country relied on trust, honor and civility by its elected officials. That has gone out the window with this president and his lackeys. We can't count on these character traits any more. We need assurances that we will never again be subject to a rogue president and his gang in congress. I think we are in Civil War territory lately.

I agree with you heri about the senate. Two senators for Wyoming? Really??? Population: 577,737

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

not deny and do as they please.

Same advice for the House? lol

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

The house is trying to do its job.

Save    
Chi

It should apply to all Congess, Senate or House, Republican or Democrat. It's dumb that one person can wield that kind of power when they are supposed to be representatives of the people.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Nope. Every persons vote should count. Every American who values that right should agree.

Are you suggesting to make a law that every American citizen has to vote? That's the only way to get the true popular vote, and you do want the full true vote, I assume? People in Maine have no reason to vote now. Their votes will be given away and the rest of the country will decide how their votes count. There is no legal statute for the popular vote so I don't see how these states can get away with it.

If any State shall exclude any of her adult male citizens from the
elective franchise, or abridge that right
, she shall forfeit her right
to representation in the same proportion. The effect of this provision
will be either to compel the States to grant universal suffrage or so
shear them of their power as to keep them forever in a hopeless minority
in the national Government, both legislative and executive.

Hmmm...

Save    
Chi

"People in Maine have no reason to vote now. Their votes will be given away and the rest of the country will decide how their votes count"

How do you figure? One person = one vote, no matter if they are in Maine or California.

I feel like how things are now causes votes not to matter. A lot of Republicans in deep blue states don't bother, and a lot of Democrats in deep red states don't bother because their votes don't matter at the presidential level. A popular vote makes everyone's individual vote count, no matter which state they are from.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

But the person in Maine's vote did contribute to the total national vote ... so it mattered.

Save    
lurker111

What is the legal statute to support that? You're trying to combine the
electoral votes with the meaningless
popular vote. This is nothing more than rigging the electoral college.
How can these states charge taxes if they aren't representing their
citizens?

Save    
paprikash

Dem logic: if you can’t win following the rules, change the rules. LOL

The dems prove once again that they are most definitely whining snowflakes incapable of accepting LOSING an election

Save    
Chi

Why is the popular vote meaningless? Why is someone's vote in Nebraska worth more than someone's vote in California? Why does someone in Nebraska get a bigger say about who is the president of the whole country than someone in California? How is that fair?

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

" How can these states charge taxes if they aren't representing their
citizens? "

Living in a red state now, I don't feel like my elected officials represent me.

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Paprikash, sometimes the rules are outdated and need to be reconsidered.

Ask Trump about changing the rules - he keeps demanding that McConnell change the Senate rules so that more judges can be approved.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Absolutely Chi, people cant seem to separate the voter from the state. When candidates have to woo individual voters in order to win the presidency that is going to be a game changer. They would have to abandon the present system of going where the most electoral votes are that are in play. I can see how that would make people queasy. Still, more people might actually vote if they thought their vote would count for something. Just because California has a large population there is no reason so many of them will not count when it comes to a presidential election.

Save    
artemis_ma

I like the overall concept, but I'm thinking that simply dividing up the electoral votes by how people voted in the state itself is sufficient. (Maine, I believe, already does that.) We just need this to be universal for all the states, not the winner by 1000 votes takes an entire state.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Budgeting Your Project Bathroom Workbook: How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
Learn what features to expect for $3,000 to $100,000-plus, to help you plan your bathroom remodel
Full Story
Most Popular The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
Tiny Houses Can You Live a Full Life in 220 Square Feet?
By Houzz
Adjusting mind-sets along with furniture may be the key to happiness for tiny-home dwellers
Full Story
Most Popular 11 Ways to Save Water at Home
Whether you live in a drought-stricken area or just want to help preserve a precious resource, here are things you can do to use less water
Full Story
Vintage Style Why We Love Midcentury Modern Design
There's a method to all this 'Mad Men'-ness — just look to psychology, tough times and, believe it or not, Apple
Full Story
Life Is Open-Plan Living a Fad, or Here to Stay?
Architects, designers and Houzzers around the world have their say on this trend and predict how our homes might evolve
Full Story
Cleaning Dishwasher vs. Hand-Washing Debate Finally Solved — Sort Of
Readers in 8 countries weigh in on whether an appliance saves time, water and sanity or if washing by hand is the only saving grace
Full Story
Most Popular Going Solar at Home: Solar Panel Basics
Save money on electricity and reduce your carbon footprint by installing photovoltaic panels. This guide will help you get started
Full Story