The Easy Lie - Ring any bells?

Delilah66

”He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells lies without attending to it, and truths without the world’s believing him. This falsehood of the tongue leads to that of the heart, and in time deprives all its good dispositions.” Thomas Jefferson

SaveComment19Like2
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freeshoesfsu

The whole of the GOP leadership and voters!

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Wow, one of our Founding Fathers. Imagine that. People were lying even back then.

Save    
JodiK

Just another day at the office for trump... eh, Jane? I'm not sure the man knows the difference between truth and lies.

The only language he speaks is "more for me".

3 Likes Save    
dockside_gw

I'm not sure the man knows the difference between truth and lies.

Oh, I'm positive that he does not know the difference. His telling one lie and a few sentences or days later says something the complete opposite is proof that he has no idea. He just believes that whatever he says at that moment is true, just because he says it. The man is mentally ill.

4 Likes Save    
don_socal

He could probably pass a lie detector test because he has no emotional response to telling lies.

8 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Exactly, Don. Trump has a complete defect in empathy. Utter lack of conscience, so evident in a malignant narcissist.

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

“Wow, one of our Founding Fathers. Imagine that. People were lying even back then.”

Yes, it’s unfortunate, but humans do lie. It’s also unfortunate that humans of sort elected the liar residing in the White House.

1 Like Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Yes, well my sarcastic point about lying back then was that it is the reason we have checks and balances as designed by the Founding Fathers. They knew there were people who would lie and try to use the office for their advantage.

Save    
leona_2008

I think trump knows the difference between the truth and lies. he simply does not value honesty like most people do. he has gotten away with lying his entire life, it seems, so he has no reason to change now. Getting elected had a steroid effect on his ego and his sense of entitlement. In his mind, this is his country now, as in he owns it, to rule over however he wants.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

And the point of my response to your sarcasm was: we have a liar in the White House elected by humans who don’t care about lies.

Save    
queenmargo

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Margie, Trumpy Bear comes with an American flag cape! We have two, his and hers. ;D

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Delilah66, I think there is a post missing; I don't think my reply was to you.

Save    
chase_gw

I know that Trump supporters either don't think he lies or don't care that he lies...but the facts are he lies all the time. Both big lies and little lies. The result of that is not just something to be brushed aside or ignored , as his supporters do, the consequences are very high and threaten both American and International economies and security.

Nobody , other than his loyal base, believes Trump or trusts Trumps. His word cannot be counted on ...... world leaders know this and Congress , including Republicans, knows this. That is why he can't get deals done, those on the other side don't trust him and don't believe he will keep his word.

It's like the asylum proposal . One of the recommendations is to have more consulates outside to the States so people can apply from their own country. I heard a Democrat say that they could go with that but he doesn't trust Trump to staff them properly or keep them open. So he won't support it.

There is a huge price to be paid when the "leader of the free world" can't be trusted to speak the truth or to keep his word.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Agreed, chase, once you've lost trust, there's nothing left when it comes to negotiations. Basically, that's what China is saying.

Save    
JodiK

Trust is one of the key building blocks to any relationship. Without it, there can be no relationship worth having.

Save    
elvis

You want a relationship with the president?

Save    
dockside_gw

You want a relationship with the president?

I want a president who our allies can trust as they have a relationship with the U.S. and its leader. I want a president who our trading partners can trust - they also have a relationship with the U.S. and its leader.

Do you now understand what jodik meant? Or are you just nit-picking and heel-biting?

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Christmas Holiday DIY: Handmade Ring Holder and Pompom-Embellished Stocking
These last-minute projects will add a creative touch to your holiday decor and gift-giving
Full Story
Green Decorating Easy Green: 23 Ways to Reduce Waste at Home
Pick from this plethora of earth-friendly ideas to send less to the landfill and keep more money in your pocket
Full Story
Kitchen Countertops Kitchen Counters: Stunning, Easy-Care Engineered Quartz
There's a lot to like about this durable blend of quartz and resin for kitchen countertops, and the downsides are minimal
Full Story