An abortion 'reversal'? Unproved, but included in Ohio bill

dublinbay z6 (KS)

This one is amazing. No medical group recognizes this "abortion reversal" as legitimate, but Ohio anti-choicers want to require info about it in their latest anti-abortion bill.

---------------------

"Republican lawmakers in Ohio want every woman seeking a medical abortion informed that they could reverse that procedure.

But the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologistssays abortion-reversal treatments are not based on science and do not meet clinical standards.

A new Ohio bill would require doctors prescribing medication abortions, which are performed up to 10 weeks into a pregnancy, to provide information about a procedure to reverse abortions in the event the woman changes her mind.

It's backed by Ohio Right to Life, the state's largest organization that opposes abortion.

[. . .]

Dr. George Delgado, a San Diego doctor who labels himself "pro-life," popularized the idea of abortion reversals using progesterone, a hormone that helps maintain pregnancy. But the concept is controversial and doesn't have Food and Drug Administration approval.

Medication abortions involve two drugs. Mifepristone blocks the release of progesterone, which is needed for a healthy pregnancy. Next, misoprostol is taken a day or two later to cause the uterus to contract and expel the embryo or fetus.

Under Delgado's method, a woman would take progesterone after the first drug to halt its effects. He published a study of 754 patients with a 64% rate of successful reversals.

[. . .]

In the meantime, states have passed laws to inform women seeking abortions about the option.

Arkansas was the first in 2015, followed by Arizona and South Dakota. Ohio joins a handful of other states considering the bill this year.

[. . .]

"This is not proven science," said Jaime Miracle, Ohio deputy director of the abortion-rights group NARAL Pro-Choice. "We're forcing doctors to deceive and lie to their patients and no one should be for that."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/abortion-apos-reversal-apos-method-145037332.html

--------------------------------------------

This tactic just underscores how untrustworthy the anti-choice methods are!

Kate

SaveComment16Like3
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Prim Rose

Stupid + stupid always equals stupid.

5 Likes Save    
leona_2008

I have a hard time believing one doctor or even a team could find 754 women either willing to "reverse" an abortion or take a chance of ending a pregnancy they wanted.

But meanwhile, let's get behind this and also give trump a green light to any war he wants to start.

1 Like Save    
arcy_gw

LOL Since when to pro aborts care about 'PROVEN SCIENCE" that's a hoot!! For decades they told girls "that's not a baby it's just tissue of conception" oh ya well MEDICALLY it is a BABY!!!

2 Likes Save    
Jane

If defending your position requires relying on falsehoods, then perhaps you should be questioning whether it’s defensible at all.

When the Georgia abortion bill was signed into law, I heard some armchair OB/GYNs claim that a woman could easily meet this six-week deadline by simply taking a pregnancy test really, really early — like, immediately after sexual intercourse! — to find out whether she had an unwanted pregnancy to terminate.

John Becker, a lawmaker from Ohio, casually suggested that an ectopic pregnancy could be “removed from the fallopian tube and reinserted in the uterus”

A complaint from a gentleman annoyed that menstruating women felt the need to waste money on sanitary products. Why didn’t they just learn to “hold it,” he suggested, the way men kept themselves from urinating?

Prominent pundit Ben Shapiro confidently conflated the concept of “six weeks of pregnancy” with “a six-week-old embryo”

Fertilized eggs take several days to implant in the uterus. And that pregnancy tests are not highly accurate until a period has been missed. And that, even assuming one has a textbook 28-day menstruation cycle — many are longer or far less predictable — a period won’t be missed until at least 15 or 16 days after conception.

Royal-watchers sharing the family photo, innocently wondering why Meghan still looked “fat.”

1 Like Save    
blfenton

mmm My comment is gone. All I did was quote Becker and then called him stupid for thinking that ectopic pregnancies could be transplanted into the uterus. Perhaps ignorant or unknowledgeable would have been ok?

4 Likes Save    
Chi

Not only is that stupid but it's dangerous. An ectopic pregnancy is a medical emergency and it WILL kill the woman if not treated quickly enough. Even with treatment, many lose a fallopian tube, which permanently hinders their fertility.

Women need to know exactly what it is, not be lied to about it being a viable pregnancy that can just be transferred like it's no big deal.

6 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Any of those terms works for me, blfenton.

Kate

Save    
Jane

These comments by men should reinforce the belief that men have no standing, no say, in deciding laws that affect women's reproductive health or women's reproductive decisions.

4 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Men are not at risk with all this misinformation. That would be women. I gather that is just fine?

1 Like Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Makes me wonder if any of these men have women close to them, if not a wife or girlfriend, maybe a sister? They're completely ignorant of how a woman's body works, and just making stuff up. Maybe no woman wants to be anywhere near them and this is why they hate women so much.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I think we should put men at risk for these decisions...then they might change their minds. How about requiring by law that fathers pay into a trust fund for the child upon conception, and throw them in jail if they don't. Or maybe we should require both the mother and father do jail time if they have an abortion and see if that will loosen up these laws. Maybe we should require all men have vasectomies from fecundity and then they can have them reversed if they want children. If men bore any of the responsibility by law, the laws would change, I'm sure.

1 Like Save    
JodiK

How right you are, Annie... it's puzzling, a patriarchal culture in which so much of that patriarchy haven't clue one.

Yeah, next they'll tell us hysterectomies can be reversed.

1 Like Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

" fathers pay into a trust fund for the child upon conception, and throw them in jail if they don't. "

Sounds like a good start.

1 Like Save    
Chi

Oh I like that idea. If an implanted embryo is a child under the law, the fathers should pay 9 months of child support before the child is even born.

The state should also be required to support all these unwanted children until they are 18. If a woman wants an abortion because she can't afford a child, then the state needs to take responsibility if they want to force her to have the baby.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

it's puzzling, a patriarchal culture in which so much of that patriarchy haven't clue one...

and yet I've never seen a woman get pregnant without a man's participation somewhere along the line...

Save    
JodiK

Since the biological father is half responsible, perhaps he should be charged with involuntary manslaughter, or conspiracy to commit murder if termination is the end result of a pregnancy. Or perhaps he should be made to put half the cost of raising a child into escrow, the moment that egg is fertilized, that is.

How odd that our society is so eager to slap down women while giving males a free pass. What, rape? Incest? Obviously, it's HER fault... she's always at fault, I say with much sarcasm.

It just gets more and more embarrassing to admit to being part of the American culture.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 11 Ways to Save Water at Home
Whether you live in a drought-stricken area or just want to help preserve a precious resource, here are things you can do to use less water
Full Story
Events Show News: Rare Quilts Get Museum Time
See 6 intricate designs from a California exhibition and get tips for building your own quilt collection
Full Story
Basements Basement of the Week: Luxurious and Lovely in Tennessee
Bright artwork led to this walk-out’s restful, neutral palette, but the generous amenities are the real soothers here
Full Story