Will China Cash-In?

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Any economists here....or not? What would happen here if China cashed in on it's $1 trillion of our outstanding Fed debt? Xi doesn't appear scared of trump's tariffs, this a is trump card he could play but not sure of it's effect. Interest rates pop? Stock market plunge (more)?

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I can understand why no one even wants to think about this.

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

I really don't know if that is even possible to be honest.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Japan owns almost as much. I don't believe they can call in the so called loans(they are treasuries I believe) but they can sell them. That would affect the interest and value of all such debt instruments in ways I don't have a clue about. It would be a cut off your nose to spite your face thing though for China. They could chose to do it though.

Save    
petalique

China has a lot of power over trump. Perhaps they have already signaled how they will work things (they’d love the fool at the helm for another turn). China has a strategy and plays the long game. Djt cannot hold two thoughts together. He aims only towards the next (“future”) five minutes and heaps of proffered adoration, ‘loyalty,’ and love letters.

MIT students could make a robot to gratify him.

1 Like Save    
palisades_

China has a worry of its own. Since the tariffs started in 2018, its currency has been down nearly 7% against the dollar, making Chinese import goods less expensive, and somewhat offseting the tariffs China imposes. The trade imbalance between US-China is so huge. China would find no more tariffs after $60 billion worth of US goods, while the US can still impose more tariffs on Chinese goods, after the tariffs of $200 billion worth of Chinese goods. US economists will be looking closely at inflation indicator to access the damage from this trade war.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Thx for your thoughts. China "owns" about $1.2 billion of our debt. Since trump is subsidizing US farmers with 10's of billions to make up for his tariffs then China might cash-in, Billions, to also subsidize their industries that will be hurt too. Not sure how it works (no economist) but seems logical to do so?

Also, on China stealing/copying US corps secrets/patients/intellectual property, etc, if they agree to stop doing this would not the price of these things/products increase back here since cheaper knockoffs will no longer be available from China? Stopping China from doing this sounds all well and good for US corps but will US consumers end up paying the price rather US corps?

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

I think China knows they only have about 18 more months to go with this. Once a new US President is elected, they can get back to reasonable negotiations.

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

It depends on if their loan document has an acceleration clause. If it does, then the Chinese can call the entire loan for any default. Are the loan documents between the US and China available for public perusal?

Save    
Kitchenwitch111

I think China knows they only have about 18 more months to go with this. Once a new US President is elected, they can get back to reasonable negotiations.

China just might decide who they would like to have elected and help out with that. And that should be just fine with everyone because there's nothing illegal or criminal about getting help from a foreign country, right, Trumpers?

5 Likes Save    
bob_cville

> Thx for your thoughts. China "owns" about $1.2 billion of our debt.

I thought is was more on the order of $1.2 trillion

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

China owns US Treasury bonds. I think they have a set life? You can sell them before the due date though. I am speaking through my hat though. I only have a vague understanding of debt at that level. I know most of it is owned by us. Still other countries buy them for a host of different reasons. Us going bankrupt would be a bad thing for them.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I thought is was more on the order of $1.2 trillion

Ugh, absolutely Bob!

Us going bankrupt would be a bad thing for them.

That 1.2 trill is about 5% of our total debt so not enough to bankrupt but a sign of weakness that would not be good for US. Just add another trillion to the debt to replace that trillion? Crazy daze. This must be on China's plate if things go down hill from here.

Save    
palisades_

China owns US Treasury bonds. I think they have a set life? You can sell them before the due date though.

Bonds have set maturity dates. You can sell them before the due date but you only get a fraction of the gain. Other countries would not want the US to fail financially.

Save    

Related Stories

Global Style Rouse Your Rooms With China Chic Flair
Book: China's rich aesthetic heritage and cutting-edge modern designers mean exciting things for homes the world over
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Escape the Inheritance Trap: What to Do With Sentimental Pieces
Too meaningful to toss but too hideous, precious or unusual to display? These ideas can help
Full Story
Budget Decorating 14 Ways to Make More Money at a Yard Sale — and Have Fun Too
Maximize profits and have a ball selling your old stuff, with these tips to help you plan, advertise and style your yard sale effectively
Full Story
Vintage Style Budget Decorator: Let’s Go Thrifting
Dip into the treasure trove of secondhand pieces for decor that shows your resourcefulness as much as your personality
Full Story
Life 10 Ways to Live With a Smaller Carbon Footprint
Take these simple steps to reduce your energy use and cut back on waste
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Movie Night for Film Buffs
In a world of rising cinema costs ... at a time when gathering comes naturally ... small screens are hitting the big time
Full Story
Most Popular How to Create a Secret Doorway Behind a Bookcase
Hide your valuables (or unsightly necessities) in a room or nook that no one will guess is there
Full Story
Dining Rooms Jazz Up Your Dining Room for Less Than $500
New lighting, colorful dishware, fun fabrics and other small updates add up to a big-time facelift on a little bitty budget
Full Story
Room Refreshes How to Refresh Your Living Room on Any Budget
Update your living space, whether you have just $100 or as much as $10,000 to spend
Full Story
We offer a unique combination of design flexibility, product quality, expressive creative options, craftmanship... Read More