SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2019, Week 3, The Sunshine Returns

Is this it? Is this the week the sunshine comes roaring back? I think so.

Looking at our local forecast, I know this is true for where I live. I hope it is true for the rest of you as well. I see a lot of partly sunny and sunny days in the general forecast for OK, low chances of rain only in a few places, and warming temperatures up into the 80s towards the end of the week. There's a chance we're actually going to have May weather in May. How cool is that?

With little to no rain falling, perhaps our flooded yards and gardens will start to dry out and get back to normal a bit. I'm excited about that. I know it will take a lot longer for all the rain runoff to work its way down the streams, creeks and rivers and into the lakes, and then even longer after that (weeks? months?) for lake levels to fall back to normal and all that, but any dry weather is progress. I know that here in our county, the county commissioners in each precinct have long lists of washed out roads, damaged roads, etc. that need repair and it is unlikely they'll be able to fix everything any time soon, but at least they'll be able to get started.

I don't really know what sort of work any of us will be able to get done this week as it all hinges on how much our soil dries out.

I hope to mow and get some of the edging done with the string trimmer, but it still may be too wet tomorrow. That might become more of a Tuesday or Wednesday chore. We have some trees whose lower limbs are heavy with lush foliage and hanging low in the yard. I really think we need to prune off some of those lower limbs (something Tim hates doing so I really have to twist his arm to get it done).

In the garden, weeding awaits, and I'd like to transplant some of the daturas, dill, basil and fennel plants that now are popping up everywhere. Some of them are slated for the lower end of the garden, so I'll just have to try walking down there tomorrow or Monday and see how squishy the ground is at this point.

I'm seeing a ton of caterpillars of all kinds---Eastern tent caterpillars, army worms, canker worms, cut worms, etc. I haven't seen any hornworms yet but some people already are seeing them. Some of the army worms have been feeding on my tomato fruit, and they aren't stupid---guess where I found them? On the Cherokee Purple tomatoes. It is amazing they managed to pick one of the best varieties in the garden, isn't it? Wouldn't you think that one green tomato would taste the same as the next?

I've harvested all the broccoli (traditionally it is ready right around Mother's Day, so it is right on schedule even though I planted it later than usual). The heads were smaller than usual, but in this weather I'm just grateful that the plants made heads at all that were not button heads. I had to go ahead and harvest them because they were getting ready to bolt and I wanted to harvest before the heads loosened up too much. The snap peas are blooming. All the ornamental flowering plants look great. Everything else, like potatoes and tomatoes, are growing okay but seem unhappy and have poor color---I think it is the lack of sunshine and warmth, and expect that this week's weather will fix it all.

Our yard and driveway are a chain of mini-lakes and I have no idea when those big puddles will dry up. Despite the much cooler temperatures lately, the mosquito population is huge.

I tried to do a little plant shopping at Lowe's today on our way home from CostCo. They just didn't have much that interested me. We were in Denton, and I actually thought that the Ardmore store had a much better variety of plants 2 weeks ago than what we saw today, so maybe I'll go back there soon.

Happy Mother's Day everyone and I hope you get to spend your Mother's Day doing whatever makes you happy.

Dawn

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert