SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_ebron

What color throw pillows for red, green and gold couch.

Shannon Ebron
4 years ago

Hi Houzzers! I am trying desperately to update my living room. It feels so old and outdated. Don't ask me what I was thinking when I bought this sofa/loveseat set 7 years ago. it big, dark and drab! But being what it is, I would love some ideas of pillows that will help lighten and brighten things up a bit. It's a north facing room so I have limited natural light. Room is being repainted soon in Balboa Mist, pale oak or agreeable grey. I am still undecided on color. But it will definitely be much lighter than it is currently. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (98)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Deco, she has the sofa on the longest wall. It's the only wall without an opening except for the end wall.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Ashtonchic! Thanks for commenting on my post. Lighter walls are on the way. My painter is booked for 3 months and can't get to me until August so I have some time to choose a nice light neutral color. I have a few in mind but really need to make sample boards so I can see how the paint reacts in the room.

I am trying to get away from the English country look as much as possible (although I may not be able to avoid it with this furniture). I really want to freshen things up a bit. I love the pillows in the pictures you attached - so cute!
  • Related Discussions

Help choosing throw pillows

Q

Comments (20)
    I took some more pictures. I am NOT married to the rug. But have no idea when I will be able to spend $800 or so on a new rug. The one we have is in decent condition. The current couch is an army green color. I HATE it. I wanted something more neutral, and the new grey is really not that light. It just shows up very light in the pictures. The guy at the furniture store said that the grey microsuede is a fabric that is easy to clean. Its rated for both Water-soluble cleansers and also dry-clean solutions. I am now leaning toward the sample that I marked "brownish-purple". I think I better go with a solid and update to a pattern later when i know where I am at with the rug. Here is a close-up of the rug And the rug with the grey microsuede (it shows up more brownish) The grey on the current green couch Fabric I am leaning towards (I might see what other colors they have this in)
    ...See More

Help me perfect our throw pillows - curved sofa

Q

Comments (84)
    UPDATE I just received this Fornasetti pillow from Etsy -- it's an outdoor pillow and I intended for use on our deck. However, I kind of like it in my office. What do you think? Perhaps it can live here during the off season.
    ...See More

Gray couches, what kind of throw rug?

Q

Comments (92)
    Walls and flooring help set the tone of the room. Choosing a rug for the current wall color limits you a bit. What about the other spaces connected to LR to create harmony. Purchasing a rug with colors and pattern that you absolutely love is important, however think of your rug as anchoring the room to get that wow factor.
    ...See More

Help choosing throw pillows

Q

Comments (13)
    Wow, thank you guys! I'm glad to receive so much feedback. Sure thing, Yayagal. Here's a better photo of the corner below. I've taken the twigs out of the vases, and I like it better. I hung the pictures lower, and put a throw over the back of the chair. It's just something I had over my bed, but I plan to get a more textured throw later like y'all suggested. Maybe a faux fur one. Right now, I'm looking for a long rod I can hang from one end of the wall to the other over the glass doors, and wide panels that will cover each wall on either side. Trying to turn it into sort of accent wall just by using curtains. See RL Relocations curtain pic above for reference. I'm learning that larger fake plants can be a little expensive. The one I posted above is $500. I was wondering, if put some botanicals coming out of the taller white vase, would that be enough(examples below) or do y'all think a more substantial plant would be appropriate? Thanks again for all the advice!
    ...See More
  • Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Deco, the room is very awkward and my furniture choice was not the best, unfortunately. The couch and loveseat are too big for the space given the placement of the entry to the dining room. I agree the couch is too big to sit in between the windows but I've flipped this room around every way you can possibly think of and this is really the best option.
  • Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gargigg, I can't wait for the carpet to arrive. The Stark Antelocarpa in navy blue is the one I originally fell in love with, it's GORGEOUS!

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Partim, it's amazing what just a few little changes can do for a room. I've had the furniture for seven years and never once thought of just removing the pillows. What a huge difference.
  • Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lisa SW, thank you so much for your recommendation. I actually like the color a lot. I never realized how much paint color changes with the room, furniture, lighting, floors, etc. I picked up a few color sample cards from the paint store and when I get them home the color is completely different from room to room. Once I narrow it down to my favorite two or three colors, I am going to make color boards that I can leave up in each room for a few weeks.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Calidesigns, I can't wait for the carpet to arrive. I love it! I think I'm going to hold off on purchasing the pictures until the carpet is in place. Where would you add a mirror? On the wall that opens to the dining room?
  • Laura Villar
    4 years ago

following

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Shannon, somebody had the brilliant idea to make peel-and-stick samples made with real paint so you don't have to paint your own: https://shop.samplize.com/

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Groveraxle, I like the coffee table you photoshopped into my room. Do you remember where you found it?
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Coffee table at Grandin Road, currently on sale. Check the size, though. Crate & Barrel has a similar one though probably more expensive.

Aria Cocktail Table | Grandin Road · More Info

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    The table is 38 1/2:in diameter - too big.
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I chose the coffee table for the glass top and open look. Look for something similar in a rectangle, maybe something like this.

Hammary Mallory Coffee Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

See if any of these gold rectangular glass-topped coffee tables float your boat:

https://www.wayfair.com/filters/furniture/sb3/coffee-tables-c414602-a3722~9650-a3725~9670-a75130~274148.html?itemsperpage=96

You can further refine the search by size.

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

Like your rug choice!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would put the mirror on the far shorter wall so it is perpendicular to the window, where you currently have the two bird pictures.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• doods
    4 years ago

following

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

But, grover, it has two openings; they're called windows! It has since been cleared out, but that tiny chest was trying to hold down the longest wall. I miss the display cabinet; everything is at the same height around the room now. I thought it would look nice on the wall by the entry if it has a flat back, which it appeared to have. The glass and metal sofa table isn't able to hold its own with the bulky seating, IMO. And, of course, all the artificial plants need to go. I think the issue is that there is really not enough furniture in the room, but the oversized seating hogs all the space.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm curious how you see it laid out differently, Deco. When I move the couch to the wall opposite the window it just doesn't look right to me (see pic below). The cabinet is still there by the way, just not shown in the picture. As far as the sofa table, I only pulled it in from another room to fill the space and to get an idea of what would work on the wall. Trying to make the best of my bad furniture choice.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the links, Grover. I found a smaller round option that I like also. it's actually two table that sit side by side. I'll have to measure it out in the room this weekend so I can get an idea of how and where it would fit.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

With the sofa on that long wall, "L" the love with it at the dining end. Then put the chest you have on the wall between the windows but not perfectly centered, so you can angle the wing chair to the side of it with the lamp for a reading area. It will be the reverse of this but with the chair and chest on the window side. The space left at the far end will be a bit larger, but you can put the display there and flank it with the two slim pictures centered 5' above the floor.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Look what came today...The antelope rug and I LOVE it. It's gorgeous. I can't wait for the rest of my pieces to come. My curtains and table should arrive tomorrow. The pillow will not be here until next week. I ended up with black and white curtains. What do you think? Can I pull it off. I am still looking for wall art and lamps. I like the big flower picture that is currently on the main wall but not quite sure it's what I want.

• partim
    4 years ago

Rug looks great.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Partim. The rug is gorgeous. I am very happy with it.

• partim
    4 years ago

A really big green plant would look great in that sunny spot behind the table lamp. Some are very forgiving. or do you have a green thumb?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I love the rug...but where's my red chair?

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

Rug is perfect for your room!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Love the rug but I don't see black and white working in the space at all. I would use simple linen color drapes in the room, and introduce a color in art, pillows, and accessories. Either green, blue, or red. Or if you want to stay neutral, use cream and gold with a variety of textures.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More progress! Drapes and coffee table. Did I really screw up with he curtains though? I kind of like them, but then again... I obviously have no design sense at all - lol. I can always use them in my dining room if you all think they really don't go.

Grover! I made sure to include your chair in the picture. it's still here (smile). Glad you love the carpet. I am so happy with it.

Partim, I definitely do not have a green thumb at all. Will have to go with forgiving or even fake.

I decided I do not like the black flower picture that was on the back wall. I replaced it with a picture I purchased for my dining room but I think I like it here even more. Maybe two mirror sconces on either side of the picture and move the curio to the opposite wall. The picture is hung high for now. I'll lower it once I make a final decision.

Pillow shipped today and will hopefully arrive Tuesday. I still need lamps and something to go behind the couch and behind Grover's chair. I've searched Wayfair for days and haven't found anything yet.

I like this room so much more now.

• Sandra Grimsley
    4 years ago

I’m late to the conversation, but did you paint yet? I have natural cream in my entire upstairs and it is the best color ever for a neutral color ever. If I could, I would paint my downstairs with it as well, but can’t do it now. Room is looking good!

• Sandra Grimsley
    4 years ago

I would paint before I added anything else to the room, especially curtains and art work. The furniture placement looks good and the rug is fabulous. I know you are wanting to get it pulled together as quickly as possible, but I think you will be doing yourself a disservice to rush and then not be happy. I’d wait till I painted the room before I dealt with anything for walls...just saying.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Shannon, are the curtains blue? They look it. I kind of like them with the blue art. I can't remember the pillow. If it has a bit of blue, it may all work perfectly.

Are you looking for a console table behind the couch and side table for my chair? Maybe something simple like this for the chair.

Sillers Side Table | Pottery Barn · More Info

• Sandra Grimsley
    4 years ago

I’m not a fan of the grommet curtain style for your space, nor am I a fan of the black and white ones for your space either. I would use something with a gold rod like your coffee table. It think that would really update the room and pull it together. Something with a softer pleated like these in the photos is what I picture. As for the color of the curtains, I would go with something fairly neutral so if change the sofas you don’t have to change the curtains.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

I have to chime in and say that I LOVE the rug (I have the smaller version in gray). I like the new art better too. But I do not think the black and white curtains go with the brown/taupe/cream/gold sofas/rug/coffee table. I am all for adding a touch of black to the space but I don't think it works. I'd stick with cream/ivory colored drapes- maybe edged with gold or red like your chair. The black/white style also looks too casual with the sofas. Then add a pillow to bring in the red of the chair and the animal style from the rug (similar but different)

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Sandra! thanks for commenting on my post. I haven't painted yet but can't wait to get it done. I will add natural cream to my sample list. it's a beautiful color. The reason I went with the grommet curtains in this room is because when I look at the pinch pleats the seem to sit a little wider at the bottom. With the couch right there by the window, I am concerned they would not lie right. You can't really see it from the picture but the couch extends past the end of both windows about an inch.

I really love the b/w curtains and luckily i can easily use them in my dining room or even family room if the don't stay in this room. I jwant color in my curtains. I had dreary white sheer blah curtains for so many years that I need a change, and I really like the contrast dark curtains bring to the wall and the space. This whole experience has been a lot of buying and returning, unfortunately.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey Grover! The curtains are black and white. I was thinking since the pillows have black in them I could tie in the black curtains- maybe not. I do have blue drapes in another room that I could try but then I guess I would need a blue pillow too, huh. Below are the pillows I purchased. Not sure which one I am keeping. The Serengeti is on back order from Ballard Designs and will not ship until the 11th so I have plenty of time to cancel. The other pillow will be here Wednesday.

Nice table. I need to pick you up so we can just go shopping! lol - I was thinking of adding end table on each end of the long couch also so I have a place for 2 new lamps.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Houzzers!

A long overdue update and all I can say is this room is still a work in progress. Finding curtains has been a struggle. I cannot tell you how many drapes I've purchased and returned but, on a positive note, I've finally decided on wall art (smile). I ended up purchasing vintage posters and I framed them for use in my living and dining room. I really like them a lot. It is so different than anything I've ever had before. They are fun and bring a totally different feel to the room. I think I may need another pillow or two to add color and I was thinking of ordering a pillow cover that is similar to the dining room rug to tie the two rooms together.

Pictured below are two prints that I plan to frame and use on the wall behind the couch or possibly behind the wing chair. I will have to play around with them to see what works best. They will be framed similar to the one hanging in the living room. I'm still undecided on end tables and whether or not I really need them and I'm always on the lookout for decorative pieces to bring color to the room.

This room has definitely taken a different turn than what I originally intended but I feel like it is more me now.

Would love your input!

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Still love your LR rug! I'm not sure I like the black/white pillow on the brown-ish sofas but I see that you are trying to bring some DR flair into the LR. Your chair is a wine red? What about pillows with that color and some black accent (trim, eg).

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I love what you’ve done so far, the vintage prints, the black and white striped lamps, the monkey (?) on the table. Not too sure about the flamingo, though. Try adding a red pillow to the black one to echo the red in your vintage prints. (Sorry for no Photoshop; computer is in therapy.)

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gargigg, I still love the rug too. It was a splurge for me but it makes me so happy every time I look at it. As far as the "dining rug" inspired pillow, you are right, I was thinking it would help bring the rooms together. Maybe a little to literal though.

• Laura Villar
    4 years ago

looks great! thanks for the update

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover, thank you!! This room is becoming a conglomeration of things I love. The vintage prints add color and fun and I love anything black and white so when I saw the lamps I had to have them. I can't wait for the new prints to arrive. I will wait to select a red pillow until I see what goes best with the chair and the art. Whatever red I choose, I could probably add a few accents in the same color to the dining room.

What do you mean you're not sure about the flamingo?? What's wrong with Frankie (yes, I named the flamingo?) LOL! Frankie is a placeholder for now (smile). The corner looked empty so I stuck him there until I can figure it out.

Sorry to hear about your computer! I hate it when that happens.

• bac717
    4 years ago

I looked at this thread earlier today, but did not respond then. It's already on page 2! It's great to see the update. I especially like the new art! The rug REALLY updates the space.

I have to tell you, I am very interested to follow your progress because your room has so much in common with my living room. Altho, instead of two smaller windows with wall space in between, I have a large window with wall space on either side, my room layout is VERY similar and it also a north facing room, so I definitely feel your pain there!!!! Furniture arranging has also been difficult for me! We are in the planning stage of redecorating the living room and are beginning with having the wood floors refinished. Soon after that, I will be looking at paint colors. Please keep us posted on which color you end up choosing. Have you considered BM Feather Down? That is a strong contender for our living room.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you BAC717! The rug is probably my most favorite item in this room and honestly I never would have even purchased it if it were not for the help of my fellow Houzzers. I do not have a good eye for decorating, and these guys have really helped me see the possibilities.

We've been in our house for 7 years and this room has always been a struggle. it just seemed gloomy and blah! To me, the room has so much more character now and it's more "me". My 2 posters came in the mail this week. I'm going try to get them framed and hung this weekend.

We are still undecided on a paint color. Someone recommended BM Natural cream, which I like; however, because I want to use the same color throughout the entire first level, I have to make sure the wall color works with the kitchen cabinet color (BM Dove White), which has grey undertones. I'll check out the color you recommended also. I have a bunch of paint sample cards but no real contenders yet.

Good luck with your room. Let me know when you post and I'll check it out.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I finally got around to framing and hanging my posters yesterday and I am super happy with them. I love the way this room is coming together. It's drastically different from where I started.

Any recommendations for the wall above the chair. The mirror is just there temporarily.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would move your vertical art from the back wall and use it to the right or left of your wingback chair. Then use a larger, horizontal, framed mirror over the console on the back wall. It would reflect the light from your window, and break up the four pieces of art that are so similar, that you see when standing in your entryway. I like your art, but it is a lot of the same thing starting behind the sofa and running into the dining area.

• Sharon
    4 years ago

You have done a beautiful job updating your room! It looks so much fresher, personal and more relaxed from where you started!

• Yayagal
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful room, you must be thrilled when you walk it to it now. If you put a long horizontal mirror on the wall where the round one is but opposite the art on the other side, it would look amazing. The round one looks a bit awkward.