SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jetsinla

Vinyl Plank Flooring - Cupping

Joe
4 years ago

A little background, in March 2017, I had just bought my 1985 condo in Florida, a few hundred yards from the bay and set off on a lot of renovations. I tore up the carpet and tile and contacted an independent flooring company to prep the concrete slab to install vinyl plank flooring - Floor and Decor NuCore rigid, cork-back, click together style. I hired a flooring company to prep the floor. They took moisture reading and indicated they were too high for the vinyl's parameters and that a moisture barrier was recommended. They recommended a product called Bostik Moisture Barrier. He said it was the best and recommended it unequivocally to seal the concrete. The product went on and produced a flexible, rubber like consistency and I never thought about it again. Honestly, I didn't even know what cupping was until just a few weeks ago.

Fast forward, was emptying the house to paint and the floor appears to be cupping. It's been two years. This is not about blame, money or being vindicated. This is about fixing the floor. Since the likely culprit is moisture, how should I proceed.

Call the flooring company? Hi, my floor's cupping. I doubt they'd return that call.

Call a plumber, maybe it's a leak under the concrete sub-floor?

It is Florida and humid most of the year but the inside humidity is relatively low at 40-50% as the house is always kept very cool around 72F. I don't like it any other way. Could it be something environmental like excess ground water under the slab? An engineer?

Start with a broad approach - a general contractor?

I just don't know where to start. and welcome feedback.

I attached a few pictures -- most clearly seen when the room is dark and just a bit of light is peeking through. Excuse the mess, I was removing everything to prepare to paint.

Comments (26)