SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_chen

Need help with bathroom remodel

Anthony C
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Im renovating my bathroom and have some questions. I took out the whirlpool tub and am converting the space to a shower. The space is like a pentagon:

The top left and top right are 78 inches and form a 90 degree angle.

The bottom left and bottom right are 43 inches

The bottom is 36 inches

The widest part is 110 inches

The top left and right are exterior walls that are 78 inches, by 10 ft high. Within each wall is a 4ft x 4ft window.

The bottom left and right will be the curbs so the shower will be open on both sides with no glass

The bottom will be a wall which will house the shower head and controls. The drain will be a linear drain in front of the triangle bench at the "top". We will have a rain shower head and a sprayer. The sprayer will spray towards the windows but is far enough away that I think the windows will get very little water.

The plan is to go full kerdi.

I bought a full set of kerdi board, all associated membranes, screws, 24x24 triangle bench, niche, and linear 32" drain.

Questions

1) What are the dimensions of the premade kerdi bench, they talk about width plus depth but I dont see how the width and depth can both be 24". I think it must be the length of each side, making the base 34 inches (hence the 32" drain)

2) Im planning to use pre-slope sticks because of the irregular shape. They screw down and guide the trowel when you create the mud preslope. Is this going to work ok? Any tips? The shower is so large Im not sure how to screed the end without walking on poured mud.

3) Many curbs are 6 inches high, I was wanting to do as short a curb as possible, even having the curb be flush with the interior floor. How high should I consider the drain to be above the subfloor? I know I need the curb to be 2 inches above the drain. If the drain is at the subfloor level can I have a 2 inch curb (1.5 inches 2x4, 1/4 inch of cementboard, 1/4 inch tile)

4) The subfloor (3/4 OSB) has two holes approximately 6 inches x 8 inches, Im planning to use 1/2 inch cementboard as the underlayment. The subfloor is easily accessible from below (10 ft crawlspace). Do I have to patch the holes? If I do patch the holes what is the best way to do it?

5) The windows are recessed with around a 3 inch ledge. The frame was a series of 1 inch deep pieces of wood each raised about 1/4 inch like steps. I have demoed the frame around the windows essentially leveling the first two steps and I think I can put cementboard and then kerdi membrane on top of those. The last step is wood and Im not sure if it is integral to the window. I can get cement board on the first two inches, but the last inch is wood. What should I do here?

6) should I cement board the whole floor before doing any walls? Some things I read suggested cement board, then walls, then tile walls then tile floor. Is this a reasonable order?

1) clean up electrical and get all vent stacks into walls
2) cement board entire floor
3) build wall which will house shower plumbing (bottom of pentagram)
3.5) install shower valves
4) Kerdi entire shower
6) install linear drain
7) mud shower floor
8) membrane shower floor
9) drywall rest of bathroom
10) paint bathroom walls
11) tile shower walls
12) tile shower floor
13) tile rest of bathroom floor spreading out from shower
14) install cabinets
15) install fixtures