SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_fox6515585

top will have to sit in counter?

Robin Fox
4 years ago
We were so excited to see out new kitchen. The top hutch cabinet is one inch more than the base cabinet. The kitchen man says once the granite goes in it will sit on that. He says the door next to it has casing that would interfere. The plans don’t indicate this were at a stand still he says it will look okay?
definitely a mistake
it will be fine

Comments (49)

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That part will be fine. It’s the overall run of wall and base that are too long and that way crowd your door casing. Is there even going to be room for any real casing at all?

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago
    My eye was immediately drawn to the fact that the upper cabinet drawer doesn’t not line up with the bottom drawers. That would be a big problem in an otherwise pretty kitchen.
  • Related Discussions

Anyone have a counter top material backsplash then subway on top?

Q

Comments (12)
    It may be that the person installing the counters is worried about a good tight fit against all the walls where counters will run. If your walls are not flat and straight, the installers can cover a pretty good sized gap with that thick strip of countertop material laid a few inches up the wall ( the older style installations). But with good modern templating, you should expect a good fit even if your walls are a little bit off, then the tile can come right down to the counter and still meet with a small caulk joint at the change of plane. Perhaps you can ask them if they're worried about uneven walls, or you can take a yardstick to them yourself to see how they look. If it were my kitchen I'd certainly want the newer style installation.
    ...See More

Question for those who have Quartz counter tops, please.

Q

Comments (35)
    I have Cambria Torquay and use Clorox wipes on them all the time. I use them to wipe down my counters, then follow it up with Method granite polish from Target (LOVE that stuff!) There is absolutely no streaking, haze, residue, discoloration, etc. I frequently put hot items straight onto the countertop, but try to use a trivet or pot holder most of the time. I'm not super worried about it, but I figure it doesn't hurt to use a little extra caution. I was given the option of having the sink cut-out finished into a cutting board, so I used that for a long time as a tester of sorts. It has held up to all stains and temperatures I've subjected it to. I was advised by the installer to use a it of straight acetone for any stains that couldn't be removed with regular cleaner or by scraping with a razor blade. That was four years ago, and I have yet to find anything that didn't wipe right off. And that's saying something, because I have young children. I absolutely love my quartz counters and would buy them again in a heartbeat.
    ...See More

Do you have Cambria chiseled edge counter top? Do you like it?

Q

Comments (19)
    We did this in a showroom, on an island that we used to set up buffets. Yes, people snagged their fuzzy sweater type clothes on it, and yes, it was difficult to clean. Requires a scrub brush, lots of towels, and a directed spray of clean water to rinse. Thus the towels, to keep the water off of the cabinets. The great chocolate syrup spill during our ice cream sundae gathering was a pain to get it looking right again.
    ...See More

I have a black granite counter top in bathroom would dark cooper sink?

Q

Comments (2)
    It'll look great the first day, then the copper starts doing its thing.
    ...See More
  • mainenell
    4 years ago
    It was either designer or installer error. Was there a filler in the run of base cabinets that was omitted? Perhaps next to the wall? (Which would potentially throw the cooktop off center of the range hood.)

Also agree that the cabinet run does not allow for trim around the door. Either the designer was given a wrong dimension or the dimension used did not allow for finish trim.
  • Pam A
    4 years ago

So, your options are to have a sliver of granite exposed at the edge of the hutch cabinet, or to have the granite essentially disappear at the hutch cabinet? I would rather have the granite disappear & not be proud of the hutch cabinet. But to do that means the edge treatment will need to stop & then be squared off where it goes under the hutch (since you'll have a hutch right to the edge.

Yes, you are going to be short of space for a door trim. You can choose to go with a narrower trim there (same style, just a smaller scale) or cut down full size trim. I prefer to use the smaller trim where possible.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

This was definitely an error on whomever measured and did this layout. IT is too close to the doorway. How many inches from the doorway to the cabinet?? You will have to do a smaller trim on that door. It is unfortunate that as the cabinets were being hung it was not pointed out there is an issues before crown molding etc was installed. It should have been fixed then. Are your countertop folks confident putting the top in having to slide it under a cabinet? We usually have the tops installed before doing those tower pieces. I would suggest removing all your door and drawers off the bases so they don't get scraped during the install of the top.

What sort of edge detail do you have on the counter? If it is an ogee or something more decorative, it will need to be made longer so that the tower sits on a flat spot of the top.

I hope this is sorted out to your satisfaction. Please post pictures - your island cabinets are beautiful!

• Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    The doorway doesn’t have a door so nor do any of the other passageways off the kitchen. I don’t want the base smaller than the top it looks off.
  • flyr4fun
    4 years ago

You have some very beautiful things going on in there, it would be a shame to have something "off". There should be a solution to this.

• Sammy
    4 years ago

Have you measured the width of the hood and cooktop openings against a center line to see if they’re perfectly lined up?

I think perhaps the filler piece used between the hutch and wall (left) is what’s thrown this out of whack. (I assume the filler was needed there to allow for the window casing.) If you shift the entire base cabinet “flotilla” to the right, at least the upper and lower will be aligned on that right side. And you might just have to make that an un-cased opening unless you have room to shift the opening to the right. Bottom line: this can be solved!

Post your plans, too, please.

• Kathryn P
    4 years ago

Do you have an end panel on the lower cabinet? Maybe it could be beefed up to bring it in line with the hutch piece. That still doesn't solve the issue of it being so close to the door though. Was it planned to be that close?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    4 years ago

Take out the 3/4" panel directly to the left, move upper cabinet down...will have to redo the crown. That is, unless that was an important design factor you really wanted.

oh wait....it see now it mirrors the left side. hmmm...talk to your designer. He/she does seem to have a handle on the details. I bet this was an oversight/math error. I'm sure they will help you figure this out.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

It will be fine.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

It will be fine. You have an overhang on the base, and that will be enough for the counter to be virtually flush with the upper. Exactly like this.

Its the crowding of the doorway that I find unpalatable. Doors and windows need a good amount of negative space around them. It makes a room seem small to not have that.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    4 years ago

It will look fine when the countertop is in. Had you brought the base cabinet over to be even with the wall cabinet, then the countertop would have gone into the trim which would look much worse. Everyone answering this thread is not a kitchen designer. Take it from an experienced kitchen designer that you always have to pick the lesser of two (or 10) evils when designing kitchens. This will look fine when its done and the many other alternatives all had their own problems associated with them. This might even have been discussed in passing with you when you were working on the kitchen with the designer. He or she might have mentioned that it would look fine and that it would allow you to get the Pantry Pull Out you wanted or the 36" pots and pans drawers.

Homeowners without experience in this shouldn't be telling you that this is a mistake because they wouldn't appreciate what the other choices would have entailed in the particular cabinet line your kitchen is designed in.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Here is another example.

Century Home Kitchen - University City, MO · More Info

• PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    4 years ago

@Mercury Mosaics. Nice job!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

I think that with how big your kitchen is and how many other beautiful things draw your attention, you probably won't notice this anymore. It's not horrible, just unfortunate.

• Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    In looking for a solution. I was thinking since it’s off by an inch and a half. Perhaps make a new face plate for the oven. Make it an inch and a half larger with 3/4 of an inch on each side of the face plate wider. Moving all to the right of it an inch and a half. The oven will be off center by only 3/4 of an inch under the hood. Barely noticeable to the eye??? I’m thinking this might solve it all. I’m using no case around the door by the hutch. Hopefully this might solve the problem.
  • Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Green design- first off there is a problem. The design on the plans I signed off on show the hutch and base lining up. The doorway was there before and if there was a problem should have been dealt with while designing and planning. Also as for the hutch cabinet being not in proportion it is exactly what the designer had in the showroom. We saw it and loved it. I have plenty of counter space. The photos other designers show of the base smaller than the hutch above are off to me. I feel either we put a thicker end piece to make up the inch and a half were off. Or we get a new faceplate for the oven and inch and a half bigger. The hood will be only 3/4 inch off center on each side and I’d rather live with that then a hutch sitting over the base. This is an expensive custom kitchen. We didn’t order online or by from ikea. This is their error. Tomorrow the owner of the firm will be meeting me on sight. Hopefully he will have a solution.
  • User
    4 years ago

IIt probably lines up with this small piece.

Can you show us the original plan?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

It looks like you could add a second end panel right next to the base cabinet to make the base thicker so it lines up with the upper cabinet. I don't think you would notice the double edge once the counter was on. I wouldn't try to move anything else.

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Brilliant idea calidesgn! A panel would do it!

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Put the counters on. There's nothing wrong there at all. The upper will be virtually flush with counter edge. As it should be. You are overreacting and buying trouble and ill will over nothing.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

It's OK the way it is. It will look much better when the countertop overhang.

If you want to line them up, The other option is to widen the end piece with a wider dishwasher return panel Or a decorative door panel. Keep in mind when deciding the extra length of countertop overhang.

I'm surprised to see the top wall cabinets that touch countertop in before countertop. That's a much harder sequence for the countertop installation. No worries it can still work, just harder to do.

• Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Meeting with kitchen cabinet designer who’s coming to my home to explain how it’s fine. It really isn’t. If you look at the plan you’ll see it lined up on it. I hope he can find a way to make this work.
  • bry911
    4 years ago

If you look at the plan you’ll see it lined up on it. I hope he can find a way to make this work.

With respect, you have been shown pictures of it working as is. You still seem hung up on the idea that because it is different than the plan there is some alternate solution to make it "work."

You may well have a reasonable complaint about the discrepancy but the solution is another matter altogether. While it might suck that this happened, a very reasonable solution is to leave it alone. Every viable fix makes it look worse than it currently does, so other than a significant delay of rebuilding cabinets, there is nothing that is going to make this better.

• johnsoro25
    4 years ago

You are correct in saying this is a mistake. It is wrong. However, once the countertop is installed, it will look fine and the top will line up with the countertop edge. Welcome to the world of kitchen remodeling- it is a game of how many mistakes you can tolerate. All the pros here minimize the issue because this is not the biggest mistake they have seen, not by a long shot. Just be glad these guys aren’t performing a surgery on a loved one. I think it will look ok in the end, but I do completely understand your current stress. Good luck.

• Snaggy
    4 years ago

I would have voted it looks fine ..but no vote button !

• chicagoans
    4 years ago

Cook's Kitchen and suyq have posted some good examples to show that it will be fine. I hope you feel the same after your counters are installed and I'm quite sure no one else will notice! Your kitchen will be lovely - it already is! Love that island. Please post pics when the counters are in, and enjoy your pretty kitchen.

• johnsoro25
    4 years ago

@greendesigns this is the exact kitchen reno game to which I am referring. The contractor bullies the paying customer because if the customer points out ALL of the mistakes none of them will get fixed. You have to pick and choose just the biggest mistakes. They all, however, are mistakes, plain and simple. How many other professions can get away with this? Way to take pride in the work.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

As bad as that copy of a copy of a blueprint is, it does show the uppers designed NOT aligning with the bases.

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    4 years ago

GreenDesigns, how are you able to do that with the pic? When I click on them here they are usually the same size.

• doods
    4 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!

• MT Castillo
    4 years ago
    It would have been better to have caught this at the design phase, but since here you are, I say it will be fine. The countertop will extend out 1”, and the door casing will “dissolve” into the cabinetry.
  • lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    4 years ago

It's a mistake. What if she wants an ogee edge on her counter?

• Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    So here’s the solution the cabinet company owner came up with. He will beef up the end panel. He will add another end piece. There would be a seam so he will order longer draw fronts. It should look like a bigger cabinet.
    He tried to convince us it was deliberately done this way due to the door casing. We said then it should have been discussed during the planning... if I was told this was the situation I might have opted not to do the hutch cabinets and done all the top cabinets the same size. He did not want to fix this. I finally said I’m not happy. I saw this exact kitchen in the showroom of your place. I relied on your expertise. He said my time is very valuable and I came over here to explain why I did it this way. I said well this is a gorgeous design but I’m not happy. Only then did he offer a solution. My point is this. His only concern should have been to remedy the situation. I was not looking to blame him or be right. My only concern was to be happy and not have a blaring mistake showing. He says the granite can go in now and said put it an inch off the top cabinet edge. I decided to wait until the fixed base goes in. I’d die if the granite was off . He says an inch my granite man says he feels we can do a half inch. I’m waiting. I’d rather delay for a few weeks than be sorry for years.
  • wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Robin that sounds like a perfect soluton. I’m surprised he has suggest using larger drawers instead of just beefing up the panel and filling the seam. Great for you because you larger drawers!

• Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    He isn’t making a bigger draw he’s adding a panel on end and to avoid a seem showing he’s making a bigger door front. It will cover the seem. He will center the pull and from the outside you’d never know.
  • suzyq53
    4 years ago

Sounds good. Did he discuss the leg at the bottom?

• Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    No he did not. Thanks I’ll ask.
  • wmsimons85
    4 years ago

OK well that still sounds great to me. Bet it will be very pretty. Update the thread with photos when he does it if you can.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

That is a great solution. That base piece is a molding that is wrapped around the panel - it would have to be removed and reinstalled if possible.

It will look great. Please don't forget to remove all your top drawers when the counters go in- you don't want to risk scuffing the tops of the drawers

• Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Green design - the plans in fact show the top sitting on the base. This kitchen was chosen because it was exactly the same layout in the showroom as our future kitchen. The base and hutch lined up. When they measured the time to tell us was before it was still being planned. The door was there from the beginning. The design should have accounted for this. The draftsman told me it was his error. He said you’ll need a new pot draw. Only then the owner called us saying it was fine as is. This was an expensive kitchen and we want it right. After holding our ground the owner is going to beef up the cabinet end panel and make a larger draw front. We’re waiting for the base pot draw to be in before we measure the stone top. It’s a good compromise. A satisfied customer is worth far more than an unhappy one. Mistakes happen no ones perfect. Photos to follow.
  • shead
    4 years ago

Excellent solution! Hope the rest goes smoothly!

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

That already looks so much better. Looking forward to final photos. Congratulations!

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

That looks great! I too look forward to final photos.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

That looks so good... Well done.

• MT Castillo
    4 years ago

Looking good! You must post final pics!

• Robin Fox
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The kitchen is done I’m very very happy. Final pics will be posted tomorrow.