SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildroze

Help me chose siding/style to update generic 70s bungalow

Corinne
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are planning to update our 70s bungalow with new siding/accents. You can't tell from the pics, but the siding is broken in many spots, and coming loose from the house. I am leaning to vertical board and batten (vinyl), but I'm having a hard time deciding on colours/style. One challenge - we have to coordinate with the new shingles, which we inherited from previous owners. They are grey, but have a hint of green in certain light. We replaced the garage doors when we moved in 5 years ago, and we're finally ready to add some more curb appeal. Please help!

Option 1:

- Dark grey board and batten siding, running all the way to the ground to hide the ugly cement foundation

- Medium brown shakes in the gables

- White aluminum cladding on windows

- White cladding on support beams (currently clad in tongue and groove - they are not solid beams, just 2x10s nailed together)

- Replace brick at front of house with faux stone siding (mix of brown/grey tones)

- Dark grey or brown wood door

- Cover chimney with board and batten

Option 2:

- Same as above, but light grey main siding, with dark grey shakes in the gables

Option 3 (I like, but hubbie doesn't):

- Sage green (to tie in with green in shingles), with brown/grey accents. But my husband gags when I show him pictures of houses with sage green siding and cedar shakes.

Another issue: I'd like to do white trim along the bottom of the board and batten at ground level. However, the house steps down three different heights at the front and around to the side (see first pic), so would that look weird? The trim wouldn't run straight. Also, would having white trim right by ground be a mistake - I'm worried it will be hard to keep clean.

I've also considered sticking with white siding, with brown shakes and stone accents. More of the same? I'd like a farmhouse look, as we're in the country, but also wondering if it might be considered a style crisis since to do the farmhouse treatment to a bungalow. I tried using a free program to see what the house might look like updated, but it didn't work very well (last pic).

Comment (1)