SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_673781790

Should we replace kitchen tile with wood floors?

Eli Mo
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are re-modeling a kitchen and the hardest decision to make has been the flooring. Kitchen currently has linoleum. The rest of the house has original wood floors throughout.The kitchen is situated such that you enter through dining room with wood floors, kitchen has linoleum and once inside kitchen, there is another open entryway that leads to an office with wood floors, so the kitchen flooring breaks that continuity and flow from dining to kitchen to office. (I'll add drawing to show this setup)We have considered tile because it will be the easiest choice and hard to damage. We will be ok with tile, but its not our favorite, mostly due to the fact that we dont like grout lines. Also, there will be a slight height difference between tile and wood floors.We have also considered a waterproof vinyl. The downsides would be that since its floating, the cabinets cannot be placed on top. It would also be an additional expense because we would have to match the entire house with the vinyl.We have had a few flooring people in that can match the existing wood floors to the kitchen. One option would be to lay down new white oak in the kitchen and when we have additional funds, refinish ALL the floors together.The most expensive option would be to lay down new white oak to match existing white oak and refinish together.My downsides on this is that the floors are 70 years old. They are damaged in a few places. I'm afraid that we will scratch them. I am afraid that they won't look nice. They were recently refinished by previous owners as a DIY and the job was not the best. Refinishers have promised that the wood floors will look like new with a professional refinish.Do you think this floor is worth saving?

Comments (8)