SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kekersey

Privacy AND light for bathroom window

Elisabet K.
4 years ago

We have a bathroom window that is approximately 31" high by 33" wide (interior dimensions), a fairly shallow double-hung window in a 1940s home.

A top-down / bottom up shade seems like an ideal solution as it would allow natural light in with the top down, and still provide privacy to a ground floor main bath and shower. The window is visible from the street, and only fifteen or twenty feet from our neighbor's living room and kitchen windows.

For privacy we've had a "temporary" shade covering the whole window for years, along with a light simple curtain. One thing we figured out quickly is that nobody EVER wants to open the bottom of that window's shade! I do raise it sometimes when I'm cleaning the bathroom and the natural light is wonderful in that east facing room. But it's not at all private.

The windows are fairly shallow and the room is so tiny that anything that sticks out is not going to work.

Something like this Fensterman shade seems to be what we need, I think. But I'm looking for an inexpensive solution and I doubt that's it. https://www.pleatedblindsstore.com/pleated-shades/

Looking at top-down shades available from big-box stores, they all seem to be for longer lengths and are fairly pricey for what I need - we've got a lot of other projects to spend our money on. Can one of these standard length shades be cut down in length? And are there any that are shallow enough for this old window?

Or - is there a better solution I'm just not thinking of?

Comments (11)