SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Walnut cabinetry: how to achieve a warm, rich luster ?

Mittens Cat
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We're considering custom cabinetry for our new kitchen--a mix of white uppers and walnut veneer lowers. Before we start to talk details with our local cabinetmakers, I'm wondering what it takes to end up with walnut that has that gorgeous, rich luster. (Hoping it's not just a matter of $ versus $$$$$!)

I ask because, now that I've seen samples up close, I see there's quite a range--some of the samples (and photos) have a rich, warm, deep, golden color. Others look almost drab to me, with a twinge of silver or green (ack!).

Initially, i thought it was a matter of an oil finish vs. water-based. Here are two examples of the difference I'm referring to:

This walnut (a Semihandmade piece) looks rich to me:

Not so rich looking:

I'm guessing the rich, warm luster I want is the product of a lengthy (much more expensive) finishing process? Or is it a matter of oil finished vs. water-based polyurethane? Or is it the grade of wood? The way the wood was cut? Or is it the type of lighting when the photos were taken? I'm guessing warmer lighting might make the wood look richer as opposed to cool lighting? Or did people just pump up the saturation before posting photos??

Or is this all about stain? I'd rather not have very dark cabinets, if possible. Aiming for a medium warm color, similar to our Eames walnut chairs that we've had for 20+ years. I realize the Eames chair probably requires a much more expensive process than the typical walnut veneer cabinet. But hoping this won't cost 2-3 times as much to achieve!

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Comments (33)