SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eminaptos

Help with front hall!

Emily R.
4 years ago

I am trying to figure out what to do with the front hall of our beach house. There are a few problems. ;)

1) The door/hall/stairs layout is tricky -- if you put a door mat down, it doesn't center with the runner, which is driving me a little crazy. (I need both a runner and a mat because the sand will destroy these floors.) What do I do here? Both the runner/mat are cheapo temporary fixes, although I actually like the runner and wouldn't mind keeping it.

2) What material to use on runner/mat? I made a dumb mistake with the carpet selection (as you can see on the stairs); it doesn't match ANYTHING and my husband hates it, but too late now. Let this be a lesson to you all about not getting pressured into making fast decisions. :P SOOO I need something that will work with beige carpet, grey walls, bright white trim, and variegated acacia floors.

3) Suggestions for what to do under the window and in the corner? We need some sort of a bench/seating since this is a no-shoes house; however, a heating vent and a plug are very inconveniently placed right under the windows where a bench ought to go. ;)

16' from door to end of hall/entrance to living room. Hall is 90" wide. The stairs are flush with the beginning of the sidelite.

Comments (25)