SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ssmcmillan4

Help Please! I have Blue Jeans stains on my new white Crypton couch

Shasta
4 years ago

I have a new white Crypton couch and I'm afraid it is ruined. My husband sat on it in his blue jeans and the blue dye from his jeans stained the couch. I've been able to remove other spills from the couch with no problem using Crypton's cleaning products. But I can't make any dent in this blue dye. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to successfully remove the dye?

Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (86)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Unless your sofa is less than ten/twelve years old and in incredibly good shape, I'd consider a new one., moderately priced. Why? It's going to need a minimum of twenty yards , ( assuming three loose seats and three loose backs, no skirt. ) Even a performance velvet, is not going to be had for less than fifty per yard. You will have a grand minimum, in fabric,a grand to 1500.00 in upholstery labor in a very mid west locale, pickup , delivery etc. There is probably no way to get out for less than 2k to 2500.00 on the piece, no matter where you live. ........even in an Iowa cornfield.

You said it is quite occasional use, not your family room all day every day sofa. .........It may be worthwhile to do some local shopping if you have some brick and mortar . NOT Pottery barn : ) Virtually every sofa manufacturer has a plethora of performance velvet in their options. Perhaps an Ethan Allen a good place to start. Normally I am not an E A fan, but 6 or eight times a month IS occasional use. Very. The delta between a re cover and brand new, may not be that steep.

• Laurie Sosson
    4 years ago

Jan, I chuckled when I saw the pottery barn comment. I’ve been hearing terrible things about the quality of their sofas, which is a bummer because they seem to offer many family friendly fabrics. Any thoughts on Crate and Barrel? We are thinking of doing the Barrett sofa in their “vail” performance fabric.

• Related Discussions

Please help me choose/find a new sofa-pix galore

Q

Comments (6)
    I thought my budget was reasonable too, but most of the sofas I see in that price range just look really cheap and poorly made. I have seen some that are good quality, but are very modern looking with the square arms and block feet. Do you think I could do a more modern sofa with my chairs (which are being scratched to death by the cat even as we speak)? Thanks for the options dee and yayagal. Those are lovely, but I should have mentioned that I have a real aversion to leather - not sure why. I should also mention that I'm in a small city in Canada so furniture prices are (I seem to be finding out) quite a bit higher. Here are links to a mid-priced brand of sofa many retailers carry here. If anyone has an inclination, have a look and see if there is anything that would go with my chairs. Here is a link that might be useful: van gogh sofas
    ...See More

Help. Just stained my floors dark . Should I paint my walls?

Q

Comments (10)
    Lighter walls and a darker rug, and overall more color please. Right now there is no focal point in this room, and I hope you'll consider a fantastic painting over the fireplace and ditch all the small stuff on the mantel. With such a very dark floor the light rug just looks wrong. In nature you have the brown earth, then green grass and trees and then the lighter blue of the sky. Try a warm colored rug (like an Oriental, which has many colors), a glass coffee table which will show the rug instead of the weighty, chunky ottoman, off-white walls and drapes that are not much darker than the walls to open up this room. Pillows with colors taken from the rug which will tie the color scheme together, and then art on the walls in rich colors to glow against the light walls.
    ...See More

Please help me with my new American/Modern Farmhouse?

Q

Comments (7)
    "Modern Farmhouse" is a marketing term, not at architectural class. It's supposed to evoke nostalgia for a "simpler time". So, if this plan does that for you, it's a modern farmhouse. With regards to colours and finishes, yes some combination of those colours would likely be fine for that house. And yes, fewer finishes are generally speaking a better choice than multiple finishes. Simple is beautiful. But more important than "the pretty" is the function. Does this house work for you? Have you tried adding furniture to the plan diagram? Did you think about where you would walk and what you'd need to go around to bring groceries in and put them away? Or do laundry? Or make dinner without swearing? If your home is truly functional, it will be easy to make beautiful. If it's not functional, all the pretty finishes won't make you like living there.
    ...See More

I hate my couch! please help me choose a new one!

Q

Comments (33)
    Just trying to see what options for making everybody happy might be. I was thinking that if whole family doesn't want to be cuddling on the sofa all the time it's possible to get one loveseat recliner to make sure husband gets his wish (and at least some people can sit right near him) plus get a pair of oversized swivel lounge chairs for fun comfy places to watch TV or talk. It can be simpler to make a nice looking arrangment with loveseats and chairs, even if they are quite large. I think you have the space but you need to measure. Those big round swivel chairs can be bought with crescent shaped ottomans. This one happens to be from Amazon It's really a risk buying sofas when it comes to comfort, especially if you're not made of money. One of the reasons I prefer sitting in sofas or chairs with wide ottomans to sitting in recliners is that there are more ways to make adjustments to where your legs and back are -- high, low, long, short, sideways -- and add pillows behind you for back support. Recliners aren't very flexible and I find them a nuisance to get up from in a hurry.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Virtually ALL in the ilk ( online ..........PB, Crate and Barrel, West Elm.... etc ) will pretty much suck rocks in quality. You asked : ) Sit twice a month.

• Xty G (z4)
    4 years ago

laurie, I have been researching and looking into sofas/sectionals for almost two years now, trying to find the right one for our family. I have read endless threads here at Houzz, looked at the yelp reviews of certain companies, looked up “complaints” about certain companies, etc. Of all the research I have done for mid range sofas, the top two companies I have found that people are most happy with, especially regarding customer service, delivery, fabrics, etc., are Room and Board and Maiden Home.

Other companies that I thought about and looked into, but have found quite a few reviews from unhappy customers in comparison are: Crate &Barrel, Pottery Barn, Arhaus, West Elm, and I even read a few complaints about Lee and Bernhardt (which are the manufacturers, not actual stores), although both those last two also have some rave reviews here on Houzz.

I have also considered Interior Define. But am not as confident in their quality as R&B and Maiden Home. They do get some great reviews, but I have also read a few yelp reviews saying they take down negative reviews from their websites, and their lead time is up to 4 months in many case, sometimes even getting the order wrong. Also, their sofas are manufactured in China, rather than North Carolina, where most USA made sofas come from.

@ohsoslow, , I do know that Room and Board has a few lines of velvet, Banks and View, that are lovely. They do sell their fabrics by the yard, and have great information about rub count, pill rating, etc., but I am sure their fabrics aren’t cheap If you buy them by the yard.

• ohsoslow
    4 years ago

Thank you to both Jan Moyer and Xty G (z4) for your comments and knowledge.

@Jan Moyer. I am two hours away from Bricks and Mortar furniture shopping, so need to make the trip. I just don’t think I can purchase sofa/chairs without actually sitting in them. I also want to touch and feel the fabrics. There are a couple very nice fabric showrooms there. I appreciate your “itemizing” some of the component costs, ie fabric, labor, etc.

@Xty G (z4) thank you for specific names, I will check RB and MH out. I’ve also read posts on the ones you mentioned to avoid.

Thanks again.

• laurienj9
    4 years ago

Any experience with Revolution performance fabrics? I’m worried about pilling.

• PRO
    Canfield Interiors Inc.
    4 years ago

No experience with that fabric.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Someone upthread mentioned C&B Barrett sofa. We've had the lounger for 2 years and still love it. Comfortable and no sag in the cushions. It's our main sofa for a family of 4 so it gets plenty of use. I believe it is Made in USA.

We preferred C&B over West Elm. Considered R&B but wanted a lounger style sleeper (not a fixed position chaise sectional) in a certain size and this one worked best.

• yvondag
    4 years ago

New sofa - in Crypton Silex Snow (off white) starting looking overall gray in less than 3 months. It doesn't have any particular "stains" but an overall darkness - significantly different than the unused arm chair cover as evidenced in photo. I'm getting nowhere with the sofa store or the manufacturer (Taylor King). This is not an issue of blue jeans because the vertical part of the seat cushions are also dark. Taylor King (the manufacturer) included 2 pillows which we chose in dark navy that may be contributing - but we don't know. We don't smoke, no pets, only 2 mature adults, no fires in the fireplace and we're quite clean. Neither a lint brush nor a vacuum does any good. I'm so very upset about this and not sure where to turn except maybe a lawsuit!

• Chessie
    4 years ago

Wow that looks awful. Very sorry. Hope the company can give you a refund!

• yvondag
    4 years ago

Thank you Chessie - have you had problems with Crypton as well?

• Chessie
    4 years ago

No...just saw your pic and wanted to give you my sympathy! :-(

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

@YVONNEDAG

Taylor King doesn't produce the fabric. I am wondering if this was given a treatment at Taylor King, that should not have been applied. You have nothing to lose going back at the problem,

I would contact BOTH these folks. BY MAIL.With pictures. With a print out of this thread, Also with the name of the fabric from your sofa order, or go back to the store and snap a picture of the tag at the corner of that fabric. Copy the store, copy Taylor King on ALL of it. Some sort of chemical reaction -post MILL. I assume this change in color is on undersides of cushions seats and back sides of back cushions as well.? Is literally all over.......

https://www.mayerfabrics.com/contact-us/

Taylor King headquarters: ( attention FABRIC DEPARTMENT )

286 County Home Rd

Taylorsville, NC 28681-9375

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

As to dye transfer...........? A separate issue

file:///Users/Apple_Owner/Downloads/crypton-dye-transfer-policy-2.pdf

• yvondag
    4 years ago

Well yes, but why would taylor King sell a sofa in a material that you can’t sit on???! !

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Because they don't know that you don't know enough to know that dark rinse jeans dyes come off on ANYTHING.!!!! and everything.

Now, you know.........don't buy them is the best idea : )

• yvondag
    4 years ago

Hi Jan - thanks for your comments. On the picture I uploaded you can see that it is not one stain but rather the entire sofa - even the back cushions! It is not from our jeans!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Yes! I think that is VERY strange indeed, and have never seen it happen, I believe it's possible Taylor King has never seen it. Contact the links. Both of them, and copy the store. These are chemical/fibers/process . Neither of us are scientists and who knows what may have happened?

• suezbell
    4 years ago

For what it's worth, alcohol can remove ink. If you have a few old white fabric items you can use as rags, try wetting the rag and rubbing it over the stain. Since I'm not familiar with that kind of fabric, I suggest you try it where it will be least obviously seen just in case it smudges instead of removes the dye.

• J. Robinson
    4 years ago

While I am uncertain of the stained fabric’s characteristics, I do know of one helpful stain remover I’ve used on tablecloths and on cotton clothing. It might not be an option for you, but if you have an inconspicuous piece of the fabric to test for safe use, it could be worth sharing the information.

The idea came to me years ago at a family dinner when some tough
    stains ended up on the tablecloth. Since a commercial on television showed Martha Ray (spelling?) telling about Efferdent removing tough stains from her dentures, I decided to try it on our tablecloth. We dissolved two Efferdent tablets in a small container of water, put plastic and a protective towel under the cloth, and used an old toothbrush gently to work the cleaning liquid into the fabric. It removed cranberry stains and more. Then we carefully rinsed the Efferdent out of the cloth in a similar way and blotted it with toweling. When the stains were gone and rinsed, we used a cool setting on a hair dryer to avoid having a water stain.

I have no idea whether this information would ruin your sofa’s fabric or help it. If the manufacturer has tips, I would start researching there. If you have a sample of the fabric to experiment on such as the hem of a skirt where it will never show, and you want to brave taking the risk, that is the information I have.

In addition to using Efferdent on a tablecloth, I also have used that method in a pair of good white cotton pants that were saturated from someone having slid down a wet sand dune. Before I remembered the Efferdent treatment, I tried multiple other products with no success. Eventually the pants became stain free with no ill effects on the cotton.

While I am not recommending the treatment for the stain on your fabric, I am sharing my experiences only in case you choose to test an inconspicuous piece of your fabric so you can decide for yourself or see what advice is available about such an approach.

Also, on a carpet stain, Host has been helpful, but I have no idea how this product either would be for treating your fine upholstery.

The best of success to you!

• J. Robinson
    4 years ago

Also, I see that online at
    crypton store.com there is an upholstery stain remover kit for sale. The cost is twenty dollars. I know nothing about it other than it is available.

• J. Robinson
    4 years ago

I just read the excellent comment by Suezbell. Alcohol used to remove the blue/purple stains from spirit masters used on the copy machine. It also removed blue ink. Unlike the Efferdent, or maybe another denture cleaner, the alcohol would not risk ruining the tone of the fabric. I am glad to have seen suezbell’s comment!

• PRO
    Canfield Interiors Inc.
    4 years ago

Don't waste your money on the stain remover kit from Crypton if you are trying to remove the blue jean dye. It doesn't work we have tried it. We followed their instructions for the cleaning products to use on dye transfer and they were all ineffective. I contacted my furniture manufacturer who spoke to Crypton about the dye transfer issue and they say it's not their problem. They feel it's the clients fault for sitting on it with jeans.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Dye transfer. : try Capture pre mist treatment for carpet, Use a Norwex rag to rub it in .Liberally rinse after.

Point is, what can happen? It's rather ruined anyway?

Point is......... the only "bullet proof" fabric one you can bleach and wash. Solution dyed acrylic. The toughest white denim. Other than that? Nope.

• idnash
    4 years ago

This is the only stain remover I’ve ever used that takes hair dye stains out of towels and clothing. It also removes permanant marker Maybe it would work on blue dye.

• idnash
    4 years ago

I would test spot but it’s been color safe on cotton polyester and a cashmere sweater

• idnash
    4 years ago

I’ve gotten it at Lowe’s and the grocery store stop and shop

• yvondag
    4 years ago

@Canfield Interiors Inc. - Thank you for posting! Isn't that a joke that is that the furniture manufacturer won't take responsibility for making a sofa in a fabric that you can't sit on????!

I mean really - all parties concerned - The Comfortable Chair Store in Roswell, Ga., Taylor King Furniture and Crypton should all be ashamed of themselves for selling a product that is soo very inferior.

• yvondag
    4 years ago

Jan - how rude and I stand by my comments - I have been left with a very inferior product.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

I was referring to dark rinse on white. THAT is not the same as an all over change in a fabric.

I explained to you that TK doesn't create the Crypron you selected, nor any other fabric. The sofa beneath your fabric is not inferior.

I also gave you a couple of contacts to resolve your issue. Which is completely separate from dye transfer .

You showed a photo of ALL over fabric change. Unless your heat is spewing coal dust? I can not imagine what is the cause.

But realism is required for anyone buying any upholstery in a pale color. It is still maintenance .

• PRO
    Canfield Interiors Inc.
    4 years ago

My client as I mentioned had a white fabric sofa in the past and their was no blue jean transfer. I stand behind my comments that I will make sure I stay away from Crypton fabrics. If dye transfer is a problem then Crypton should put a huge warning on their label, not buried in the fine print. It's not an inexpensive fabric and I have other fabrics out perform theirs. There was not only dye transfer on the fabric it just does not hold up two any markings of any kind. Water spills yes but that's it! Thankfully my furniture manufacturer and I have come to an agreement that they will reupholster the sofa, since Crypton won't have any part in it. My manufacturer wants to keep me happy and I want to keep my client happy. I will advise my colleagues and clients to stay clear of any Crypton fabrics!! If the furniture manufacturer wants to continue to carry Crypton fabrics I am sure they will have on going issues with the their light coloured fabrics. With so many amazing fabrics to choose from I would be dropping Crypton from my roster!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

They HAVE a warning! Which clearly says DYE TRANSFER MAY NOT COME OFF.

Honestly, if you insist on sitting on a white or light sofa in dark rinse jeans or any super dark without a pre wash of the item? Do it at your peril of at LEAST the maintenance effort to remove it, no matter that it will come out ! . Or get a concrete sofa. Or get navy blue. Good Lord............

Dark jeans ? You have NO possible way of knowing what the original jeans were. You have no way of knowiing if they may have been washed! No way of knowing brand, fabric content or anything else. Don't blame Crypton who mills a wonderful selection of easy care fabrics in great textures. You are supposed to be a grown up. Perhaps counsel the client as how to be one as well. That means managing expectations , for anything in any material.

Try wearing the lambskin black leather bomber jacket, for which you paid a grand, on a heated leather car seat in a nice beige color and see what happens. It is called "overdye transfer" . Will it come out? Yes, eventually, and after you pay the guy at the auto body shop.

You have to use the round object thirty inches or so above your fanny.

• Kristel Quintana
    4 years ago

You can have a white or nearly white sofa and still have hold up. I have had almost white PB couches for close to 10 years. I have a cat that vomits on my sofa frequently (had her for years) - after eating wet food - the very worst stain ever. It washes off quite easily . I even used a little diluted 'Kaboom with bleach for the worst of it. It never discolored the fabric or damaged it. I live in jeans - both my husband and I wear very dark jeans and they have never transferred to the fabric. I never wash my jeans before I wear them. This isn't a testament to PB construction as I have my pet peeves about these couches. BUT the fabric has been fabulous. My current PB sofa (Sunbrella Sahara in Ivory) has had every type of spill imaginable and it still looks great. I just tested three pottery barn fabrics in the white family: Performance Heathered Tweed in Ivory, Basket Weave slub in Ivory and Performance Herringbone in Oatmeal. I put left ketchup, wine and coffee and even some cat vomit on them (I get left a lot of samples). They all came out completely and easily I might add. There are good fabrics out there. I love white sofas and I'm about to get a great big sectional - in Ivory - and it won't be Crypton.

• PRO
    Canfield Interiors Inc.
    4 years ago

I've been in this business for 23+ years so I certainly know how to manage my clients and their expectations. I wouldn't have been awarded a Houzz award for service and have lasted this long in the business if I didn't. I find your comments to another Design Professional offensive but maybe us Canadian designers have more tact and style.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

It 's in bold: "Due to............ Crypton will not be responsible for dye transfer." It's not about tact. You can't blame Crypton . They warned.

A Crypton only makes spill and spot removal simple. Dye transfer is an all over soil, from so many possible sources, none of us, or Crypton could even name them.

If you want to blame the sofa mfg for not adding a tag saying same on every Crypton in their selections? ? Fine.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

I wonder which fabric manufacturers would actually cover indigo dye transfer stains.

I know when I was interested in very light LVT flooring I couldn't get one store to verify that there were issues with yellow staining, but I had been warned by a friend that had white lvt in their kitchen that turned yellow and was told it was not covered and she had to replace in less than a year. When I called the manufacturers, many were wishy washy on the phone, but when I pinned them down they admitted that they won't cover "Environmental Staining". (Oils from blacktop carried in on your shoes turns vinyl yellow.)

I would think that all manufacturers have a CYA clause that stops them from being responsible for blue jean stains on white fabric. Crypton may have needed to be more bold in their statements due to their claims of high stain resistance, but I bet the fine print on most any upholstery fabric has some clause that protects them.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

The care tag on a sweater would look like a stadium flag, if every possibility for cleaning it, and your wear habits and detergent were considered along with whether or not you had a decent dry cleaner. That's why you use that round objet with the hair on it. ALL. repeat, ALL white or light sofas imply care. I don't care what fabric they are. They are meant for low abuse household, and that's the deal, unless you cover them when you SIT. ........vacuum regularly , and have no pets.

I have had a white sofa /slip covered for over twenty years. I meet the criteria I just described, and it gets bleached. Even when it doesn't really "need" it.

• Kristel Quintana
    4 years ago

Sorry, my house is 'high' abuse. I don't spend any more time cleaning my sofa because of the color. I'd be cleaning up cat vomit if it were grey or brown and it the cushions covers would be thrown in the wash once a year regardless. I eat spaghetti and drink red wine and I don't cover it beforehand. They get vacuumed once every two weeks but not because they are white - it's because we have cats. Anyone want to see a picture of my cats on my couches? The one I had before my current small sectional sold in 4 days used. It looked new - it was a pale oatmeal color. Fabrice is everything. By the way, you can use bleach on Sunbrella fabrics regardless of the color. That stuff wears like iron. By the way - I am a seamstress as a hobby, but quite accomplished. I know fabric.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Sunbrella is NOT Crypton. Vastly different and most often capable of being bleached. :) It's synonym is solution dyed acrylic.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    4 years ago

Reading this entire thread just gave me a headache. I'm reupholstering two Kravet Elon sofas. They are 4 years old in Kravet Couture fabric which wore like caca. Now looking for more high performance and was considering a microsuede, velvet, leather or Sunbrella. Would like to keep room in white/hot pink/orange family as I live in the south, but open to suggestions on what fabric best with grandkids and now, dogs. I keep going between hot pink fabric, white and teal but think latter may be too dark. Open to gut instincts

• richardparker
    4 years ago

Come on, ladies; less snark. I do not know about Crypton and after this, I wouldn't consider it, but I will say this - bring all of your comments here because the manufacturers know this is very bad advertising for them if several people weigh in on Houzz with their nightmares. I had a zombie of a very expensive professional range and when I shared my nightmare with others on Houzz who had the same experience, I was contacted by the manufacturer and I was offered a new range. This was after TWO YEARS of begging the manufacturer for assistance and they wouldn't even respond. HOUZZ gets results.

• richardparker
    4 years ago

Dear m/m

I bought a sofa that was done in off-white Kravitz ultrasuede around 15 years ago and the fabric is perfect. It stays clean; you can spot clean and you can even throw the cushion covers in the wash. The only things I wouldn't recommend it for is

1. a house with cats because my cats liked poking their claws though the ultrasuede. It doesn't really rip, just shows large "pin" holes.

2. if you like a very soft down sofa to sink into. Ultrsuede is very firm and does not stretch or bag, which is great, but you give up some of that nice feeling of sinking into the down when you sit.

• chrisstack
    4 years ago

Yvondag Thank you for this post!!! These posts are so helpful.

I finally found a sofa that works for me. I have limited space and I had a very difficult time finding what I wanted. The only reason I didn’t order it yet is because Taylor King is closed due to this virus situation. I like two Crypton fabric samples, I had to chose between Crypton Bayou Porcelain and Crypton Silex Snow! ( I picked Snow)! Now I will not be ordering either one!

I am so sorry this happened Yvondag, Crypton should take responsibility.

Canfield interiors Inc., I liked what you had to say, compassion goes a long way.

• yvondag
    3 years ago

@JAN MOYER - I was not the original poster on this thread - but DYE Transfer was not the problem with my Crypton fabric - nobody sits over the entire(seat, back, sides) sofa!

• PRO
    Mamma Mia Covers
    3 years ago

Hey there,

You can try to wash the surface of the sofa, however, it might not bring any result and you can just waste money. I will be happy to propose a better solution. You can buy a slipcover for the sofa. First of all, it will refresh your sofa and you won't see any stains. Secondly, it will protect your sofa in a similar situation. There are many online stores where you can buy a slipcover that suits you. We will be happy to help you. You will find a slipcover that you will definitely like in our store:) Feel free to visit our website!

Andrea,

Mamma Mia Covers

• chrisstack
    3 years ago

Yvondag how did you make out with your sofa? Thinking about your sofa, TK should take responsibility as well. Your post saved me, one of my two choices was your fabric. Like I said I will not use Crypton fabric. My understanding is that Sunbrella and Inside/out are good performance fabrics. Good luck!

• yvondag
    3 years ago

Hi @Chrisstack - I settled:(. - I just had to "let it go" - is it the same color I received less than a year ago? NO. Am I going to let it upset me anymore? NO. Guess some good has come from the COVID crisis (for me) & (if we allow it - puts things in perspective!) Live and learn - glad you avoided the problem. Have a blessed day!

• chrisstack
    3 years ago

Smart lady, I am doing the same thing.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

If all else has failed and you're stuck with the stains on your expensive sofa after nearly a year and you don't want to cover the sofa, consider deliberately adding to the existing stain -- using multiple shades of blue fabric dye to create your own "art" project -- and, perhaps, then use the sofa in another room before tossing it out.

• lisat2
    2 years ago

Jan Moyer - Yes, you were rude. It doesn't matter if the commenter was ridiculous in your opinion, in polite society we don't tell each other what we really think of them if it's negative, unless it's in private and for a very good reason, to help them, and without malice.