SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Vegetarian cooking for meat eater

l pinkmountain
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Any other vegetarians out there happily living with a supportive meat eater? My food philosophy tends towards local, ecological and healthful options, but I don't need my food to be philosophically pure. We try to eat whole foods, easy on the dairy and sugar. We break our rules without guilt but that doesn't mean we want to break them every day. Lately I have been in the worst dinner rut! Hubs is just not enthusiastic about my meal choices, he sighs around tofu and lentils, and fake meat products. I have mild gluten sensitivity so can't pig out on seitan. It's not that we won't or don't eat those foods, I just haven't found a way to make them exciting for my husband so he doesn't have to put on a hair shirt to eat dinner. He's very conservative. He's OK with stir fry, chili, and even fake pepperoni on pizza, since pizza is a "regular" food. But I can't seem to come up with easy, quick meals during the week that he doesn't stare at me blankly when I suggest them. Today it was, "How about black bean and sweet potato stew?" Anyone . . . hello . . . ??

The worst part is, hubs is a big comfort food, American staples guy, he doesn't much care for curries or anything outside of his American and European background. He'll eat them, and he doesn't complain, it just doesn't float his boat. He is not a picky eater, but his mindset is not that of a person with an adventurous palate. Chicken fajitas is one of his favorite meals, for example. Seitan fajitas? This is not going to cut it with him. He was OK with vegan pot pie for another example, because it was delicious and familiar, but with it's cashew cream and pie crust, that takes too much time for a usual week night meal here. We'll muddle along, but I could use some inspiration!

Comments (44)