SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewjagor

Hale Navy for Foyer w/ Heavy Wainscoating?

generals1992
4 years ago

Hi all,

I've been given pretty much free reign to restyle a family member's foyer while they're out of town. This is one of the few rooms in the house that hasn't really been touched since they built the house ~25 years ago. The wallpaper is being removed tomorrow and painters coming later this week. I would love to see new wallpaper put up, but that is not an option.

My current plan is as follows:

• Paint the walls BM Hale Navy
  • Keep the trim/wainscoating white (SW Charleston White specifically)
  • Replace the two crystal chandeliers with Darlana Lanterns in Polished Nickel
  • Replace the two sconces with Hulton Double Sconces in Polished Nickel
  • Add two polished nickel swing arms above art that will go on wall opposite stairs
  • Remove the two armchairs
  • Move a buffet (they already own, so no furniture suggestions please) to the wall under the sconces, style with a mirror/plates above and some of her Chinoiserie on the buffet

Here's where I'm struggling:

• She has a sizeable collection of fine oil paintings, and to the extent I can make them work in the space, I would like to do that. I considered choosing gold fixtures, but feel that the pop of polished nickel against the blue would look a little more modern/sophisticated. My main concern is that the polished nickel may clash with the ornate gold frames if we reuse some of her art in the space.
  • Keeping the above in mind - do we need some brighter art/more modern art with the dark walls/polished nickel hardware? The homeowner is a local artist painter and has really taken to abstracts - part of the goal here is to update the style of the interior to make slightly more casual/transitional so that it will lend to showcasing her abstract pieces. That said, would like to showcase some of the antique oil paintings if they won't look too out of place.
  • Does anyone think hale navy too dark for this space? The amount of paintable wall space is actually minimal, and with all of the windows and and white trimwork, I feel like a bold dark color would look great here.
  • How does hale navy hold up for resale? Again, part of the goal here is to make the home more in line with their current tastes/style, but also want to be cognizant of making changes that will appeal to a future buyer if they do decide to sell in the next five years.

My backup color if I chicken out on the hale navy is BM Classic Gray, which is what their paneled family room and hallways are currently being painted. Again, I think the color will look great, but I fear they *may* panic if they see a bold color and think they'll never be able to sell without painting.

Comments (108)

• generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks, everyone.

I think we’re moving away from some of the ornate oils in this space. I will be incorporating her Japanese gold leaf panels stolen from another room - one of her finer pieces and I think they will fit perfectly on the wall opposite the stairs. I’m going to place one of her originals above the buffet going under the sconces. We’ve ordered framed intaglios for the wall opposite (on the left across from foot of stairs). Until those are made, I’ll be styling with a mirror and some of her china.

The one place I do plan to incorporate her oils will be on the stair wall. I do love a gallery wall with oil paintings, and while I haven’t thought it through yet, I’d love to see if I can come up with a grouping that will go well on that wall. If that doesn’t go well, i will likely leave blank as a space for one of her tapestries or for more of her abstract art.
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Persian rugs - at least two of them - will stay.

I agree on the lantern. It’s a trend and that’s what we’re trying to do here. When it goes out of style it’s more than likely they either won’t live here or will replace with something else.
  • Related Discussions

Desperately Need Help with Coordinating Colors

Q

Comments (13)
    I love your room, usually that would be too much wood for my taste but your room has a very warm and inviting feel to it. We too have honey oak cabinets and I've found that the citrus greens seem to work really well with them, much better in my opinion than the sages which tend to look a bit too gray or drab (sorry I know it's a popular color) and the olives which depending on the space can look too heavy. If you're looking for a warm and cheerful green, you may want to consider something with a tad more yellow in it so it will compliment the woodwork more. Some examples would be colors like: Behr Asparagus , Behr Grass Cloth: It's much prettier in person and I've used quite a bit in our own home (pictured below). or BM Perinnial- Another nice green is the color Aunt Jen just used in her living space, Agave, I believe it's Benjamen Moore. I've posted this pic a lot so sorry if you've seen it already, hope it helps. I wish I had a sample of the Grass cloth next to the oak, but we're in the middle of getting a back splash put in and the kitchen isn't painted...yet. Also, since your room is larger, you may want to consider a green that's a shade lighter like SW Rice Paddy also a great color.
    ...See More

My 50's bay area ranch tour. And I need help with paint :)

Q

Comments (1)
    nice, very boho. i do not usually do paint.
    ...See More

White/off white dining room rug?

Q

Comments (5)
    IMO you should have done the dark color on the bottom now it makes the walls seem top heavy and also the contrast with a light rug would have worked better . Now please remove those blinds for sure and just use drpes , nice and full and in maybe a faux silk in such a formal room. A rug like this might work with drapes to match the walls
    ...See More

Bedding for Master

Q

Comments (18)
    You originally wanted fun and not light, due to your dogs, and it’s neither. I also think it could feel washed out due to navy ceiling and your dark furniture. If you are now ok with going lighter, a white duvet cover (try Ikea) is a great choice as it can be soaked in oxy-clean and occasional bleached - add your personality when accessorizing. If you want fun.... https://www.wayfair.com/East-Urban-Home--Comptche-Social-Proper-Proof-of-Life-Duvet-Cover-Set-X114566146-L1221-K%7EW003455035.html?refid=GX441185726308-W003455035_818446793&device=m&ptid=935832207002&network=g&targetid=pla-935832207002&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=58673863&fdid=1817&PiID%5B%5D=818446793&gbraid=0AAAAAD9ISC5wfwakip2GTZY9jDqkMF2ZL&gclid=CjwKCAjwt8uGBhBAEiwAayu_9dW_fbS1xhf7uJQVcJuSCVnE3pw9ydR-XcaJ5RZEVPPibKoyhhWqOhoCPpkQAvD_BwE&piid=818446647&utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social https://www.caronsbeachhouse.com/amp/blue-tie-dye-chic-queen-size-duvet-set/ https://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Deny-Designs-Pineapples-Blue-Duvet-Cover-Set-3-Piece-Set/21487119/product.html?epik=dj0yJnU9MVVfdFVhTXhfdXVOUWVpeWM4Q1JSTm5yWlJCSDA4Sm8mcD0wJm49cmUwYWdMaDNOZVVpbURsMEVNM0x0dyZ0PUFBQUFBR0VQM3VF&utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social
    ...See More
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Painting still in progress, but staging other areas while I wait for paint to dry. Progress update below.

She’s going to paint a new piece for above the buffet, but I want her to be able to visualize so I put one of her in-progress paintings here that I stole from her studio. I actually think the colors go great.

We’ve ordered framed intaglios to go in place of the mirror, but for the time being, I’m going to style it with some of her Amari plates considering keeping this demilune table I pulled from a guest bedroom underneath.
  • lynartist
    4 years ago
    I think that looks very nice. Somehow it seems like we aren’t getting the whole picture here though! All along I was picturing gold framed art and traditional Persian rugs. I now see that’s not what you had in mind.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    I hate to be Debbie downer, and maybe when you complete it will come together but that art doesn’t work there at all to my eye. See what else you can use that has at least a touch of the dark blue or red if the red carpets are coming back into the space? Idk.
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Haven’t hung oils yet. The abstract painting here is just temporary until she paints something new for the space.
  • lynartist
    4 years ago
    I know you have a vision and am sure it will look very lovely! It’s really hard to give input though when the elements are not exactly as imagined or described.
  • lynartist
    4 years ago
    BTW, if you are going in this direction then I suggest you take Dianna Bier’s suggestion and use sisal in here; up the stairs as well. I don’t mind a frameless modern painting in this space but I don’t think the Persian rugs will work.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    I can’t get my head around sisal in this elegant entry. If we need a more casual look, a broadloom carpet on stairs and cut and bound in exact size rugs needed
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Opps hit post yo early. You get my meaning.
  • lynartist
    4 years ago
    Sisal”look” have you Flo! But I can see it far more so than the Persians! Anyway, that’s it for my input.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

That's an interesting combo of Persian-type rug in center and sisal on each end. That might work. Just guess it is a personal decision. I think it will all come together and the "client" will probably have a lot to say in the end! lol

• generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    The “client” will have quite a bit to say and is quite confident in her decisions.

When I questioned the rugs, I was told the Persians are extremely valuable antiques “worth more than the house itself.” I’m assuming that means we will change the fixtures and other decor before we get rid of those.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I surely don't mean to offend you generals1992 at all, because I know you are ardently trying to do this extremely well and to your "client's" preferences, so please know I admire your efforts tremendously.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I love both sisal/sea grass and Persian rugs, but if the Persians are valuable antiques, then they will add a lot gravitas to the space.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The sisal just says "beach" to me, so all in for the Persians here, especially with the "art gallery" and elegant wood work, etc. Of course, I want antique brass fixtures too, but with some modern styling. Yes, I do want it all! lol

• burdette1020
    4 years ago
    Please keep updating us on the changes you are making in this beautiful house.
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    No offense taken!

See below for update photos. Really pleased with how the wall color turned out. Given the rush of painting and decorating this space in three days, my motivation was nil by the time it came to staging. Got a few electrical items to take care of and still waiting on framed intaglios I ordered, but overall very pleased with outcome thus far.

That said, definitely want to make some tweaks:

- lighting: now that I see the space I almost think the crystal chandeliers that were in here would work better. I’m firmly on team brass at this point but will have to wait until my dad is ready to spend money again and my mom decides she likes them better than the nickel. The swing arm here was temporary until we decide on finish and can order a more traditional picture light.

- art: we’ve ordered some framed intaglios to go in place of the mirror. The print is borrowed from my house and will be changed as soon as my mom paints one for the space. I got tired of standing on my toes, so the gallery wall still has about two more rows to go.

- rugs: keeping the Persians, will likely get a new one to put in front hall, move this one back to the back, and lose the runner.
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Few more:
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    It is looking good except the brushed nickel. So hoping That magically changes to a form of brass.
  • PRO
    4 years ago

Looks fantastic so far! The console with the blue and white ginger jars is perfect. The gallery wall also looks great--so much work, right? It's really coming together!

• generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes - normally I would lay a gallery wall out and measure, but after a full day of painting/moving stuff around I did it completely by eye and am actually very pleased with how it turned out. The real pain is going to be wiring for picture lights down from the attic.

• vandar
    4 years ago

Following.

• generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My parents were thrilled with the outcome and love the polished nickel. No chance of swapping until they renovate later this year (and I convince them that there's some alternative use where these fixtures would be better suited, such as Kitchen or Master). Still have some wrap-up items (installing smart switches, swapping outlets, swapping mirror for new intaglios, adding a picture light in place of the swing arm).

The project has expanded slightly to include painting/decorating their upstairs landing/hallway as well as their downstairs hallway. I'm torn as to whether or not to paint them the same Hale Navy vs. BM Classic Gray, which is what the rest of the downstairs/upstairs will be painted. There is technically no division of space between the upstairs hall and the foyer; previously, it was painted a different color as the wallpaper only ran up the stair wall (as you can see in the pictures previously posted). I think at the least the back wall with the windows should be painted to match the navy as it can be seen from downstairs, but am torn as to whether to just commit to the look for the entire space. It is a rather large hallway that wraps around, and a good bit of it has no windows. If it were any other color that was less dark/bold, I have no question that it would be painted the same color; however, I don't want to overdo the blue either.

As far as the downstairs hall, it is just to the left of the stairs and is currently cluttered with about 1,000 picture frames full of family photos. My plan is to decorate with floor to ceiling matching 20x20 prints with oversized mats. Worth noting, their guest bath is off this hallway, which will be wallpapered. Do I (a) continue the hale navy into the hallway; (b) go with the classic gray to match the rest of the downstairs so as not to overwhelm with the blue; or (c) use a matching or at least coordinating wallpaper to what will be used in the guest bath? I love the idea of wallpaper for the space but don't love that it would detract from the wallpaper in the bathroom. I think using a different color is ok as it is framed out by cased openings and technically its own space. I also love the idea of continuing the hale navy as it is also an extension of the foyer/hall space downstairs - but don't want it to look too cavernous or detract from the pop of color in the foyer.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    That is great news. I think i would continue the blue. It is wonderful color and then knock socks off with amazing wallpaper in guest bath. Just make sure you have adequate lighting for night. I need to revisit your photos so I reserve the right to change my mind! Congratulations on a fantastic job and on 3 days!! Awesome!
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Downstairs hall has recessed lighting so not as worried about that as I am with upstairs. May find myself in the attic running Romex for cans! Stay tuned. I do sincerely appreciate everyone’s help thus far!

We’ve got a master bath, three guest baths, and a kitchen/keeping room remodel coming in the near term, so hopefully all of you will join me on those posts as well.

They are chomping at the bit to get their paneled den done. It is paneled with beautiful birch and has a custom stain, but it is also their primary / casual tv/sitting room and they really want to lighten it up. After failing to convince them to go with a lighter/natural stain, we’ve settled on BM classic gray for this space as well as everywhere else downstairs. We will be painting this space in the coming weeks and replacing the fireplace surround/bar counters with a Calcutta marble or similar. And hopefully reworking their builtins (not pictured) to accommodate the tv.
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Also new sofa / reupholstering existing Bergere chairs and keeping blue leather wingbacks. Fingers crossed for new windows as well.
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

So are they painting the wood?? I don't see paintable walls.

• generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Yes, painting the wood. Decision has been made so no point in saying why they shouldn’t.
  • MaryAnne Smith
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Classic Gray has an LRV of around 69 so it absorbs a good bit of light. Is that decision made? I would go with higher LRV color if they want to lighten things up. Grays are out and I find them pretty depressing especially in homes with lower ceilings.
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Not final, open to other decisions. Want a very light grey or beige.
  • hollybar
    4 years ago

BM Classic Gray? LRV is 74+ and are you doing it with a satin? Which will also bounce more light. Another consideration is when is this room most used?

• generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    BM lists LRV as 74.78.

For comparison, I looked at LRV of the color in my own home, which is SW On the Rocks, and it has an LRV of 62. I know, I know - comparing colors in different spaces is apples to oranges. But I would tell you that the color in my house is extremely light, if not almost white in broad daylight, both in my vaulted living room and in my guest bedroom with 8 ft. Ceilings. I suppose what I’m saying is that, while I certainly don’t discount your feedback, I don’t put a lot of faith in metrics for paint colors - I think you have to paint samples and that’s really the only way to know.

I’m not sure I agree that greys are going out. Maybe some of the more overused, darker grey colors (revere pewter, agreeable gray, etc. come to mind), but I would still take a creamy gray vs. its beige counterpart. I think a very light grey constitutes a neutral and will stand the test of time as would a very light tan. Short of going with a white/off-white, I struggle to think of a paint color without an expiration date. That said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I certainly appreciate you sharing yours - I’d love to hear some alternatives if you have any suggestions!
  • generals1992
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    @hollybar,

I would likely stick with flat or at most a satin or eggshell for drywall application, depending on application. Satin or eggshell for hallways, high traffic areas and flat everywhere else.

For the paneled den, that’s a good question. I would think an eggshell or even semi gloss might look better on paneling, but I’m really not sure. Room is heavily used throughout the day as my mother is retired and it is their primary sitting/TV room. Whatever color/sheen we go with will have to excel in all lighting conditions (although given location of this room, it doesn’t ever really get full sunlight).
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Well, I looked up BM Classic Gray in my BM Paint deck at I was wrong on the LRV I posted earlier as it is listed as 78.4 in my deck which is nice level of reflection. Another color people are enjoying is BM Pale Oak. It has an LRV of 67-70 depending on source. It is lovely neutral.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Here is Pale Oak
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Here is BM Classic Gray just to capture both here.
  • hollybar
    4 years ago

Lately,there is a "trend" toward painting rooms like your new project, including all the trim and all the walls, in the same finish. (pic below shows this done in a matte) Last year,when I* did my library I debated for weeks on this. Finally pulled the trigger for a FPE satin finish overall and I love it. Seamless,but then there wasn't much wall space anyway. Of course now I want a Brilliant finish just on the trim in another room ;-) So it goes.

Flo,I've noticed that sometimes a specific BM colour in one line (say Color Preview) has slightly different specs quoted in another of their lines (say Historic). Same color name just different numbers so my guess is that the base is slightly different? Or maybe they are just trolling us?

i*= the fabulous painters did all the work

• Tilly Teabag
    4 years ago

Not loving the nickel lighting in the hall AT ALL. viewed with the cold wall colour it is not cozy or welcoming.

If she wants modern, tell her to look at rusts and mustards. That is what is coming in.

A new room deserves a new thread or you will get people coming on with hall comments in the middle of your new room dilemma.

• Molly
    4 years ago
    Hollybar your dining room is gorgeous! I have a samplize sample of Pale Oak and am considering using it. It is definitely a light greige.
  • Molly
    4 years ago
    Here is a picture of the sample of Pale Oak.
  • Laura Mac
    4 years ago

Hollybar, your room is to-die-for gorgeous! What colors did you use?

Generals1992, how wonderful you get to help your parents and design their home with all their gorgeous antiques and paintings! I personally would do recessed lights along the hallway. to brighten it up a bit. I'm a big fan of gold (not the nickel) for the sconces, but glad to hear they like it. I like mixed metals (like gold with silver frames, etc., but it seems too modern for the space. What kind of chairs are you doing? Glad you are keeping the Persians. I'm envisioning velvet chairs..... Great job on the wall of photos, perfect! (I think the most fun part is that they went away for 3 days and you got to fix it up and reveal it to them. So special!). Be sure to post pics of the bathroom you are referring to and the room leading to it. Definitely need a gorgeous wallpaper in the powder room and marble and gorgeous faucets....

• hollybar
    4 years ago

@Molly That fabulous dining room is not mine! That is a pic from Houzz (this recent story https://www.houzz.com/magazine/a-new-transitional-style-for-collectors-of-antiques-and-art-stsetivw-vs~120491277 and I've no clue why the identifying info disappeared! @Laura Mac Designer states that the shade used is Farrow and Ball Lamp Room Grey.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Painting the trim and walls the same color almost creates the same effect as a paintable embossed wallpaper--the texture becomes the interesting feature. Cool.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hollybar, I thought that was your room as well! It is gorgeous and I'm sure yours is too. I LOVE the idea of painting all the walls the same color--very serene and smooth. Along with beautifully proportioned trim it is classic and elegant without being too formal.

To Laura Mac's point on lighting, I would NOT install recessed lighting in that hallway. It would totally destroy it. As would any LED bulbs. Recessed down lights are good for kitchens and baths, not in living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms or foyers. The sconces and chandeliers and possibly table lamps give you all the light you need for a foyer. You're not reading or doing any tasks that require close work, which would necessitate down lights.

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Will be very interested in following to see what you decide for the entryway and especially what you decide to do in this paneled room.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago
    Sorry it didn’t link properly.
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago
    Disregard my last post- wrong thread!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    As to paint going up at top of stairs, I couldn’t see from the previous photos but from what I could see, i still would carry the color up there. If there is wall you see from downstairs i would put that large white and pastels painting up there. It or one like it will bounce light around up there.