SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khondkarelahi

Bare Root Roses Not Doing Anything

Hello everyone. So I posted a little more than a month back about some bare root roses I purchased that were pushing growth too soon that got promptly fried.

Now I'm a month out after planting them, and although two of them out of 20 are leafing out (one of them started leafing out from the beginning like the other ones but actually didn't lose the growth, despite not having a proper root system yet!) (the other one that is leafing out actually DID lose the initial growth, but now has started pushing growth from some backup bud eyes, I guess), the rest are literally hanging out doing nothing.

Alright, truth be told, they are ever so slowly beginning to die back. The canes are all still green, but I've gradually had to cut back little by little as the tips are slowly dying back. They are watered enough, that's for certain, but they're just not doing anything. I'm really concerned. It's not like they didn't break dormancy, they were already doing that from inside the box they were shipped in. But I've been taking good care of them and they are not pushing growth from their backup buds.

Are they certain to have backup buds after breaking dormancy and losing that initial growth? I know that's what some people were saying when I did a prior search about bare root roses, but I just don't see it on mine, and one month is a long time. The heat and sunlight has been generally intense down here in Texas, but this entire week is supposed to be cloudy with intermittent rain, so hopefully it's the respite the roses need to start pushing growth. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments (18)