SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanosull

Feedback on initial floor plan for remodel

Ryan
4 years ago

Hello all,

We are in the beginning stages of planning for a whole home renovation and just had our second meeting with our architect and builder where they presented their initial drawings for the floor plans. We really like the direction everything is going, but are looking for feedback on the overall floor plan and on a few areas in particular. Here is the overall floor plan for the main level. It's an unusually shaped house, which we like, but it's made figuring out the layout a bit tricky.

Floor Plans · More Info

First, the main living room has been a struggle to figure out how best to arrange furniture to take advantage of the view, while maintaining the function of the fireplace and entry to the deck. In the photo above, the wall on the far right is facing towards the best view, which we would like to be the focal point of the room. As drawn, the furniture is arranged in such a way as to focus on the wall at the bottom of the room. The entry to the deck is directly behind the sectional, and the fireplace is in the top left corner of the room. We also have the option to extend the room around 6 feet further toward the view, which would give us a little more room to play with. We've been struggling to find a way to make all of this work together while maintaining a flow in the room. We've come up with a few different thoughts, but none seem to be perfect.

One: Create two seating areas, one focused on fireplace, one focused on view. However, we cant seem to come up with a great seating arrangement and we don't know where we'd put a TV.

Two: Switch the living room and the dining room. Make the current dining room more of an informal living room with a TV on the wall facing the kitchen. In the current living room, place a dining table and a separate seating area. Again, because of the location of the fireplace and various entrances, we haven't figured out a great setup for this option either.

Three: Leave it with one main seating area facing similar to how it is now. Extend the room to allow for a couple of chairs facing out towards the view.

Moving on to the master bathroom and bedroom (Apologies for my markups):

Floor Plans · More Info

Currently, they have the shower on the right hand side of the picture, with the bath to the left of the entry, and the water closet set into the back left corner. We're concerned that this will make the closet too small, so my drawings are showing the water closet moving to the position of the bathtub and putting a soaking tub in next to the shower on the right hand side. Any thoughts on how best to use the space? For us, the priority is definitely the shower, so we are also open to losing the bathtub altogether, if necessary.

Finally, the kitchen and laundry.

Floor Plans · More Info

The goal is to open up the room and make a more functional indoor/outdoor space with the deck. Again, the odd angles of the house leave some dead space and I'm not sure if there is enough counter space and storage. There are a couple of ideas we've been playing with here.

One: use the extra space in the laundry room for a combined pantry/laundry with storage for smaller appliances and a bit more counter space.

Two: move laundry into the smaller master bedroom closet and open up the space to allow for a larger kitchen overall. With this option, I'm worried about not having any transition from the garage into the kitchen.

Any other great ideas that I'm missing here?

Again, any and all feedback on the overall floor plan is much appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (17)