SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coveln

can you please critique preliminary design sketch

coveln
5 years ago
I’d love some feedback on this early stage project.

It’s just a sketch. I know dimensions and proportions make a big difference but would still love comments on overall layout and shape and major flaws.

Here is the background info-probably more than you want.

House-

Must haves

3 true bedrooms
2.5 bathrooms
Main living areas oriented towards best view towards north/northeast
Kitchen on outside wall with window over sink

Would like

4th bedroom or area that can be multipurpose. It would have exercise bike and desk for sure but maybe a pull out sofa or Murphy beds for occasional guests.

Prefer kids bedrooms closer to master than others may suggest. I’m in my daughter’s room often at night.

Considering a large pantry with extra kitchen prep space-butler kitchen I guess. For us it would be a place to prepare gluten containing food. Would put small oven or toaster oven or something there. The main kitchen counters and appliances could remain gluten free.
This could be done I suppose separate from the pantry but it won’t be a huge kitchen so not sure we can do any of it.

3rd full bath instead of half would be nice

Good area for pet food, litter box and ideally dog door exit to outside.

Lot info

Beautiful 2 acre lot close to my work and town but large lots and agricultural zoning in neighborhood.

Tropical climate

Lot has gentle slope towards to northeast corner.

Best approach for driveway is on the north part of the lot as drawn

Views are 360 degrees but best views are north and north east which is ocean view

East to south east view is valley, distant mountain and maybe city (not sure how much city view until we clear lot more)

We are nestled up to a mountain which is to the west. Sun isn’t visible near sunset.

Our winds will come from north and north east direction.

There is one neighbor in view on the south side of the lot.

There is a stream in a gully running on north side of lot which you can hear if close enough.

Comments (16)