SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emho23

Living room paint color w/ maroon brick fireplace

emho23
4 years ago

Hello! I am hoping for some thoughts on what color to paint the living room in our 1914 bungalow located outside Boston. The room is primarily south facing, but also gets light from the east and west. Flooring is the original heart pine, currently being refinished. We plan to put the sofa by the windows (right side, if you're facing the fireplace) and the TV opposite. All the woodwork that is currently stained wood/not painted is going to stay that way (e.g., the beams).

The conundrum is that the fireplace is a SUPER dark brick, original to the house. It needs to be repointed with a less contrasty mortar, so we will do that soon, but the brick itself is staying and I don't want to paint it. Also planning to keep the quarry tile hearth (original) and brass screen, and the sconces are new. It's proving hard to find a paint color that will look good with the brick and the brass! Grey is a common suggestion for a south-facing room, but I don't think it would look good with the brick, which is almost purple. Other than off white, which seems boring, or navy, which I think might be overwhelming (and also, we are using a navy/grey in the nearby dining room). Any suggestions?

Pics:

This one shows the actual color pretty well. As you can see, someone did a terrible repoint job that needs to be remedied.

This is from before the sconces went in. You can see the beams and the light pretty well.

Comments (39)