SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankthetank101

First Time Home Owner in NC - Centipede Grass Help!

Francis Wodrazka
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello,

First things you should know - I live in Wilmington, NC where the summers are very warm AND (probably more important) I never took care of any Lawn in my life. I tried doing things myself without much advice and now I'm almost ready to throw in the towel. The amount of weeds along with the grass that has died are kicking my butt. Any (useful) advice that anyone can throw my way would be GREAT! as I'm trying to avoid things getting worse.

To give you an idea how bad things have gone, below are some pictures that I hope can help explain my situation(s) more clearly:

Below is what my lawn looked like when the home was purchased (2017):

Below is what the lawn looks like today 4/28/2019 (close to the worse on the block - I'm surprised I haven't heard any complaints from the HOA:

The very front parts of the lawn have these huge terrible weeds (close up pictures below). It seems that they decided this is a good place for them to live as well! Can these be removed and if so, what do I put down in its place? To help avoid the future pictures your about to see.

Located closer to the home are these huge barren areas where there is little to no grass. I'm not sure what to do besides continuing to water. I do have irrigation and run that zone (20 mins x 3 times per week) We have had some rain at least once a week this month but I feel it will only get hotter and dryer.

This doesn't look like the ideal growing environment (I may need a soil test):

Besides watering, I did put some Pre-Emergent (Sunniland Crabgrass Preventer 0-0-7) in March to help with future weeds growing but did not put any down in the previous years (Again I'm new and it never occurred to me that lawns needed care). I completely underestimated this.

Also, I dd notice these very dark areas as well when I was mowing yesterday. I'm not sure if someone can identify what this is but, I have a hard time believing its good for the lawn:

More weeds that I need help identifying:

Also as a side project I had drains installed along the side of the house over the winter and the landscaper spread some rye grass in those areas which looks considerably better. I'm not sure if the rye grass is a long-term solution since I heard it will burn quickly once we get into the warmer summer months.

I do plan to keep a running dialog and hopefully show some updated pictures later on the progress. Thank you for your help and I look forward to any responses.

Comment (1)