SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy

Input sought for bathroom floor plan.

jakabedy
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm in the very early stages of planning a bathroom reno. This is the 9' x 7'-ish master bath in a 1954 MCM home. Everything is in its original location, save for the tub area, which was pushed a foot into the adjacent room sometime in the last ten years to accommodate a larger jetted tub. Nothing is sacred -- particularly the 28" square shower and its 20" door. I've attached sketches of the current layout and the proposed layout (click on them to see full size). Will add photos in comments.

With the reno I'll widen the entry door from 24" to 33" (hoping to make it a pocket door). The old shower and tub go away and a large shower goes where the tub was. I was having clearance problems leaving the toilet where it was, so moved the toilet to the former shower location. Added benefit of the toilet being in the former shower space is the recessed wall in that area -- pushes the toilet back a bit. It all seems to make sense, but I'm not finding any examples anywhere of baths where the toilet is next to the door. Am I a crazy person for thinking it will be fine there?

Of note, I'm on a crawlspace, so moving the toilet is doable. Also, given the age, style and location of the home, changing this from a full to a 3/4 bath isn't really going to be a problem for resale (more likely a benefit).

Thoughts? Ideas? Condolences?

Comments (19)