SaveComment101Like
Comments (101)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

2 Likes Save    

(stupid posting glitch, lol)

Mid week I made a favorite Adobo Chicken dish in our rotation. NOT leftovers. Planned meals for a couple days. Bagged in one pound portions from a local farm. 2pounds marinated overnight. 19 tiny thighs, boneless/skinless. Succotash.

Save    

First boule of 2019.

2 Likes Save    

Chicken soup...

Artichoke chicken crustless pot pie...

Last nights grilled cheese/tomato soup. Prosciutto bacon/mozzarella/manchego

(bummer my handle snapped off my grill pan)

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw

Sleeven - how do you make your succotash? I love the stuff and yours looks quite lovely.

Save    

Succotash. I love it also. I'm old school EasternShore/Chesapeake where I grew up. (many years ago). I used to be specific picky but have substitutions that work great. Busy in the kitchen now...asparagus soup. But I'll be back.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Oh, that's too bad about the grill pan. Everything looks wonderful and fresh, but the boule looks especially perfect, I love crusty bread. Funny, when I was a kid I wanted the crusts cut off the bread!

I've had some kind of a stomach bug for a couple of days now, so Elery has been eating leftovers and I've been sipping peppermint tea, maybe tomorrow I'll cook. I did cook an oddly shaped chuck roast for the dog, does that count?

Annie

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

oddly shaped? You need to talk to your butcher .... ^_^

Save    
annie1992

Bragu, I think it was closer to being a shoulder roast, although the package SAID chuck roast. Or it was the last chuck roast on that animal, just as it reached the shoulder joint. Molly isn't complaining anyway!

Annie

Save    

The pups eat pretty good around here. DH eyed a pyrex clear big bowl in the fridge a few weeks ago (that had some noodles found in the back of the pantry and some decent veggies but not super fresh)...chicken livers and thighs, green tripe....

He thanked me for making such a nice lunch, lol. I'm glad he said something. Raw ofal no so tasty IMHO.

Save    

It is a great grill pan but soo heavy. The handle was always in the way covering the knob on the big gas center burner. Love the high sides that works so well with a splatter screen unlike my other flat griddles. Love it for fall harvest veg, then freeze.

Mixed blessing. It now fits in my oven and with the handle gone, and should have purchased the 10inch instead of 12. I'll grind down the rough edges and will most likely use it more. I have a personal budget every year on Zwilling cyber Monday the last 5-6 years. Have loved all of it so far. Replaced most of my old enameled cast iron. Staub love. And a few knives.

Excellent asparagus/leek soup last night but super ugly. Not really a big fan of soup puree. Baby food to me. DH had it for breakfast and lunch. (cold, horrors!) ...And thought it would be an easy dinner tonight...no way. Going in the dog bowl. Made it a 'tiny pic'. : )

Save    
neely

Artichokes, Adobe Chicken, that Boule bread ... fantastic cooking and eating Sleevendog. Lol your husband nearly had a surprise meal.

We had long slow cooked lamb shanks. There’s mashed potato underneath.

2 Likes Save    
cookebook

Chicken and shrimp fried rice again. I'm from the south so I fall into the black-eyed peas and cabbage thing for new year's. Wasn't feeling it this year so I made fried rice with similar good luck associations. It totally worked! lol Having a great and lucky year!

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I've made this a few times, it's one of many, of our favourite dishes. It's from the Cook's Country One-Pot Wonders cookbook. I borrowed the book from the library and wrote out what I wanted.

Shrimp, orzo, tomatoes, peppers, onions, peas and feta. Delicious!!!

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Sundays have always been making a big meal.......enough for leftovers for thru the week. I didn't have a good weekend, so not much cooking was done.

I'm not working this evening (I work evenings) so I did my cooking tonite. I had the orzo and shrimp for dinner (above) with enough for leftovers.

I just took this out of the oven.......chicken, onions and peppers. My 12" Lodge is getting a workout tonite!

2 Likes Save    
Lars

Sleevendog, I would love to have dinner with you at some time! DB (Kevin) and I will be in Philadelphia the first week in August this year for about a week (I think) - would that give me time to see you? We will be stopping in Michigan at the end of July to visit Annie, but I haven't made any of the reservations yet. I noticed that we can fly directly to Grand Rapids from LAX and direction to Philadelphia from Grand Rapids, and so that should make the trip fairly easy. We'll fly back to LAX from Philadelphia, and there should be dozens of flights to choose from. I just need to get the flight to Grand Rapids from LAX reserved (once I know the exact dates), and I think it will be fairly easy to get a flight to Philly from Grand Rapids. I don't know yet how much time Kevin will be able to take off from work, but he will be attending UOAA National Conference in August, 6-10, and I will have that time to do whatever.

None of my friends in Philly will be in town at that time :( and so I thought I might go to New York or New Jersey to visit friends while Kevin will be at the convention. I don't know what there is to do in Philly, and since all my friends are evacuating the city at that time, it does not seem like a good time to be there.

We had leftover lasagna for dinner, but I'll be making something completely different tomorrow - possible fish. The Westchester Farmer's Market is tomorrow, but it is small. However, I will go anyway to get vegetables, and then I can go to Bristol Farms (which is just a couple of blocks from the FM) and get some fish.

Save    

What fun! An 'Annie' tour. (I'm an Annie)

Actually I never know where I will be so far in advance. For 10years we were always in Newfoundland August-Sept. Last year I was here in NYC. Would have to be a flexi-date.

Dumplings, avocado salad. Two dipping sauces. Sesame and oriental mustard, (mustard powder from ButcherPacker...Annie's recommendation). It made an excellent dressing for the greens.

1 Like Save    

Lamb, brussels, potatoes! Perfection.

Inspired by the shrimp above...

A couple noodle bowls this week. Had DH pick up a variety of noodles to try. Re-stock the pantry. Gulf shrimp and sesame crusted tofu. Hijiki and black rice noodles with chili/sesame crusted chicken thighs.

Last night hijiki/arame salad. So good I had two. Then we both had another salad that was packet for todays lunch...with a bean chowder.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Lars, I'm so looking forward to seeing you again, and Kevin too.

Jasdip, that chicken looks really good in your cast iron pan!

sleevendog, your food always looks good and fresh. I do hope you get to meet with Lars and Kevin, they are delightful company. I'm betting they would like all your seafood too, here in the Midwest we're a long way from any ocean, so they won't be able to get much of that here...

Here I made a lentil stew with sweet potatoes, tomatoes and turmeric, so it looked orange even with brown lentils. It was finished with sauteed cabbage and coconut milk, just mildly spicy with a single jalapeno. Elery liked it a lot:

Yesterday Elery had a doctor's appointment in Grand Rapids, so we went to Sanitary Fish and got lake perch, my favorite. We had that for supper along with leftover Waldorf Salad and a salad with edamame, carrots and corn. It wasn't bad, but it'll be a lot better in the summer when the corn is fresh, I used some that I froze last year from the garden, and the recipe called for frozen corn, but fresh would be better.

Annie

2 Likes Save    
neely

So simple but yummy Jasdip... chicken, onions, peppers. Also like the tasty looking shrimp and orzo. My DH says of orzo ‘ it’s so easy to eat’.

Sleevendog, you have tasty looking shrimp and tofu... all meals are tasty looking.

Annie your lentil stew with sweet potatoes looks yum and reminds me how much I love a lentil meal like this.

Dinner was one of our oven bake ups with lots of spices and chilli. Fresh beans, yoghurt, chutney and rice. Easy to put pieces of chicken (thighs) Brussels, potato, cauliflower, all in a baking dish covered with spices mixed in yoghurt and bake for 45-60 mins.

We also had lasagna one night. The pasta part was an instant whole meal which I did not like and have no idea why I bought it.

The corn and salad were better.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

looks fabulous Neely

1 Like Save    
cookebook

Now I want corn again, Neely lol I won a sales contest at work for which I received a $100 gift certificate from Amazon. Bought some new spices and used them over the weekend.

roasted veggies two ways.

the best lemon pepper seasoning I've ever tried.

This was yummy too.

Chicken thighs I needed to use seasoned with mushroom spice.

This was very good but rather salty. Will have to remember that next time.

Mushroom rice with portobellos and dried black fungus I got at Hong Kong Market and the mushroom spice.

Save    
neely

Oh cookebook, we say Snap or Same Same but Different. All looks delicious.

1 Like Save    

Cinco de Mayo Oaxacan Mole. Korean BBQ chicken.

Very veggie frittata. Beet greens, spinach, mushroom, leek...potato crust.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Good eating as always, in the CF!!!

I made hubby's favourite baked pork chop and rice the other day. I also steamed carrots. The pork chops are browned and then put on top of rice, vegetables and broth then baked in the oven. They always come out nice and tender.

1 Like Save    
writersblock (9b/10a)

Everything in this thread looks so good!

Jasdip, my mom used to bake pork chops like that, but over potatoes, not rice.

Neely, that lamb shank makes me so hungry, and cookebook, your fried rice does, too, and Annie's lentils.

Sleevendog, your frittata reminds me of a quiche lorraine I had in Belgium once. The pastry was crammed as full of fresh veggies as they could, then just enough of the egg/cheese mixture to hold it together. It wasn't what I expected, but it sure was good.

Incidentally, I've been having trouble tracking down small containers for growing macrogreens. Do you think that the smaller black plastic takeout containers would work? The only official growing containers I can find that are smaller than 10 x 20 are the deep ones to protect bean sprouts if you plan to sell them. I'd like to get some started, since summer and bugs and impossible outside conditions are just around the corner here. I thought I might try a micro tom tomato on the windowsill, too.

Save    
annie1992

Neely, add me to the list that likes your corn, it looks fresh and not overcooked, which is often a problem with corn on the cob, people think they have to boil it to death! Chicken thighs are my favorite chicken part, so I approve of that too!

cookebook, congratulations on the gift certificate, that's just how I'd spend it too, a trip to Trader Joe's, LOL. I do like their 21 seasoning salute, but I've not tried the Mushroom seasoning, I'm going to have to look for that the next time I go. Your vegetables look good, I do like most vegetables roasted and I often make big sheet pans like that. Great minds....(grin).

Jasdip, great minds apparently do think alike, because I also had pork chops, but yours looks better. Mine were done in the crockpot, with sauerkraut and onions and fresh asparagus from the garden on the side.

Today was Elery and my anniversary, 11 years, so we went out to a place called Kitchen 67 in Grand Rapids. They have a sandwich called "Bird in the Hand" that Huffington Post called "the sandwich you have to try before you die". Yeah, OK, so we tried it. It was good, but really, it was a chicken sandwich. (shrug) I had fish tacos which we both agreed were better. Although I'm not a fan of tilapia the strips were thin enough that I didn't notice the "mushiness" that usually puts me off when I eat tilapia, and they were served with a chipotle tartar sauce and avocado as well as lettuce. https://www.kitchen67.com/

Sleevendog, last night we had a broccoli quiche with the remaining broccoli on the side, what is it with this thread, we're all eating the same stuff! I took some to Mother when I picked her up for her doctor's appointment, so she was happy too.

Yours looks better though, with more vegetables, and I really like mole, I saw Pati Jinich make it recently and thought I hadn't made it in a long time. Maybe next week I'll add that into the meal rotation, I did see bags of dried guajillo chilies at the local Meijer, surprisingly enough.

I've been trying to clean my freezers, and I found some turkey breast left from a giant bird I'd bought a while ago and split it into parts because it was so huge. Elery brined it and I roasted it, it was nice and moist, I served it with some fresh marinated cole slaw and home canned golden beets.

To get my baking fix, The Princess asked me to help her make Three Kings' Cake for her Spanish class assignment on Mexican holidays. While the dough was in the bread machine, I beat her at yet another game of Scrabble, LOL, but she's a fierce competitor and she's going to keep trying until she beats me. We put the dried fruit on before we baked the bread, but it turned dark and was ugly, so we peeled it off and glued the fruit on with corn syrup after baking.

I think that catches me up, and who knows what the weekend will bring? Mother's Day is Sunday, so maybe I won't cook. Or maybe I will!

Annie

3 Likes Save    

Driving a car!!. Oh my. haha. How time flies. Fantastic you are there to lean on and teach. Life lessons never forgotten.

"Incidentally, I've been having trouble tracking down small containers for growing macrogreens. Do you think that the smaller black plastic takeout containers would work? The only official growing containers I can find that are smaller than 10 x 20 are the deep ones to protect bean sprouts if you plan to sell them. I'd like to get some started, since summer and bugs and impossible outside conditions are just around the corner here. I thought I might try a micro tom tomato on the windowsill, too."

Any container will work. Just need holes for drainage. And the lids from take-out are great for the under saucer. And dishwasher safe. I use a 4x5, a 5x8, and the 1010 square commercial for big seeding for parties. 2 inch deep is fine. You can use clear clamshells that salad and cherry toms come in from the grocery.

I learned everything from commercial growers....just scaled it down. Keep it simple. Pea. radish. cabbage. Ok, maybe sunflower. I have about 40 varieties but know the individual needs. Just started 3 trays this morning. Two trays mid-week. Probably 3-4 tomorrow but I can bang it out in 10 minutes...

Watch youtube, 'CurtisStone micro greens', all of them ...5-6 videos. Total one hour.

Micros are fun indoors. I have three but not yet stable. One is F8 and close. The Angora leaf is F6 and still needs work. All under 8inches.

Save    
Jasdip

Happy Anniversary Annie and Elery!!!!!!!!!!

Is that the Princess???? She looks terrific. Different, did she cut her hair? Or maybe she's just growing up so darned fast.

Today was bread making day, so I made 1 loaf of bread, and the other half was turned into rolls and hot dog buns. I got a brain-fart, trying to figure out how to make a hot dog/sausage bun, but they'll work. The sausage and wieners won't know any different ;-)

It so weird not having enough bread crumbs in the freezer anymore. After making bread every week or 2 for years, I always had the heels and other weird stuff to put in the freezer for crumbs. Now I'm always running out. I hate the thought of "buying bread crumbs". Something so easy shouldn't have to be purchased. I guess I can do it once, keep it in the freezer and then I can catch up with my own bread again. Or bake a flop........that always makes good crumbs!

Save    
writersblock (9b/10a)

Thanks, sleevendog! Very helpful, as always.

Save    
Jasdip

I made some drumsticks with a glaze of honey, hoisin, soy sauce, sriracha (I used hot chili sauce) and garlic. The recipe called for grilling the chicken but I baked them at 400 along with the potatoes.

Steamed and sauteed green beans and onions and roasted potatoes.

2 Likes Save    
neely

Lovely posts from everybody, and funny about the doubling up. Congratulations to you and Elery, Annie. I sort of remember when you posted about meeting him and here we are 11 years later. Yummy chicken Jasdip.

We had crispy skin Salmon again with scalloped potatoes. We went off Salmon a while back but we are really enjoying it again.... just not too often or too big a piece.

I made giant Cornish pasties, they have to have Swede (rutabaga) to taste as they should to me.

That’s the filling falling out the side.

Next day with the left over pastry trimmings I made a few fruit tarts. No sugar in them but dusted with icing sugar. So easy, no precooking or prebaking, just placed cut up pear and blackberries in the little shells and baked for about 1/2 hour. DH was eating them before I could get my phone for a photo.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I love that your hubby was grabbing your tarts and eating them Neely!!!!

I made 'Easy Pad Thai" last night. It was okay. If I make it again, I'll cut down on the peanut butter and brown sugar and up the hot chili sauce. I put green beans in to get some vegetables in there.

I bought the shrimp at Costco and they're huge! They come in 2x500 gram bags for $18 so definitely comparable to other stores. They're cut in half, in the photo.

1 Like Save    
cookebook

I can't believe you and Elery have been married for eleven years. I remember when yall met!

Save    
yeonassky

Annie just wanted to say congratulations to you and Elery for your 11th!

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Trying to stay off the CF as we still have no kitchen (well, I do pop on and look at the food, of course!), but had to pop on and comment quickly on all these extraordinary looking meals! I mean, wow!

Happy Anniversary Annie and Elery :-)

Save    
annie1992

Thanks, everyone. It's hard to believe we've been married over a decade now, time does go quickly. I had to go and find the old thread, when I first met him. The pictures in the first frame are gone, but they are down at the bottom. Copenhagen is gone, of course, he died a couple of years ago, but Elery is thankfully still here, and much thinner too. That is NOT the fault of my cooking, BTW. (grin)

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2339690/fresh-beef-and-bachelor-2

So, what's for dinner? Elery made some beef BBQ in the crockpot for Mother's Day and both girls and all the grandkids visited, it was fun. He also had the foresight to buy ice cream, so they were all happy.

Today we got busy cleaning the pole barn and had leftover BBQ with some fresh corn and a pot of beans. Elery got kicked by one of the cows Saturday and we made a trip to the ER, fortunately nothing is broken but his arm is definitely multi-colored, and I just thought how far he'd come as a farm boy since that first time on Copenhagen.

Annie

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Happy anniversary A&E. I can't do math [ha] ... but we'll be celebrating 37 this fall. now over half our adult lives. I can't comprehend that math ... grats grats grats.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I've never seen that thread, nor subsequently the pictures. Thanks for sharing them Annie!!! Both Elery and Copenhagen are great looking!

Save    
writersblock (9b/10a)

Congratulations, Annie and Ellery. Was Copenhagen named after the Duke of Wellington's horse?

Save    
Compumom11

Happy belated Anniversary! So happy that you found each other and your lives and families blended so well.

Happy belated mother's day to all who celebrate. Mine was quiet and different than before with my daughter and grands now living in Atlanta. But our wonderful neighbors included us in their family brunch, then DS dropped by and finally DH took me out for sushi. The restaurant treated us all to a long stemmed rose and a glass of champagne. DH bought me chocolate covered strawberries from the market and all was good.

Save    
annie1992

Ellen, I didn't realize your DD and the grandkids had moved that far away. (sigh) That's got to be a difficult adjustment.

writersblock, he was indeed named after the horse that belonged to the man who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. And very few people ask that, they ask if he was named after the tobacco, so I'm impressed.

Jasdip, I forgot to mention your bread. It all looks good, even those hot dog buns!

Thanks, bragu, only 26 years to go. that would make me....um....90? Yeah, it's doable. (grin)

So, what's for dinner? Chicken korma and I'm baking some of Grandma's molasses cookies to take to Mother tomorrow, she wants me to put a perm in her hair, so that's on the agenda. I'll take pictures when they come out of the oven, I promise!

Annie

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

It was very cool and rainy the other day so I made Bolognese Sauce. This one didn't ask for any milk, so I didn't put it in. It just crossed my mind now, actually.

2 Likes Save    

That looks good. I saw a bolognese in my freezer trying to clean that thing out. (oy)

11 years? That's puppy love Annie, near newlyweds. : )

Good to know. I have hope since DH is in the doghouse, haha. Matches sox like a 2yr old. "what...?, they both had some red". 20 un-matched sox later...40 years in a few weeks. What's that card game? Where you match 'like' images...I'd win by miles.

I did not know the back story Annie. Congrats!

We have been 2 weekends in taste testing for an up-coming small party. I've been binge watching Japanology on y-tube, and Alex the French Guy, lol. Serious stuff and funny relief.

We want to do a big taste testing menu.

Nasu and tofu Dengaku, Kyuri Asa-zuke, Tsukemono, Hijiki/Arame, etc...I've been fermenting and quick pickling for eons. We have had a great time taking it up a notch. I've got 8 different quick pickles, 6 are great at 10-12 hours, 2 are best day of...3-5 hours. Then the mustard seed and the mushroom. 3 ferments, and the kimchi...8 grains and beans, macro-greens. Revelation is to set it all up outside on the deck. The only indoor sit down is the main. (still undecided) but want to use SouVide for sure. Probably steak 'cubes'.

pickle testing.

And 'culinary seizures' with pile-up plating but we were testing.

2 Likes Save    
l pinkmountain

Sleeve if there was a "Wow!" button on Gardenweb I would have definitely clicked it for your last post. What is the variety of the radish that looks like a watermelon?

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, that pasta looks good and the sauce looks creamy without the dairy at all.

Wow, that's a nice colorful plate of pickles, Sleevendog, and is that eggplant? I have a dozen plants, so if they do well....

Yes, we're still newlyweds. I did spend 30 years married to a raging alcoholic, who eventually moved in with his girlfriend and I just gave up, filed for divorce and said I was done forever. However, my boss was "worried" that I spent too much time alone (far preferable to my prior circumstances), and signed me up for eHarmony. She had met her husband that way, and said it was "the millenium malt shop", there was no good way for women "our age" to meet men locally. She told me I didn't even have to meet anyone, just TALK to other people, for crying out loud. Elery's sister had just talked him into signing up, after a similar long marriage to a woman with an alcohol problem. His son met HIS wife on eHarmony, so I talked. I talked to a popcorn farmer in Ohio, a police officer in Florida, a pastor in Pennsylvania, a cabinet maker in Idaho, a rancher in Texas. Elery was the only one in Michigan, LOL, and after several months of email he gave me his phone number. A few more months and we decided to meet each other and that picture with his coat over his shoulder was the first time we'd met face to face. We've been together since. He proposed on a boat in Traverse City, got down on one knee and everything. I put him on "probation" for a year, and when we got married we were both still working so he stayed in Jackson, three hours away, and I stayed in White Cloud and we drove back and forth when we could. I told people we could stay married forever if we never had to live together. Eventually we both retired, sold our houses, bought this farm and started to actually live together. And here we are....

And, of course, the Cooking Forum was right there through it all, cheering me on, giving me a pat on the back when I needed it and a kick in the rear when I needed that, and everyone was invited to the wedding. Some of the CF members came in person and everyone was there in spirit, and here we are, still here...

Annie

7 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I love your story, Annie!

Save    

It is only interesting if I keep challenging myself in the kitchen. New flavors, new spices, new methods. Never cared for oily Italian-American cheesy eggplant parm. Or catered bar fare 'pasta cheesy-cheesy' ...fried chicken parm cheesy-cheesy...Mac-n-cheessy. (duh, we all love it but not healthy)

Finding eggplant like we had in our favorite sushi bar years ago has been stellar. Tsp oil, facedown, cross-hatched, seared and steamed, covered, then face up under the broiler with a miso glaze...tender like butter. NOT fried and greasy.

Watermelon radish. I'm growing 5-6 varieties now. Hopefully more varieties will be available to all markets.

Save    

Freezer shopping Chicken/veg soup. Surprised the veg help up and not mealy. DH did put the perfect rectangle delicata squash 'rind' on the edge of his plate thinking it was a wax paper wrapper. (the skin is edible). I usually freeze that type of soup for a later puree...but it had chicken. Cornbread and boule croutons.

More important, (Annie ? ), are the Kerr and other ball jar wide mouth lids interchangeable?. I did source a really great jar for the 'pickle party' but a wide mouth pint is ultimately more useful. (They fit my spice rack.)

Nothing worse than having special lids for different jars. Like my glass AnchorHocking bowls and the other brand that are not interchangeable. Grr

I really wanted something wide mouth and more squat for serving but I don't need a full case of 36. I'm doing this salad bar style.

Save    
Jasdip

I did a chicken breast and quinoa last night. The quinoa had chopped walnuts, chopped lovage and a dressing of maple syrup, mustard and oil. It was very good, but the walnuts didn't really add anything. But those, or dried currants, etc would work as well.

1 Like Save    

SousVide 'cheap cut' steak salad.

1 Like Save    

Still testing grains/beans/pickles/nuts/seeds. Roasted red beet with the hijiki is a winner. (needs carrot)...and more ginger.

DH could not be happier with all the tastings/testings. : )

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, the lids for wide mouth jars are usually interchangeable. Some commercial containers used to be compatible with the canning lids, like the squatty pints that marshmallow cream came in, or wide mouthed mayo jars, but newer modern containers are normally a different size.

Yes, I can see how your DH would be happy with all those tastings, what a terrible job. (grin) The steak looks perfect, BTW.

I'm also growing some different radishes. My garden has had a problem with root maggots, so I filled a plastic kids pool full of nicely composted cow manure and potting soil and planted watermelon radishes, something called China Rose, which is all pink, and a Chinese Shawo Fruit radish, which is supposed to have the flavor and texture resembling a pear. We'll see how those do, but they're all up and growing, so that's a good sign, I think.

Jasdip, the quinoa sounds really good, but I do love nearly anything with maple syrup!

I've been trying to post a picture here, but either my internet provider or my computer is not being cooperative. I'll try again. As I noted above, I baked my Mother some molasses cookies for Mother's Day:

Here are some recent meals, in no particular order. Curried lentils, rosted asparagus, fresh corn and a salad with peas and peanuts:

"Pizza", made with a broccoli and kale crust, with chicken sausage, onions and peppers, and leftover pea salad. And yes, that pizza crust tastes just exactly like it sounds. Ahem.

I had visitors for Mother's Day, and they celebrated with brownies, which had strawberry frosting, Superman ice cream and whipped cream. Yeah. Madison had chocolate "bugs" on top of hers because there wasn't quite enough sugar...

Some homemade bratwurst with baked beans, the last of that pea salad and more roasted asparagus. The asparagus patch is just growing like crazy, I'm picking every day and we aren't tired of eating it yet. I've put some in the freezer and canned a batch of asparagus pickles today.

Chicken korma with the dreaded cauliflower rice, and a vegetable medley composed of a fresh zucchini, a red pepper that needed to be used, leftover corn and some shishito peppers languishing in the crisper drawer. I seasoned that with some Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute and some Penzey's Roasted Garlic powder. It was actually really good...

OK, I have more pictures that are not yet on the computer, but for now, I'm caught up!

Annie

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Molasses cookies, hubby has mentioned them as a childhood sweet and I was looking for some recipes for him but didn't get a chance to make them. He would be the only one eating them though! They sound very similar to gingerbread, are they Annie?

Today was very warm and humid, so I made potato salad. My favourite version using olive oil, grainy mustard and red wine vinegar and minced herbs (lovage).

Pork tenderloin in a garlic, lemon, wine and cream sauce

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, they are very much like gingerbread, which I also like very much, but these are chewy and not crisp. It was my Grandmother's recipe, which is why I made them for Mother, her own Mother used to make them for her when she was a child. Grandma lived with us when I was a child, and she's the one that taught me to cook, so I have many of her old recipes. Very appropriate for Mother's Day, I thought.

Annie

2 Likes Save    
petalique

Your meals, salads, pickles and deserts look so delicious, everyone.

Annie — congratulations to you and Ellery. What a wonderful story! Those kids look like very cool characters and it’s great that they love cooking with you.

Got a recipe for that marinated cole slaw? I love coleslaw, but haven’t had luck making any that tastes interesting.

My grandmother used to make large batches of rolled out, then cut out molasses cookies. “Soft Molasses Cookies.” She used a large wooden board (pine, I believe) that had “bread board” ends and a lip on one end. Maybe this was to help keep the rolling pin from falling off? Those cookies were wonderful with a tall glass of cold milk. (But what cookie isn’t?)

My DH has made some good dinners lately (or jointly with me.)

I added even more fresh basil.

I made this pork loin roast. Garlic slivers embedded in top and sides, then sage and a bit of thyme, salt and pepper. I no longer eat the seasoned fat.

Below: hash patties. Ground, defatted pot roast, carrot, potato and fresh onion. I slather mine with ketchup. Turns out that at the same time, a neighbor friend was making pretty much the same meal. I think the weather informs us, or triggers some powerful childhood memories of tasty meals.

I never tire of tomato-basil-mozzarella pizza. I added a few black olives to this one.

Fresh Vietnamese / Thai Shrimp Rolls

(I need to work on my technique — these don’t stay together well enough to eat them as finger food. Any tips. I probably insist on putting too much in them: rice noodles, shredded carrot, shreadded greens, Thai basil, green onion, cilantro, mint, shrimp.

1 Like Save    

Your rolls look great!. All the right flavors...mint, basil...

Look for thin bean thread noodles. Often call glass noodles being clear. Stickier and prepped ahead with an Asian dressing, absorbing the flavors, they are easy to work with. Also try 'double-wide'. Overlapping two wrappers. Cucumber as thin as possible, shrimp often sliced into thirds. Thick veg is hard to roll.

I just stocked up with three packages so lots of rolls in my Spring/summer future.

Since you like Asian flavors, try an Asian slaw. Found this on pretty quick, linky, HERE

Very custom to what you like. Personally I like veg minced fine, with the cabbage being the main star. Sure green onion, parsley/cilantro chunky and sliced. And always fresh not grocery bagged cabbage mix. Similar dressing to use in your spring rolls, noodle marinade...

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Wow, your meals look terrific Petalique!!!!

Yesterday was hot and humid, today is below normal temps. Windy and cold.

So.......a good day for roast beef. Well done, with carrots, mashed potatoes (with leftover cooked yam mashed in).

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, we also had 77F temps on Saturday, cold rain on Sunday and even colder today and still raining. We keep getting frost warnings so I haven't even put my garden in yet. Yesterday was our local "Blessing of the Bikes" and I felt really badly for the ones who were riding home today. It's the 47th year for the Blessing, and the proceeds go to assist local veterans, and yesterday was the first year it ever got rained on. https://www.9and10news.com/2019/05/19/47th-annual-blessing-of-the-bikes-in-baldwin-draws-800-riders-in-pouring-rain/

that beef looks like the perfect meal for this kind of weather and as always, those mashed potatoes just look delicious.

Petalique, I have some rice paper wrappers that I should be using, your spring rolls looks really fresh and good.

This is the "basic" recipe I use for that marinated slaw. I add ingredients depending on what I'm eating it with. I like to add a big spoonful of grated horseradish if it's fish tacos, or sliced scallions and some radishes for beef and/or pork, I've even added in wasabi powder, so it's pretty versatile. I like to add some celery seed with or instead of the mustard seed too.

Marinated Cabbage Slaw

8 cups shredded cabbage

2 tablespoons chopped pimientos

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

3/4 cup chopped onion

1 cup sugar

1 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup water

1 tbls. mustard seed

Combine vegetables in a large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened. (I find it doesn't usually take this long, maybe 15 minutes, but my cooktop doesn't ever go low enough to simmer!)

Pour dressing over vegetables, toss to coat, cover and refrigerator 4 hours or overnight.

Annie

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Jasdip, do you have a recipe or proportions for the sauce for the pork tenderloin? It sounds tasty and pork tenderloin is a favorite here.

Save    
Compumom11

I made a new recipe for Shepherd's Pie tonight. It's dairy free and pretty darn good. Remember I can't have onions, garlic and I avoid gluten and dairy. This recipe was creamy (due to the pumpkin puree) and a fun change from my boring repertoire. DH would have liked it more minus the celery and with a bit more pizazz, however the freshly grated horseradish was a tasty addition.

https://healingfamilyeats.com/quick-shepherds-pie-with-golden-horseradish-mash-aip/

Save    
neely

Compumom11 your shepherds pie sounds delicious and thanks for that recipe. Sleevendog, cooking up a storm as usual and what delicious meals shown by petalique. Jasdip your dinners looks great and something we would eat in a minute. Fabulous food Annie, and you made that bratwurst...amazing.

We are all over the place at the moment.

Anyway, cooked a boneless pork leg with all the accompaniments for No3 sons’ birthday.

Perhaps a little drier than your juicy loin of pork petalique. My garlic was roasted with the skin on cloves, one for me but several for the others.

A late lunch early dinner was just a slice of spinach quiche I had in the freezer.

And again, an open hamburger, perhaps you could call this a patty melt.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Lizbeth, the original recipe called for pork chops and browning them in the oven. I used pork tenderloin and did everything in the cast iron skillet. I used half and half instead of heavy cream, as well.

Here is the recipe:

Creamy Lemon Thyme Pork Chops (lifemadesimplebakes.com) blog

• 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
  • 3/4 tsp pepper, divided
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp parsley (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 4 pork chops bone-in or boneless
  • 5 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/3 c white wine or chicken broth
  • 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme
  • 3/4 c heavy cream

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a glass dish, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, garlic powder, paprika, parsley, and cayenne. Dredge pork chops in mixture, remove any excess.
  2. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt. Brown pork chops well on both sides, about 4-6 minutes per side.
  3. Remove from pan and transfer to a lined baking sheet. Place in the oven to bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes (or until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees).
  4. Using the same skillet, set over medium heat. Add the wine, and whisk, scraping up any browned bits. Allow to reduce by half.
  5. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and thyme, whisk to combine. Add the heavy cream and remaining butter. Bring to a gentle simmer, and cook until slightly thickened.
  6. Return the pork chops to the pan, allow to cook for 5 minutes, spooning the sauce over top. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with remaining sauce.
1 Like Save    
petalique

Ah, finally back here. and I see many more good plates.

Jasdip, thanks.

Annie, thanks for that cole slaw recipe. I hope to try it soon. Yummy looking. And, yes, play with your rice round wrappers — you can practice with me trying the tips that sleevendog provided. I love those things. I tend to make them too wet (I guess), pack too much in and get “flavor greedy” — wanting everything but the kitchen sink. But, as you know, they can be made smaller, or the same size with just a few rice noodles and greens. There’s a couple of places in Cambridge (Massachusetts) that make only the bahn noodles with shredded greens, served with a peanut (peanut and Hoisin?) sauce. Still delicious, even though no cilantro, anise basil, green onion, protein or mint.

sleevendog — thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions. Maybe I’ll try the double wide “wide load”, lol sometime.

Thanks for the link to the Asian slaw. I love all of this sort of think, but the one you sent link to is different, so I’ll give that a try. The black sesame seeds give it a pop. I have a recipe (modified from web) for a cellophane noodle salad (Viet/Thai dressing), but I add a few shrimp and other things and take it to pot lucks in a glass bowl. I think the recipe is in a fat three ring binder.

Glass noodles/cellophane noodles for the summer rolls would be a good option. I can’t recall if I tried them in a roll. A Thai place in Maine makes fresh rolls that way: cellophane noodles, finely shredded lettuce or greens, finely shredded carrot. No herbs. No shrimp. Little container of simple sweet chili dipping sauce and packet of crushed dry roasted peanuts. Small rolls, short and thin. I think 4 for $6.75. See why I have to make my own when I can?

I like to view the shrimp (or Thai basil leaf) through the translucent rice paper, so I slice the cooked shrimp in half lengthwise. (I cook them/pan fry) in the shell as it adds to the shrimp flavor. I can use the bit of shrimp flavored oil and pan-fried shells for stock.

I usually shred the peeled carrots with one of those hand-held julienne gadgets that look like a wishbone vegetable peeler. I have a bunch of them.

They roll up better is the noodles are drained and sticky, and, indeed, as you suggested, better thinly sliced or shredded vegetalbles and other things. Cucumber! Good idea! Now I’ll have to start using that. I’ve made some with thinly sliced, pan-fried pork shreds and that works.

On what do you roll yours? I’ve played around for a few years and it seems that I have the best luck if I put the rice rounds on a woven cotton towel. Got to have them not too wet, nor too dry.

I have to find my simple peanut dipping sauce. Unless someone here has a link handy.

Thanks, again, everyone. You folks are amazing with your creative productivity.

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Thanks, Jasdip! It sounds as good as it looks.

Save    

Lovely trip to the farm. 30ft rhubarb row I planted from the 3 big mother plants finally took off this year. Harvested 10 3-4 lb. bunches. (and cut back the flower stalks)

Beautiful viburnum and lilacs in bloom.

Save    

A favorite farm market on the way has the best produce. Cut the chokes in half, then on rhubarb planks, wrapped tight in parchment then foil...onto the grill. Excellent corn, sausage, bean salad. Rhubarb bbq sauce for the next day smoked chicken.

Save    

DH made focaccia the night before we left. One breakfast with pate and cheeses, one with scrapple.

Save    

Came home as planned. My heart stopped seeing 20lbs of salmon by the door. It was packed so well it was frozen solid, phew. (expected it this up-coming Friday.)

Starving, I made two quick salads. A winter red wheat and lentil. A pearled couscous. And seared salmon. Thought I over-cooked seeing white but perfectly rare with crispy skin. Cast iron. Miso glaze. Way too much food. Making Poke tonight.

I keep adding fresh veg/cucumber/red onion to my pickle brine.

Save    
annie1992

Petalique, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has trouble with rice paper wrappers, they just seem to disintegrate or else are too dry to roll and they crack. It'll be nice to have someone to practice with!

Neely, everything looks good, but that birthday dinner looks....well....celebratory! Happy Birthday to your DS.

Jasdip, I'm always looking for a new way to cook pork chops, thanks for that recipe!

Compumom, I like the idea of adding the horseradish, that would sure "amp it up". I can't seem to remember anything, but I'll try to remember that the next time I make a shepherd's pie, it would be a nice change.

Sleevendog, everything is just....wow. I also cut the seed heads from the rhubarb, and I pulled 9 quart bags full, washed/sliced and in the freezer. I'm glad your salmon escaped unscathed too!

Here we've been busy planting the garden. 84 tomato plants, 12 eggplants, 37 pepper plants, a couple of tomatillos and the only plants I have left o get into the ground are the cabbages. We also planted seeds, and now it's raining, so that's perfect, things will sprout. Elery's son, DIL and their three kids were here Friday and Saturday and Elery smoked a pork shoulder in the smoker, while I roasted asparagus. I made some triple chip cookies and made buns for the pork, and with ice cream, the kids were happy. Today I warmed up the rest of the pork for Amanda and Dave, The Princess and her Brother were helping me plant the garden so I had to feed them, we finished off the third of the three garden spaces, so they deserved it! They made "sandwiches" with the cookies and the rest of the ice cream. I didn't take any pictures, but it was good.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

I took a pound of hamburger out of the freezer a couple of days ago. I formed 2 burgers with half, and made Taco Salad for tonight's dinner. (I also posted it on the cast iron group, which is why the skillet is prominently shown.)

Save    

Cast iron...the reliable workhorses in my kitchen. Looks yummy and hearty.

We have been casual/snack-y dealing with last weekends rhubarb harvest and stock making from the roast/smoked chickens.

Made a dozen rhubarb/ginger/lime juices...most into the freezer. Rhubarb quick pickles!...making another batch tomorrow and some will go in a slaw.

All about weekend prep. Soaked grain and seed last night. All on the stove now in rotation. Fresh pickle prep tomorrow night.

Save    
Jasdip

Sleevendog, there's a thread about Keto recipes over at the Table, and someone mentioned that they make taco salad for a keto meal. Hah! I ate keto and didn't know it! Well almost, I put taco shells on it.

Wonderful, hearty, healthy meals as usual Annie! You feed your "work crew" well!!

Save    
neely

Wow your vegetable garden sounds amazing Annie and this year I’m more envious than ever as I now only have room for about half a dozen tomato plants and a few lettuces. Oh well such is life.

Your pickles are amazing Sleevendog and your food looks so good, so fresh and nutritious. Jasdip, we must be on a similar wave length as not only do our meals look alike, but as you will see, I also made the most of fresh mince for two meals.

First dinner was pasta and meat balls.

With the left over mince then next night I added to it sausage mince, grated onion, grated carrot, breadcrumbs, eggs, herbs and with Compumoms11 shepherds pie in mind I added creamed horseradish ... to make meat loaf. A plain meal but tasty.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Neely, your pasta looks so good and colourful!!!

I tried another new recipe last night, chicken marinated in a pineapple juice/soy sauce/hot asian chile sauce/brown sugar, etc.

The recipe calls for grilling the chicken, but since I don't barbecue, I roasted it in the oven at 400°F. The marinade is simmered and put on as a glaze. The recipe is in my keeper binder to be made again.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Yum, Jasdip, that chicken looks delicious. I don't grill either, I like grilled food but not enough to go through the steps required to produce it!

Neely, I also often make two meals from a pound of ground beef. When only two people are eating, a pound is just too much, although we do get the "assistance" of our fat dog!

sleevendog, I just did a big picking of rhubarb and it's already coming back, it apparently likes the weather this year. Elery just tasted it raw for the first time and was not impressed (grin), but he might like a juice type drink, I'll have to try that. And I still need to make more of your pickled mustard seed, we use that quickly.

Here, we're eating. I made a nice sirloin tip roast, high heat roasted thanks to Ann T's suggestion of Barbara Kafka's book "Roasting". Sliced thinly on the slicer it was nice and rare and tender enough. I have leftovers for future use, I haven't decided what yet, and I made cabbage to go with it, as well as squash from the freezer.

Another night was fresh asparagus from the garden, along with BBQ'd chicken thighs made in the oven (see, jasdip, definitely not grilled, LOL) and the rest of that squash:

My nephew Xander shot a wild turkey and dropped it off, so Elery brined one half of the breast and roasted it. The flavor was good, but it was very tough and stringy and slightly dry. The other half of the breast is mine to prepare, I think I'm going with a long brining, then a low and slow cooking, see if I can tenderize it a little bit. We had rutabaga on the side:

A venison and broccoli stir fry with sliced golden beets:

The huntsman:

And I think that's all I have pictures of. Amanda and Dave came with the kids for dinner yesterday and I made baked steak with mushrooms, roasted potatoes, baked beans, whole wheat rolls, green beans and sauteed cabbage, ice cream for dessert, but I have no pictures to prove any of that!

Annie

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Oh wow, your sirloin tip roast looks perfect, Annie. I have Molly Stevens Roasting cookbook, I'll have to see if she has a similar recipe.

That's one big wild turkey!!!

You mentioned Elery wanting to try some rhubarb juice. Remember the rhubarb muffin recipe I posted that requires extracting the juice from the rhubarb? (adding sugar and letting it drain overnight). A friend of mine drinks that juice, with or without alcohol. :-)

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Jasdip, would you share the recipe for the chicken marinade? It looks good and I am needing to use chicken legs and thighs from my freezer.

Save    
Jasdip

Lizbeth, here is the marinade itself...

• ½ cup unsweetened pineapple or passion fruit juice

• 1/3 cup soy sauce

• 1/4 cup brown sugar

• 2 tablespoons honey (optional)

• 1 teaspoon sriracha , adjust to taste

• 1/4 cup ketchup

• ½ tablespoon fresh grated ginger

• 1 teaspoon cumin spice

• 1/2 -1 lemon juice

• 1 tablespoon minced garlic

• ¼ cup chicken broth

• And if you want the whole recipe, it's here

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Jasdip, Thank You! I seem to connect with your recipes. I have used your spice rub several times for ribs and is now my "go to".

Save    
Jasdip

Lizbeth, that's great to hear!!! I use the spice mix on fried potatoes, eggs, pork chops hamburger for tacos, etc etc. It's my go-to 'everything' spice. And yes, rub for ribs!

I've noticed you asking for my recipes! :-D

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Jasdip, Good to know about the other ways you use the rub. Will give it a try. Thanks!

Save    
neely

More good food there Annie. Yes that glaze sounds yummy Jasdip and the recipe doesn’t contain ingredients that I don’t store. We eat canned pineapple quite a lot so next time I’ll save some juice for this recipe.

We had our often cooked by DH beef curry, rice, beans and poppadoms.

Save    
Jasdip

Delicious meal, Neely!! I always save and freeze the pineapple juice to use in sauces like this.

Save    

I'd like to ring the necks of my wild turkeys. They are everywhere and can get a bit aggressive. They like to fly up onto my roof and peek down into the skylights. Pups go nuts. Never cooked one. Someone in your family has a SousVide I think? Might be a nice way to cook it.

I always taste a slice of rhubarb but no, it is way too tart. I would not bite into a slice of lemon either. I did make rhubarb quick pickles and amazing how it changed in just a few hours. I made a dozen bottles of juice and froze but probably make much more as we go through it. I slice, cook it until soft, mesh strainer over my back-up Chemex. I used a little honey and ginger. (maple syrup stash this year is too precious).

Asparagus has not been good this year. Artichoke are the best I've ever had.

Perfecting Salmon. Cast iron sear, butter/avocado oil. Miso glaze, no flipping no oven or broiler. Skin side down and crispy.

Chicken, ribs, shrimp wrapped scallops, skillet cornbread, (rhubarb, green onion, jalapeño, manchego.)

Save    
Jasdip

Wow, I can't imagine having a wild turkey looking at me through a sky-light, Sleevendog!! Your poor dogs!!!!

What don't you like about the asparagus this year? Ours (Ontario) is in stores now, and I'm going to buy some. I hope it's good.

Save    
Jasdip

Something so simple, tastes so darned good. I had it with rice on the side.

Save    

Looks great. Nothing like a quick cast iron sear.

Asparagus has been 'woody'. Maybe the weather. Usually excellent especially the first from NJ. They snapped very close to the heads. I always taste one raw and the tip was as always. Should be better next week with the weather settling into more normal temps and less thunderstorms. My deck garden will get watered for the first time tomorrow. Dwarf project tomatoes are hitting the 3 ft mark and fruiting. Finally drying out a bit.

Save    
neely

Perfect salmon indeed Sleevendog. Must use my cast iron pan more often Jasdip.

Simple spaghetti dinner. DH cooked and cooked corn to have as well.

Save    
Jasdip

This is a slow-cooker recipe but it doesn't have to be. It's making meatballs, then slow-cooking for a couple of hours in a spicy sauce.

I took my home-made meatballs from the freezer and did them in the slow-cooker, but simmering in a pot would accomplish the same thing :-)

The sauce is equal amounts (1/4 cup for example) of hot sauce, brown sugar, honey, apricot jam then a tbsp of soy sauce and cornstarch. You may, of course adjust the heat to your tastes..........Annie! ;-))

Save    
annie1992

Holy smokes indeed, Jasdip, I would definitely have to reduce the hot sauce, I'm such a wuss, but Elery would love it, LOL. It still looks good and so does the chicken marinade AND the sausage and vegetables. How can I be hungry at midnight? Sheesh...

sleevendog, the turkeys here went from non-existent to a scourge. They're everywhere. I hit one with the Jeep. They ripped away the netting somehow and ate all the corn I was growing to grind. They strut right across my lawn, look in my windows and drive my poor dog nuts too. Ugh. I wish they tasted as good as salmon, which looks delicious, but oh, those shrimp wrapped scallops. Yum.

Neely, I've been craving carbs, and that spaghetti looks good, but the rice really calls to me. I could have it with Jasdip's meatballs and sleevendog's scallops as an appetizer. Yeah, that's the ticket....

Here, we've been eating, but we've been so busy that many times it's eggs or leftovers pulled from the freezer. Yesterday I baked a ham because Dave and Amanda came over, and made a pot of beans for Elery, and had asparagus from the backyard as a side. Thankfully, mine has been tender and delicious. Oh, and warm beer bread for the kids and roasted carrots because I had the oven on.

Lately we've had that "Eggroll in a bowl", with leftover black bean and corn salad and Elery added some leftover apricot chicken on low carb tortillas, an odd mish-mash of items. This was his plate:

I baked AnnT's blueberry pound cake muffins for the Township clean-up. I miss her and her beautiful pictures, and I have to go to her blog now to get her recipes. (sigh) I'm still trying to figure out why she was barred.

I think that's all I have pictures of, although we did have T=bone steaks one night, and sloppy joes another day when the kids were over. I also canned some pickled asparagus. Yes, Jasdip, that's a Carolina Reaper in that jar. It's Elery's, of course.

Annie

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Annie, I didn't realize AnnT had been banned. I just thought she was busy with Mo and not posting.

SOOO disappointing!

I learned from her, appreciated her recipes and so enjoyed her wonderful food photos. I do go to her blog, but will miss her contributions to the cooking forum. Is banning permanent?

Save    
annie1992

Permanent? I don't know, I hope not. She signed in under a couple of other names, but was immediately "outed" to Houzz by someone snitching on her, so they kicked her off whenever someone reported that she was posting.

Annie

Save    
neely

Oh that’s so awful about AnnT. I saw she popped up under another name and wondered why she wasn’t ongoing under that name. So mean. To think some one bothers trolling someone to that extent. A worry. “They” must check our posts here to keep an eye out for her. Horrid.

I miss her. She had a huge impact on my cooking confidence and love of taking photos. I guess in the spirit of Annt’s wonderful meals, we should press on.

We had veal cutlets for dinner, done Saltimbocca style, that is with a sauce that contained sage, white wine and a little cream. Was quite tasty.

Save    

I can only speculate that Ann has an angry unsavory stalker. A bit creepy that someone is probably lurking here to check if she is using another name. Similar with the 'kitchens' forum when someone was banned not long ago. Also deeply missed but I do not visit there that often so I know no details of either possible disagreements. Unfortunate/unacceptable censorship.

She can possibly still check in and if so , "Hi Ann!". Egullet has a what's for breakfast, lunch, dinner. You can view all posts and pics without joining. Link, HERE

So thankful she has her blog.

Save    
Jasdip

I honestly never think of going to her blog, and I really miss her posting here. It's more conversational/comradely and more of a friendship here than reading a blog. We all know a little something of each other's life here, and we feel somewhat involved.

Banning I don't agree with. I can't think of anything that would get someone so upset by something she would say to warrant that.

I assume it was something over on Hot Topics, as it can get heated. I went over there once or twice and quickly hustled back out. That's not for me. But why would she be the only one banned? And to have a tattle-tale?? My God how immature.

Save    

So jealous of the gorgeous asparagus. It grows so well here but I keep loosing mine to some unknown critter. Even fenced.

Spending weekends in the Catskills. Population is 953. Not even a gas station. "so peaceful you can hear a bird fart"...a friend of mine says.

Our water is from a spring, gravity fed, but our filter was clogged from all the rain...and probably crawfish that happens from time-to-time. (drinking water is a carboy we bring from the city). Amazing how much we take for granted our water resources. Got it running by the time we left.

Made our favorite braised then grilled/smoked Korean bbq'd boneless/skinless chicken thighs. (4th of July test). Made 18 so then made chicken salad, froze 4 packets for soup and tacos, and made chicken stuffed poblanos with black beans/mixed grain/queso/tomatillo salsa.

Save    

It's the season for salmon-shrimp-scallops, then steak, chicken, and lots of salad....have not had pasta in ages. Used the roasted tomatillo sauce, sun-dried toms, olives, goat cheese, romano.

Save    

"Banning I don't agree with. I can't think of anything that would get someone so upset by something she would say to warrant that."

I so agree. Nice to see Mo is eating well. Not sure who is the 'axe' moderator these days but certainly making mistakes.

Save    

Busy with garden and anniversary and DH's birthday. Very veggie frittata Sunday morning then rare steak-n-patatta.

Save    
catticusmockingbird

I assume it was something over on Hot Topics, as it can get heated. I went over there once or twice and quickly hustled back out. That's not for me. But why would she be the only one banned? And to have a tattle-tale?? My God how immature.

It's not just Ann. A lot of people are targeted unfairly on HT. The people who should be banned continue to get away with the most despicable things. Contacting moderators does no good.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Decorating Guides What to Know About Switching to LED Lightbulbs
If you’ve been thinking about changing over to LEDs but aren't sure how to do it and which to buy, this story is for you
Full Story
Houzz TV Houzz Tour: Going Off the Grid in 140 Square Feet
WIth $40,000 and a vision of living more simply, a California designer builds her ‘forever’ home — a tiny house on wheels
Full Story
Kitchen Sinks How to Choose the Right Kitchen Sink
Learn about basin configurations, sink shapes, materials and even accessories and specialty sinks
Full Story
Data Watch Houzz Survey: See the Latest Benchmarks on Remodeling Costs and More
The annual Houzz & Home survey reveals what you can expect to pay for a renovation project and how long it may take
Full Story
Most Popular Pro Chefs Dish on Kitchens: Michael Symon Shares His Tastes
What does an Iron Chef go for in kitchen layout, appliances and lighting? Find out here
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Outfit Your Home in Fab Fashion Designer Accents
You don their clothes to look chic. Now your home can have its turn, with decor from some of the world's greatest fashion houses
Full Story
We are a general contracting firm that specializes in doing high quality work at honest prices, which allows our... Read More