SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
collectorguru

Yikes, Let's Re-Decorate the Dining Room

Design2 girl
4 years ago

This is the new (old) dining room that needs a face lift! The floors are going to be refinished and our inclination is to stain the inlaid wood the same as the rest of the flooring, so effectively, removing this darker banding (which dates it, IMO) but the inlaid wood pieces will remain in this existing pattern, floors will be a medium brown, not as dark as the banding appears but maybe with a bit more depth than the overall color here. The walls, ceiling, trim and the columns will all be painted white, (color to be matched to the shutters that will remain. Give us some good ideas to jazz up this space, wallpaper suggestions welcome, paint selections needed, chandelier may need to remain and lowered of course, but would love lighting suggestions as well. What would you do with the tray ceiling in here?

This is the china cabinet that will go on the long wall adjacent to the windows, so fairly traditional with antique chippendale chairs with black leather seats. Liking blues/greens but want something in here that has some WOW factor as it is first thing you see as you enter the front door. Thanks if you made it this far!

Comments (1.3K)

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Now, I am looking at the width on that top shelf, I don't even think that is wide enough to do a lamp, do you? But, I love the anchor mounting accessory kit, that is handy and right up their alley. I'll show her that too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

A buffet lamp would work. A pair would work well butted together.

• Related Discussions

Memorial Day Dining Room Decorated w/Christmas Decor

Q

Comments (11)
    Jane, so glad you are giving your foot time to heal before your next surgery. It would be awful to not have at least one good one. I had foot surgery on my right foot 12 years ago and couldn't drive for 2 months. It was a year before I could do a full run and feel comfortable. I couldn't even ride a bike for a few months.LOL DD's BDay is Jan. 14th so that's what gets me out shopping after Christmas. It's always so cold but she's so special I have to! DGD's BDay is coming soon and she wants her party here again. May get to use some of my neat dishes again.Yeah DS came down today but didn't get to see DGD. We did alot of cleaning and yard work so that worked out good. Didnd't make it to the cemetary till late this afternoon because we were so busy. We will have all the family home over the 4th so have alot to do around here to get ready. I always tease my family they come and visit to keep me on top of things. Jeanne, the small star candle holders are from Dollar Plus. The lg center one is crystal and I picked up the other two at ys. Your the reason I always light my tables. Thanks for the comments on the flowers. They look better in RL but I didn't want to go take any more pictures. I need you here to help in that dept.haha I have a bush in one of my gardens that reminds me of your honeysuckle but it's blooms are pink. I'll have to take a picture and see if you know what it is one day. Luvs, always great to hear from you. Hope you are hanging in there and finding some time for you. Will keep you in my T & P. Thanks so much Jane, Jeanne and Luvs for all your sweet comments. Punk
    ...See More

For selling, should I re-paint my red dining room/kitchen?

Q

Comments (36)
    When you get new paint mixed, it is more likely to be slightly different and when you add years of exposure and aging on top of that, you are likely to get some variation. Give it some more time -- even thought paint dries to the touch in minutes, it isn't completely dry for a lot longer. Also get away from it and see if you still see it -- or better yet, have someone else see if their eyes are drawn to any of the touch ups. Clean the wall where ever possible instead of using paint. Then see what you can do to help the places that need paint. If you have a cooperative paint person at your Lowe's, you might be able to get them to help you tweak the paint a bit. You might be able to get a sample pot of a darker shade that you could mix in. I have also been known -- well, not known, but I have done it -- get out my other cans of paint or even craft paint -- those 99 cent little bottles, and mix until I get what I need. Work with small amounts if that is all you need - take a cup or jar and mix a small amount -- working with dots of the tint paints until you get the hang of it. Test on index cards or posterboard, a plain white paper plate. I haven't done it often, but it has pulled me out of a couple of cracks. Also, use a small craft brush and only fill in what is essential. Another trick I use when touching up is to feather the paint out. sometimes adding a little water or using a wet brush to thin the paint as it goes over the existing paint. That is more likely to work on your living room paint (lighter color) than the red, but I've never tried it on a strong color. On the red, I'd be inclined to put the photos back up if the nicks don't show - change out the pictures in the frames if you are happier with that. Even if you repaint, there will be new spots that need retouching when you move your things out. I've bought two homes thinking I wouldn't have to paint most of the rooms only to move in and need to paint everything. Worst case, if you feel you need to paint the LR, get the color as close as you can and let the break of the white and wood stairs provide the break you need to stop. And if you do repaint anything, leave them the leftover paint for their move-in touch ups.
    ...See More

How to decorate a dining room when you don't want a dining room

Q

Comments (19)
    I love having a dedicated INformal dining room! Yes, it's 'The Dining Room,' but it's not formal. Long farm table, comfortable chairs, warm lighting, flooring and surfaces that won't get damaged by kids or spills. A really warm and welcoming place to eat meals as a family or with friends. The 'breakfast nook' has just never been my favorite. Even when the space is nice, the furniture is rarely of a caliber that brings joy to the users... I'd replace that with two comfortable wingback chairs and a tall side table -- the kind of place you could have a cup of coffee and read the paper, or sit with a glass of wine while your spouse makes dinner or cleans the kitchen. The other great use for a 'breakfast nook' IMO is as a kids' homework area or auxiliary baking table. Another great use for an unused dining room is (if you can close it off) as a TV room. Get the TV out of your family room and reclaim that space as a family gathering area without the constant racket of a TV.
    ...See More

the taxes are done...let’s start on the dining room!

Q

Comments (70)
    I owe you all an apology for seeming to disappear, and an update. I returned home from babysitting and my husband got the flu (in spite of having had the shot). He NEVER gets sick (3 times in 45 years?) so I paid attention. He recovered, and then I’ve had it. On the mend. But one of my very best friends (30 years) received a devastating medical diagnosis this past week. I can’t quite manage to gather the oomph to work on finding a different painting for the dining room right now, and that needs to happen before I order the lighting. I’ll be back, and thank you all so much for the help you’ve already given, and that you’ll help again once “life” gets more normal.
    ...See More
  • Design2 girl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

do you mean 2 of these console tables? like ~ 120" long putting 2 together? Or, do you mean 2 skinny buffet lamps butted together? that top shelf is probably less than 6" deep, that makes me a little nervous. The overall depth is 13", and that top one is smaller for sure.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

D2G,

Here is a link to my reveal. I think it shows off the Bette chandelier to advantage. I thought that you would like to see it.

Reveal

Design2 girl thanked homechef59
  • niccidhg
    3 years ago

Home chef, your reveal is exquisite. Everything is just stunningly gorgeous. Great job ! ——D2G, how are things in your and your family’s world ? I hope you are all well.

• Molly
    3 years ago

Beautiful ❤️

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well hello, fellow shut ins....hope you are all are well and staying healthy during these crazy days! To say that life has changed is putting it mildly, but I pray you are all busy, healthy and not totally stir crazy!

If I had known our trip to Breckenridge was our last vacation, I would have had more fun! But, for us, when we returned home on March 9, we have basically been self isolating and "hunkered down" which has given us a lot of time to complete small projects along the way.

My first priority was "Cleaning Out the Infamous Bonus Room" And creating a playroom for the grands to come and have space for toys and free play without worrying about anything! And we were able to accomplish that in about 3-4 weeks time. So, whew, what a relief. We moved furniture, and sold furniture, and donated furniture, and repurposed furniture and of course, stored more furniture, but we now have a great playroom upstairs and the kiddos are able to enjoy art, toys and a vintage train table, so our efforts were very worth it. Its not really picture worthy, but I did walk down memory lane and find some great treasures along the way.

And here is where we are with Emily's living room, its always interesting to see if the end is like the beginning idea, and while the rug is not at all like I envisioned, and proved to be the hardest thing to find, this one will work for now as it is durable and can handle the kids, dog and young parent life. And, to be honest, we just ran out of steam.

Because the truth of the matter is this...if a Pandemic won't get ya...try a Tornado on Easter Sunday....it flattened my son in law's office in Chattanooga, TN. and that has proved to be incredibly stressful. So, if you have moment, please pray for patience, fortitude, and mercy for lots of families that have been devastated during this Pandemic.

So, today, I looked around and thought, yep, we are ready to tackle some art on the walls.

I included this view because it shows the abstract she put over the mantel. Ignore the small frames on the mantel, those are birthday invitations that won't be staying there.

(7) Mimi Tucker · More Info

97083797_1130113827358419_476687455131533312_n.jpg (960×720) · More Info

The bergere chairs are in the french linen stripe with the navy velvet on the bottom and we placed them here for the first time today to get some feedback. And lets see what you ladies think will work on either side of the apothecary chest here, I am thinking 2 verticals on each side, but interested in your thoughts.

(8) Mimi Tucker · More Info

And here is the difficult wall. We need a large piece or grouping over this sofa. For now, she is not using a glass/gold sofa table, the kids are just not safe with that option. Since she pulled in the ottoman with the bergere chair, she is not planning to do a second ottoman. Still considering a cocktail table. But, again, kids. Considering changing the lamps...and lets here what else you think needs to happen in this view. Another pillow perhaps, she wants some more green on the sofa.

97994321_1130119624024506_8725702506841112576_n.jpg (960×720) · More Info

Here's a Ballard piece of art we liked, but not sure this is going to work in there with the large abstract over the mantel.

Heres a group of river prints that are nice and have some green, they live close to the River and love the water, so that fits.

Garden Plan geometric art prints, thought about stacking 2 of these on either side of the TV.

Any other suggestions appreciated and welcomed.

These are crazy times and I hope all of you houzzers are well and safe and ready to break outta jail. Take Care if you made it this far!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Doing OK M that sounds good what you posted

Design2 girl thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Good to hear from you and so sorry about all your troubles. Hope your son is OK? I think the Ballards art is lovely and plays well with the abstract over fireplace. Love the Bergere chairs. Not in love with ottoman there. It looks forced. I do think if you use the Ballards art you will need something on each side of it. Candle sconces or something sculptural. I would remove the blue chair near fireplace and use in a bedroom or other spot. Just too much furniture in this room IMO. I will think about things and check back tomorrow. We are doing fine here and getting out a little bit. Things seem to be fine here in terms of this virus. We are well and thanks for asking. Stay well. Praying for all your wellness!

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • lshack17
    3 years ago

I am so sorry about your son's office. So devastating, especially with everything else going on. I love the green geometric art on either side of the TV. I think everything Flo said is spot on. Would you consider finding another place for the ottoman that goes with the Bergere chair and doing a larger ottoman to place in front of the sofa? (The chairs are gorgeous, by the way) Maybe in Kelly green since your daughter wanted to add more? Here's one, just as an example. Definitely child friendly.

Design2 girl thanked lshack17
  • lshack17
    3 years ago

Here's the ottoman, had a hard time posting the picture.

• lshack17
    3 years ago

Nope, won't post. Sorry

• Cece
    3 years ago

No designer here, but just some thoughts..... First off, love the Bergeres with the stripe and, surprisingly, the multi patterned pillows seem to help to balance out the strong rug. The one thing that has seemed off to me since the rug purchase is the abstract art, which seems to be fighting for attention with the rug. It also looks more purple on my monitor but maybe not irl. The green has seemed off (forced) also. Wondering now if the Ballard landscape art over the fireplace would help with both those things, bring in the green as you enter the room and offer some calmness with the strong rug. You could then move the abstract over the sofa (with some sconces or something??). Also, have you tried the blue chairs back where they originally were with one Bergere and maybe ottoman where the single Bergere is now? Obviously you’d need to find another home for one of those beauties. A beautiful room!

Design2 girl thanked Cece
  • amuzyczka
    3 years ago

Following.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

A couple of things.

I know that DD was planning on a console table behind the sofa. Until she finds one, I would move the sofa partially off the rug and against the wall. Then, I would move the velvet chairs closer to the sofa in order to open the fireplace view and provide a better traffic pathway.

Consider removing one of the striped chairs to another room. I like the idea of an odd number. This would make the ottoman less imposing.

I really like the rug. It's a nice compromise between traditional and a more modern vibe. Keeping it two colors helps to tie everything together.

I know everyone loves garden stools, but I am always afraid I will bump into one and break it.

Really glad to hear that everyone is okay.

• Seajay Sparkles
    3 years ago

Just a suggestion

Design2 girl thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Good mock up but sure makes me google-eyed with rug pattern. Idk.

• loobab
    3 years ago

Hi Design2 girl-

Well, on top of COVID19, to have these other natural disasters like hurricanes or tornadoes or earthquakes seems positively biblical!

We just need to be thankful every day that we are are still here and well, and well enough to write on a decorating blog!

Anyway, the number of chairs you need in that room depends on how many people are regularly entertained in that room.

A salient point is, does the room seem crowded or not? I cannot discern that from a photo, I need to actually be in the space to figure that out, so you think about that for yourself.

I do think all the chairs are beautiful, and the ottoman is marvelous, and as a bona fide old so-and-so I sure do like to put my feet up.

I like the rug.

And no one likes criticism about what they have already purchased.

But as you have solicited our advice--

There is too much repetition of the same pattern- in the rug, the throw cushions , the end table lamps, the blue and white garden stool, the ginger jars on the mantle and the floor, and the umbrella stand with the sticks in it.

Even though the pattern is nice, because there is so much of it and nothing else, it screams and becomes overwhelming, and you want to look away.

It also cheapens the effect.

Now, really, I don't know if those ginger jars were purchased at Home Goods or are genuine Ming Dynasty pieces, but with so much of that type of crockery, even as lamps, it does make one think they were all scooped up at a discount store.

I doubt that's the look you and daughter were going for.

The two green cushions seem totally out of place because they don't relate to anything else in the room.

If you want to keep the rug and the ginger jars on the mantel, get rid of the lamps, and the ginger jar on the floor and the blue and white garden stool.

Actually I would get rid of both garden stools, with children they are a disaster waiting to happen and there is no way to child-proof them.

Ultimately I would re-cover the sofa throw cushions as well, but wait until the wall decor is decided on.

I don't think the art piece (and I am being generous in that appellation) over the fireplace belongs there if the ginger jars are going to stay there- it's too much blue in one place.

You don't need to be in a rush to buy art, it should be really special.

I know you love estate sales, so many people are downsizing and going into assisted living these days.

Have your daughter tell you what she is looking for and you can scour the market and send her photos.

The room would be enhanced by something with greens in it.

And a little of a third color, ask her what she likes.

She could have the three colors in a 60-30-10 proportion, for example 60% blue, 30% green and 10% purple or lavender. Or 10% yellow or some pastel of yellow.

Or she could just do blue and green without a third color, that would be okay too.

Does she like landscapes? Florals? Op-art? Impressionism? Expressionism?

Perhaps I'm a fuddy-duddy, but that modern nonsense over the fireplace does absolutely nothing for me. My daughter did better than that when she was in kindergarten.

Why not create a scrap book of photos of well-done rooms from the internet of your daughter's style and then hone in on what is on the walls.

Once she has picked out the wall decoration for her home and knows what colors she is working with, then the new coverings for the sofa cushions can be arranged to work in the colors in prints, geometrics, stripes, whatever. Just not that Chinese blue and white! The two on the white chairs are enough.

The other thing is, don't only think of two dimensional art, there are interesting 3 dimensional objets that can be hung or mounted or displayed on brackets.

And please, no blue and white plates!

A live plant will definitely enhance the room. A tall standing one would be great if it doesn't block a walkway, or a smaller one to put on the coffee table.

You definitely can have a coffee table with children in the home.

To child-proof it they sell foam for edges and corners from many different manufacturers and at baby stores and online.

It's not the most attractive thing, but anyone invited to your daughter's home will know she has children.

The umbrella stand with sticks is in an awkward place, it is too close to the chair and will make the person seated there feel cramped. Furthermore, dead sticks do not enhance the room's decor.

If your daughter has a brown thumb and wants something from nature, there are cotton stems and dried preserved lunaria which has a pearlescent look and lasts forever.

Although I really do prefer live things, even if you are only cutting off stems and branches from something in the yard. It's a great reason to grow perennials with big interesting leaves and long stems.

I love, love acanthus (Bear's Breeches.)

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/perennial/bears-breeches/

https://www.southernliving.com/plants/bears-breeches

The leaves are beautiful, they are easy to grow, and they flower as well, and there are many varieties.

Keep up the great work!

Design2 girl thanked loobab
  • lynartist
    3 years ago

Glad to see you back Design2girl; I’m very sorry about about your sons loss! This is a very challenging year for so many. I tried to post last night but Houzz was acting up. There are many things I like in this room and that certainly is a very bossy rug. I keep going back to the thought that this is a home for young people though. For me I think there is too much blue and white pattern that doesn’t jive with the warmth of the room. I switched a couple things to give you an idea. I hope you don’t mind.

Design2 girl thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    3 years ago

I did add b&w art but a bit more modern over the fireplace and added more casual, contemporary jars. I also switched the pillows on the sofa; the darker( and fabulous) ones from the chairs stand up better on the sofa and added some green also. I think the others don’t work so well and have too much white in them. I also agree with others about the furniture arrangement. A couple more wood pieces in here to temper some of the blue would be nice.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Something else

• amuzyczka
    3 years ago

Just an aside; do not bring Bears' Breeches into a home with small children in it. They are very prickly and contact with the leaves will cause rashes.

Design2 girl thanked amuzyczka
  • loobab
    3 years ago

Stems of acanthus in a vase on the mantel higher than the children can reach is not going to give the children a rash.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Just my POV

• Seajay Sparkles
    3 years ago

Didn’t want to be negative right out of the box, Flo. But they were requested. 😕

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Just my POVi think this traditional room could use a bit more warm wood.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I especially like these pictures and lyn’s pillow recommendations.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

I love the blue and white throw pillows on the chairs. They are scrumptious. But, I like what lynartist did with the same pillows on the sofa with additional green pillows even more.

I really like blue and white with a neutral palette in the rest of the room. Myself, I always end up with an additional color because I am filling in with things that I already own. Most of us do this.

Someone, I don't remember who, told me in a post that my home looked like a cheap Chinese import store with my real ginger jar vases and lamps. They certainly didn't come from Home Goods. I put that suggestion in the appropriate file. In response to the post, I did take a hard look around and made certain that I wasn't placing more than three items in a room with such a strong visual influence. If I felt that I was guilty of that decorating sin, I moved one of them elsewhere.

I would really consider removing the umbrella stand and sticks, the jar on the hearth and those garden stools. Remember, a lady always removes one item of jewelry:)

Art on walls is so personal. I've been decorating my homes for thirty years and I still haven't finished it or gotten it right. That is something that I wouldn't waste money on a place holder. Buy only when it's right.

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, I just love you guys! Lol! I haven't been on here in a while and it is so refreshing to read lots of opinions and get ideas.

First of all, Seejay, my daughter vetoed those Strong Green Garden Geometrics prints from Ballards as soon as I showed them to her on the wall with the TV, as they are just too too competing with the rug so that was easy.

And, before I read this, I have to say, I told Emily when I was there 2 weeks ago, the lamps were just too dang matchy-matchy, and we took them out and put the apothecary lamps with the green shades there, wish I had taken a picture of it when I was there, but we were busy with kiddos, etc.

So here are the current lamps moved into the living room with these green shades, which is a bit different from the pillows, but we wanted more green elements anyway. I will try to get an actual picture. But, I did have the same thoughts about too much of the same on the blue accessories. And of course, I love the apothecary lamps.

Offer Submitted, Awaiting Dealer Response: Pair of Apothecary Jar Lamps with Fre · More Info

Couture Drum Lamp Shade | Ballard Designs · More Info

But, I don't disagree with a lot of these comments. The rug is waaayyy too loud and modern for my tastes, as I would have gone with the $$$$$ persian, lol, but it was not feasible nor practical at this stage of life, ie dog + kiddos = current rug is fine, lol.

This is another Ballard print that she liked

Emily's Living Room Ideas · More Info

She has these frames that she is considering using but of course, no prints yet, lol. What do you think about stacking these 2 frames on either side of the TV ? And then, we considered placing them horizontally. Interested in your vote on that.

See my little bicyclist helper there?

I like the idea of adding additional green pillows on the sofa, we are ISO some that will work.

Meanwhile, she bought a new Sherrill Sofa for the sunroom and dang, if its not GRAY, I hate gray, but it was a great down filled Sherrill piece and the size was right and she needed to unload a pesky Chippendale sofa that had outlasted its years of service. And, she is doing this house on a budget during a pandemic with the kiddos home from school, no babysitter/nanny, not working and her husband has been in a transition office space and planning to rebuild a major office building. Ha! Life is busy, but if you see any great green pillows, let me know!

Our other main project these days is planning the heirloom portraits of my sweet granddaughter, and our little guy needs his 1 year old portrait done. So, this week, we are deep into planning the wardrobe and setting with our photographer to get the right look for those classic portraits. My daughter is much more interested in getting those done than doing anything else in this room right now!

But, for me, here are my peonies in blue. Even though my peonies were a bit late this year due to our very cool spring, I love them so much when they burst into action! Enjoy and thank you for the comments.

• Seajay Sparkles
    3 years ago

Hi D2G. Well, you are a Chatty Cathy today 😊😉. First, your peonies are beautiful. I love peonies as well. I had a boss who used to bring me peonies from his garden every spring. The highlight of working with him. I think DD made a good decision on the garden prints so mock-up came in handy. As to the prints you’re considering around the TV, I think either stacked or vertically works. That’s a high ceiling over the TV, so you’re eye will tell you if you think you should go up or wider with the prints. My 2 cents. I would remove the umbrella stand and sticks. Never been a fan of sticks.

Your little helper is getting so big.

Ps. Love that little blue/white jar next to the peonies.

• Molly
    3 years ago

DG2 I put these pictures around my tv. They were downloads from Etsy at $6 each that I framed myself in 22” frames. I’m not suggesting these prints, just the idea of frames around the tv.

Design2 girl thanked Molly
  • Seajay Sparkles
    3 years ago

Yep, I love Molly’s pictures around the TV. But I think the upper right one may be upside down. 😉🙃 JK!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

In your daughter’s room, I like the two stacked on each side. Lots of prints available for downloading out there.

• loobab
    3 years ago

Design2 girl- Haven't seen you around here in a million years. Are you and your family okay?

• happyleg
    3 years ago

I seen her! I'm saying "Hi"

Design2 girl thanked happyleg
  • Design2 girl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Happiest of Holidays to all you fabulous Houzzers! I sure hope everybody here is staying safe and happy during this crazy, sad, horrible pandemic.

Thought I would share a few of our Christmas pictures especially in the dining room that you ladies all helped create, such a fun memory, and it feels like a lifetime ago

And our very small Christmas Eve dinner, but we were very blessed to have our son home for Christmas this year after 2 weeks of quarantine and a negative covid test before he would venture home.

And here's my daughter's big addition over the fireplace mantel....this is the piece that made her heart sing, Oil glazed portrait of her babies

Today I am babysitting, safe, and happy to be looking at a New Year! Hoping and praying you are all well. My best Christmas present was a covid 19 vaccine, looking forward to my second dose. Love and Hugs to all the Houzzers!

• krottmann
    3 years ago

yes...where is she?
    I was just thinking about this thread the other day...

Design2 girl thanked krottmann
  • Design2 girl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Krottmann, I am here, staying busy and looking forward to a New Year! Scroll up for our holiday decorating at my daughter's and her Christmas Eve dining room. Hope you guys are staying well and healthy. Thanks so much for checking in on me.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Design2 girl! So happy to see your update! Been wondering about you and your beautiful family. A quieter rug in your daughter’s family room will be a better look. Your impeccable taste has definitely rubbed off. Of course, you have to be proud of them and honor their budget.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Hope 2021 opens many more opportunities!

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ohhhh, Flo, so good to hear from you! Hope you guys have been safe and well. How have your friends and family been through this crazy year? Wondering how Covid has impacted the Interior Design business. I can imagine lots of people are home and want to improve their space, but interested to hear your experience.

I actually ended up becoming a busy landlord at the beginning of 2020. I did go ahead and update a small home that I inherited, and managed to get it rented before the pandemic started. And, then my son got a job opportunity in Indianapolis, so I helped him move and we rented his home that I worked so much on and Houzz helped me with.....so 2020 has been a year of lessons on many fronts.

(I agree about the loud rug, BTW) but the beauty of it all is....they like it and I truly don't have to live with it, so I don't care. lolol, somehow at this stage of life, it feels really good to say that.

Much love to all you Houzzers, and please, eat the damn Black Eyed Peas this year, so we can all move on! Cheers to 2021!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Haha! I have given up on Black Eyed Peas! Doing Split Pea Soup with ham leftovers instead! We shall see. Can’t believe your son moved! You worked so hard on that house. I want one of your rentals!! We have actually had a great design year. So many folks reworked their homes for home schooling and etc plus some just took advantage of the time! So all good. DH is in high risk group and he just got authorized for the vaccine. I will hopefully be able to get as well soon. We have not overly limited ourselves but been careful. Absolutely hate masks. Especially since we know from science and decades of research they don’t stop viruses. Kind of placebo technically. Anyway, no issues here and hoping to keep it that way. You take care. We decorated for Christmas but not quite as big. But I love it so much. Love your beautiful spectacular ornament wreath and mantel. Just stunning! Take care and pop in every once in a while!

• lshack17
    3 years ago

D2G, I remember the thread where you helped your son decorate his new home. And now the home is rented? Well, hopefully he still has the decor pieces you so painstakingly searched for in his new place. Your kids are lucky to have a Mom who cares so much. Happy New Year!

Design2 girl thanked lshack17
  • Molly
    3 years ago

Happy New Year D2G! 🥳

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If it helps anybody here, my husband, myself, my daughter, and my son in law (all HCW) have all had the first vaccine, with only a sore arm for 24-48 hours being the only side effect to report. With 94% efficacy, and my husband's constant risk of exposure at his office, we are more than thrilled to get the shot and hoping to get back to a more normal state soon. Our small community has been hit hard, we have lost several personal friends, colleagues, including a physician and medical assistant, dear neighbors, and basically Covid has been devastating here.

We were able to turn that bonus room upstairs into a most delightful "Playroom" and our grandchildren have enjoyed hours of fun there and they clamor to run there when they are here playing. I am so thrilled that we got busy and moved all the "Junque" into storage and created a space that is absolutely worry free and kid friendly.

And, Molly, I bet your space is finished and gorgeous now! Its great to refine space and define life at every age and stage.

My last BIG adjustment is preparing for my husband's retirement which will be official April 2021. Any of you houzzers have a husband that has retired with any great tips on sharing house space, I would love to hear. We personally have decided to create his office in (GASP) our dining room. Omg.....I never thought I would give up the dining room. But, POUF, like magic, we moved the table upstairs and moved the desk in its place. And, I'm good with it. We do have an office upstairs, but he prefers to have the view and proximity downstairs, and I agree. Yikes! My daughter will be hosting family dinners, and we will have casual eating in the breakfast room and our kitchen bar. Tell me I'm not crazy!

• krottmann
    3 years ago

The room looks beautiful!
    Weird, your pictures just showed up today... anyway, it's so nice to see the room in use.
    Happy New Year!

• niccidhg
    3 years ago

Pictures just showed up today for me too. So beautiful ! Thank you for sharing ,D2G, and stay safe and well in 2021.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I just see pictures too! Simply gorgeous! You have taught your daughter well. Don’t know why these photos were so delayed.

• Seajay Sparkles
    3 years ago

Hi D2G. Your daughter’s Christmas Was gorgeous. Those tree . . .be still my heart. So happy to hear all is well and too bad about your son moving. But careers these days seem to involve a lot of moving for young folks.

Black eyed peas . . . no New Year is complete until mom made the peas and ham. I did my part. Best wishes.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

I did the black-eyed peas for everyone. Ham, too. Lovely pictures. Glad to see you well and thriving.