SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

6' wide floor to ceiling cabs--how to not look like a monolith?

girl_wonder
4 years ago

I have a nook 74" wide by 38.5" deep that I want to use as a stacking W/D cabinet + broom closet + pull out pantry. I want the W/D doors to be swivel-pocket doors like this.

I want to optimize this space and am hoping I can design this so the 6' long cabinet face doesn't look like a monolith. My thought:

W/D = 36" (need 5" for the doors)

broom closet == 12"

pantry == 24"

Will this look decent? Each of the W/D doors would be 18" wide, than I'd have three doors that are 12" wide. I think this photo (below) looks good. But how will it look with my broom closet in there?

This person has symmetrical cabinets (and brooms elsewhere)

Here are ways that people have broken up their walls. In this first pic, looking at the left end, they used some pull out drawers. I guess I could try that at the bottom of the pantry. (they also mixed it up with wood, which helps here but wouldn't work for my house) Plus I think these elements work well all together, not piecemeal)

I have a 1940 bungalow and most of the floor to ceiling cabinetry I've seen is composed of many different types of drawers and cabinets, like this. I could, in theory, make the pantry side look like one of half of this cabinet--not sure if it's worth it.

Another option is to not have a dedicated broom closet but to make the W/D side larger, and put a partition inside for the brooms and related stuff. But I suspect I'll get sick of opening the W/D closet every time I want to use the broom.

I'm not married to the 2' pantry. If it would be made larger that would be great. But I'm trying to figure out how to make the cabinet doors look proportional and decent.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (10)