SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slimoedee

Help with Small Kitchen Re-do

JustDoIt
5 years ago

First, forgive me if this is a duplicate posting. Now the issue. After being in my home for 8 years, I need help making 2 decisions in order to redo the 35 year old kitchen. (I have problems making decisions.) The goals of the remodel are to provide more counter space and storage. (I actually previously reached out to the Houzz community in 2015 but was still not able to make a decision. This post is asking different questions.) I am single and do not need a eat-in kitchen nor an extremely high-end kitchen filled with the latest. While not necessarily a budget remodel, I've got lots of other things I also want to do to the house. I'm not worried about resale value as this will most likely be my last home. Additionally, cooking in a fancy kitchen is not real high on my list. However, I do want new kitchen cabinets.

Plan is to remove micro/oven combo and have a stove. This will help fulfill the need for additional counter space. The trash compactor, which has never been even opened, will not be replaced.

Here are the pictures from the sales listing. The wallpaper and the wine rack above the fridge have been removed. Dependent upon the cost, the soffit may be removed. There is a whole-house sprinkler system that will have to be investigated.

Current · More Info

Current · More Info

Current · More Info

Current · More Info

QUESTION #1: The Angled Sink

I am short, and getting shorter, and cannot even reach behind the sink to clean the counter without standing on something. The house faces west and get lots of sunlight in the mornings. Would you remove the corner windows and move the sink to the back wall similar to this space:

The Boat House Restoration · More Info

QUESTION #2: The Bench Seat

Behind the kitchen table below the double window is the bench seat. As I stated, this is only used to place groceries and other stuff. Whether I move the window to the back wall or keep the sink angled, would you extend the counter like in the picture below in place of the unused bench seat? I would remove the bump out and put the same length windows across counter.

Desert Courtyard Kitchen · More Info

Here is another view of the extension of the counter:

Desert Courtyard Kitchen · More Info

Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)