jenniferkieu68

What is wrong with my roses???

Jennifer (7b)
5 years ago

All my roses staring to curl like this. What is wrong with them? Thanks

Comments (52)

• girlnamedgalez8a
    5 years ago

I have seen tons of RR. This does not look like RRD to me. I agree with KS, it looks like some kind of weed killer damage. I am so sorry, I feel your pain.

Jennifer (7b) thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • stillanntn6b
    5 years ago

Are the curls because the roses have gone limp? Or are they growing strong, well hydrated spirals?

Jennifer (7b) thanked stillanntn6b
  • Related Discussions

Help! What is wrong with my rose leaves?

Q

Comments (16)
    Your ph is a little high and the roses may be re-acting to it as this can cause what looks like to me as a mild manganese deficiency starting. If it is, the leaves will go to a brighter yellow. I would give the roses a rest from any spray or fertilizer. Just water and see if the new leaves are normal looking. If they do go yellow then there is a foliar spray for mineral deficiencies. Don't give up on the roses as there is always some thing you can do to solve most basic rose problems.
    ...See More

What is wrong with my rose leaves?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you all. As soon as I read Lisa's response, I researched sawfly and learned a whole lot. Funny thing is that last year I said I'm getting rid of all roses that aren't rugosa, because I was tired of all the diseases and insects. This spring I discovered the voles had tunneled all over the garden in winter, where this rose bush is and ate all the roots except for one. The bush was hanging on with the root stubs above ground. I cut the roses down to a few inches. All my roses are GLORIOUS this spring with more flowers than ever. I can smell them in the house. What incredible fragrance. I only grow heavily scented roses. How could I get rid of them? For the pleasure they give me, I guess I will put up with all the trouble.
    ...See More

What’s wrong with my rose?

Q

Comments (6)
    I was going to say either botrytis blight or thrips. The buds in the first photo look like thrips. Watering too much, lots of humidity and rain can bring on the blight. And some roses, particularly those in light colors with many petals are appealing to the tiny insect called thrips. Once the damage has been done by thrips, there's not a lot you can do about it. In the case of botrytis, cut off the ruined blooms, and don't overwater. Diane
    ...See More

Help me identify what is wrong with my rose plant, help me save it

Q

Comments (2)
    Try watering daily for a while and skipping the fertilizer and see if that helps.
    ...See More
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Weed killer or lack of water.........

Jennifer (7b) thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • oldrosarian
    5 years ago

If it was Rose Rosette, you would see some red or reddish growth. Roses act like that when they are poisoned by too much strong fertilizer or a spray that they didn't like or as the others say, wind drift from someone's herbicide. I would cut them right down to 18 inches so the roots don't have to cope with making buds and flowers. That will give them more strength to the bush.

Jennifer (7b) thanked oldrosarian
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I don't think you should cut them down just yet. Give them a good long drink of water, and see what happens. I may not be seeing correctly, but the soil looks dry around the rose planted next to the tree. Also you might consider transplanting that rose eventually, if the tree outcompetes it. Are you trying to grow a climber that will ascend the tree? Diane

Jennifer (7b) thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

That’s a strange looking condition. I’d guess herbicide drift either from your lawn guy (do they apply weed killer?) or a neighbor. I would agree to do some heavy watering to dilute the affect. It’s definitely not RRD, so at least that’s not a worry.

Jennifer (7b) thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

OMG it’s must be from the lawn spray last week. Are they all going to die? What should I do now? Please help me.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Water them, wash the chemical off the roses, flood them ASAP , flood the soil..You might have to cut them down like oldrosairan mentioned. The weed killer is already in their system.........contact the lawn services who sprayed your roses, they should replace them at no cost.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

I’ve seen this curling before, with weed n’feed products. Did you spray the lawn, or someone else? Find out what was applied and as the others have said, DRENCH the area several times to dilute the effect.

Jennifer (7b) thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We have like 10hrs of rain yesterday. Should I trimmed them off now. It’s going to break my heart because I have been counting days and nights for this spring to come. I want to SUE my husband. He SPRAYED his lawn with the new chemical he said supposed to be good. :(

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I have a better idea. Get some sorry gifts out of your DH! :-)

I don’t think those buds would open at this point, they have been poisoned, but I could be wrong. I’d contact the product company to ask for more details.

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

summersrhythm_z6a Thank you. I am going out to trim those curly buds. Sad but trust me. HE WILL PAY!!!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Yes Jennifer! I think a diamond ring or earrings might help the pain too. Start with high priced items, don’t lower down the price! This is your 2nd Christmas in April.

Be strong! :-)

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone. It's wonderful to be able to come here and ask for help. Thank you very much. I hope my roses don't die.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

To preserve your marriage, may I recommend a buffer zone? I would move the borders out another 12-18” and mulch heavily to create some nutrient rich space for them. Maybe plant some companions or annuals there, to blend it all together? This would create a space between the roses and lawn, and could be a good compromise on the lawn care. :-)

5 years ago

I think you’re in Oklahoma, and probably got the same drenching rains we did in North Texas. I think nature has done all she could to help out your roses, and there’s not much more for you to do except be patient and wait for new growth. I’m so sorry, it looks like they were coming along so nicely!

I’m afraid someone is in the dog house tonight :-/

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hehehe, he has been extra sweet since he came home (I screamed when I found out) and he is taking me out for dinner. He never had any problem with my obsession with roses so I don’t have to fight for new roses. Maybe a diamond necklace might help to soothe my heartaches.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

You go Jennifer! :-) "Rocks" are the foundation of every marriage. :-)

• User
    5 years ago

Jennifer,

To be perfectly honest, these roses have been exposed to significant amounts of herbicide, and even if they DO survive, they might struggle for years to recover, and might never grow properly. Its too late to try to prompt them to recover - the damage is just beginning to show: in two weeks there won't be a living shoot left, I expect. Herbicide is quite unforgiving. It would be in your best interest to remove them and get replacements. Assuming your husband has been read The Riot Act.

Jennifer (7b) thanked User
  • Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A whole set of diamonds will not make me happy now. My garden has probably 250 roses. Most of them seems affected. I am sooo sad....

5 years ago

I know how much you treasure your roses, we all do, so I’m very sad for you, too.

Don’t know what else to say but to offer my condolences.

One thing: Do you know the name of weed killer that was applied? In that 1st pic, it seems only the rose was affected. There are at least 3 other broadleaf plants (a day lily, mint, Shasta daisy, perhaps) and none of them seem affected at all, only the rose...that is strange.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

I was wondering the same thing Ben...you need to ask him what the chemical is, Jennifer to be sure we’ve diagnosed this correctly. If it’s a broadleaf herbicide, the other plants should show symptoms too.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    5 years ago

Perhaps consider not spraying the lawn in the future?

Jennifer (7b) thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
  • Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is what he used. I am sorry for late response because I was out cutting down my roses.

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

K S 8b Seattle As long as I am still his wife, it would be his last!

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My daisy are still very happy. I only notice my gauras got affected.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    5 years ago
    Wow, that stuff is a Schedule 2 carcinogenic and toxic to breathe. Have you considered the pre-emergent pellets made from corn to control weeds? I hear they wok pretty well. I understand not everybody can garden organically like I do, but I would be afraid to walk on your hubby's stuff in my bare feet. I would rather have Crabgrass!
    This lists the MSDS warnings
    https://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/prodiamine-4sc-herbicide-2-5-gallons-926
    Jennifer (7b) thanked sautesmom Sacramento
    5 years ago

Yes, I browsed the label, broadleaf weed killer as guessed. Roses must just be extra sensitive to it, go to the garage now and dispose of it!

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It was recommended from his coworkers. Whatever he wants to do with it I don’t care but he won’t spray in my garden ever again. I appreciate you all for helping me. I will call professionals lawn service near future. As far as my rose garden, I just feel numb. I don’t know what I will do except strip off all of the new growth in this spring. My love for rose have been rough. I have lost countless of roses to RRD. I rarely get good seasons blooms. When I finally have blooms, thrips took over. Last year I blamed the late frost killed my best spring blooms. May is the tornado season in OK. We have a lot of very strong wind. They just blows away any spring blooms I have. This early spring I found out I have worms canker borer. They might have been there for a long time because I had to trimmed down most of my roses to the ground, including 4,5 year old climbers. And now this herbicide damaged. I got into roses because of this forum. Seeing your rose pictures made me hope some days I also can make a beautiful rose garden for myself. God knows how much money and time I put in my yard (My husband could faint if he knows). Maybe it was just a lesson I needed to learn for my dream garden. My husband plans to take early retirement in about three years and we will move to California so I can grow my roses. Yeah, maybe it what I have to go through to learn the right way to garden. I feel better now. Thank you for reading my lengthy weak English. You guys are life saver. Thank you for being here for me. I am going out again to strip off the rest of the infected rose. As for my husband, the poor guy Looks depressed worse than me. He knows I love my garden and I know he loves me. I know if he can pay to undo this he will go all the way. I forgive him. God bless all of us. There will be brighter days ahead.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

I’m so sorry to hear of this “learning experience “ for him and grief for you. But your attitude is wonderful about it , things will get better !!

Jennifer (7b) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

OMG! This made my heart clutch! My hubby did the same thing about four years ago. He spred weed and feed on the lawn and right up against the flower beds. The weed product goes into the soil to kill the roots. The rose roots were out into the lawn and to make matters worse he TOLD me he threw extra handfuls into the beds to 'help' me with my weeding. Mine looked exactly like yours and I was not able to save any of them. The rain immediately following the weed/feed application forced the product down to the roots as advertised and it did it's job. No jewelry items would suffice my dismay!

Jennifer (7b) thanked lkayetwvz5
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

We all learn from our mistakes. This is just another learning curve. Like Lily said things will get better!

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Can I replace the will be dead ones right away or should I wait out? Thanks

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Jennifer, I can tell you that I accidentally got a small amount of Round Up on one of my roses last year.

It deformed about half of the bush and I cut it away.

It grew back just fine. But that was just 1 rose affected.

I can't offer any advice, just my experience.

It looks like I'm the only one who was able to save one.

Jennifer (7b) thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

lkayetwvz5 I am glad I keep grass off my flower beds. If my husband go that far to HELP me with the grass in my beds that way, I don't know if I could hold my temper now. Maybe I could laugh about this 4 years down the road. Thank you.

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lilyfinch z7 mid tn You always kind and sweet. Thank you.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Jennifer you have the right attitude, although I also gasped when seeing this. I showed my DH and he said I should be happy he just cuts the lawn and nothing else. I can't advise you. Perhaps you could pot a few up and see if they recover. I worry about residual herbicide in the soil. Until you find out how long it can remain killing, I would hold off investing time and money in new plants and hope for the best with those you have. I once had my entire beds mowed down to "weed" them. I was hot, but this is heart-breaking. If you wanted new roses, perhaps keep them in pots until you are sure the herbicide is cleared from the soil.

Jennifer (7b) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • User
    5 years ago

Its a gamble: you could wait three months to see whether they recover or not, and if you find (as I suspect you will) that they do not recover, you will wish you had just removed them and replaced them immediately, and not wasted an entire growing season. I know which of those two things I would do, knowing what I know about herbicides.

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Paul Barden The infected soil wouldn't kill my new rose? If it is safe I will be gladly to replace the really bad ones right away. Thank you!!!

• Hoang Ton (Zone 8B, Tallahassee FL)
    5 years ago

Jennifer, this happened to me 3 years ago when i only had around 10 rose bushes. From my experience i found that the infected soil killed my new roses too. You will either have wait a few months to a year depending on the type of the herbicide or replace the infected soil before planting the new roses.

Jennifer (7b) thanked Hoang Ton (Zone 8B, Tallahassee FL)
  • Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I guess waiting out a bit is my only option. The chemical my DH used seems to be strong. I wouldn't be surprise if he sprayed his lawn throughly. That's how he is.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Jennifer, I would definitely wait it out. I have used glysophate (Round Up, but much stronger) on several diseased roses, as they were way too big for me to remove. I had to cut and poison several times over a few weeks, as the roses kept growing back, producing beautifully healthy foliage. And, in very little time, even the shoots that grew back with damage, grew normally. Of course, I gather that the product your husband used is not the same, but I'd still give it a shot.

Mme Isaac Pereire is still growing strongly, though I have cut her back to the graft and poisoned her 4 times. And yes, to all the disbelievers, I do get the poison on to the cut within 30seconds - usually much less. My gardener says he's struck the same problem.

Jennifer (7b) thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • altorama Ray
    5 years ago

I'm sorry, I hope your roses recover!

Would planting new roses in raised beds be safer than planting in the affected soil?

Jennifer (7b) thanked altorama Ray
  • User
    5 years ago

Jennifer,

Its very difficult to judge how much of the herbicide actually made it into the soil. You'd have to get a very clear idea from your husband how close to the beds he sprayed, and how much likely ended up in the soil. Even then, its difficult to say. Most of these herbicides degrade in sunlight and water to form non-phytotoxic compounds, so its possible that in a month's time, there may not be any of the offending chemical in the soil. I would investigate the herbicide and find out what its half-life in the soil is.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

Jennifer - I have no advice to help you, but I'm so sorry that you lost your roses! Maybe just for fun you could plant some in large pots on your porch or patio, while you are waiting for the soil to wash out.

Jennifer (7b) thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cyndita, Good ideas. I will do that. Thanks

• Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Paul, my husband said he sprayed very light. He doesn’t think the soil got infected. Just the leaves. I trimmed the roses down quite a bit. Hopefully they get over it. Meanwhile I will shop for roses and pot them up ready to replace whichever gets sick. Thank you very much for helping me.

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

THIS IS NOT a SUGGESTION.... but a question for someone more knowledge.... When my roses get hit hard with lots of salt from heavy winds, I was told to pull the leaves from the bush.... not just to wash them off. After our last hurricane I was out there pulling all the leaves off.... I am wondering if you pulled the leaves off, if it would help? If the leaves got drift instead of the plant up taking the round up through the roses, would this help..... I would suppose it might if done soon enough.... if the limbs are starting to wilt what about cutting below the wilt and pull the other leaves off..... Just asking....

Jennifer (7b) thanked sharon2079
  • Jennifer (7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sharon, I hope it will help. I even cut down a lot on the heavy infected ones. But like Paul Barden said, it’s seems like it is just starting to show. I trimmed more bushes today. Thank you for your response.