‘If this is the new normal, I want no part of it’

Mattie

Took him long enough

‘If this is the new normal, I want no part of it’: Citing Trump, Iowa’s longest-serving Republican leaves party

Iowa’s longest-serving Republican legislator, state Rep. Andy McKean, ditched the GOP on Tuesday as he offered a searing renunciation of President Trump, saying he could no longer support Trump as the party’s standard-bearer due to his “unacceptable behavior” and “reckless spending."

McKean revealed he would join the Democratic Party, a decision he described as a “very difficult” after spending nearly a half-century as a registered Republican and 26 years in the Legislature. But ultimately, he said, “I feel as a Republican that I need to be able to support the standard bearer of our party.”

And “unfortunately,” he said, he could not bring himself to support Trump.

“Unacceptable behavior should be called out for what it is,” he said during the news conferenceat the Iowa Statehouse in Des Moines, “and Americans of all parties should insist on something far better in the leader of their country and the free world.”

McKean now joins the ranks of state Republican officials who have fled the party amid a divisive presidency and shifting political landscape. From Kansas to New Jersey, a slow succession of state lawmakers and officials, largely in suburban districts that have become less red, have both startled and appeased constituents by crossing the aisle, oftentimes citing Trump’s rhetoric, policies and a disagreement with their party’s responses to his behavior.

In explaining his decision, McKean said he returned to the Iowa Legislature in 2017 after a long hiatus to find the party-line divide more gaping than ever. Upon his return to politics, he felt “increasingly uncomfortable” siding with the GOP on many high-profile issues, he said.

McKean said he believed it was “just a matter of time” before the country “pays a heavy price for Trump’s reckless spending and shortsighted financial policies," as well as his administration’s environmental and “destabilizing” foreign policies.

“He sets, in my opinion, a poor example for the nation and particularly for our children by personally insulting, often in a crude and juvenile fashion, those who disagree with him, being a bully at a time when we’re attempting to discourage bullying,” McKean said.

He continued: "I believe his actions have coarsened political discourse, have resulted in unprecedented divisiveness and have created an atmosphere that is a breeding ground for hateful rhetoric and actions. Some would excuse this behavior as ‘telling it like it is’ and the new normal. If this is the new normal, I want no part of it.”

SaveComment21Like8
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Good for him!

All ex trumplicans and gopers welcome, welcome to the light!

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
lurker111

Trump isn't a politician. He came to the podium to discuss the issues and was hit with rhetoric. "Small hands, orange skin, fake hair, racist, xenophobe"...He's just playing their game and talking to the left on their level, with language they can understand...while pulling their strings.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

Sure lurker. What was Trump's excuse for the first 70 years of his life?

11 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
lurker111

Probably the same as yours.

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

Pardon me?

1 Like Save     Thanked by Mattie
chase_gw

I don't care if Trump is a politician or isn't a politician. What I care about is the fact he is dishonest, unethical and a liar. Not attributes I look for in world leaders.

Good for McKean . I suspect he won't be the last to abandon ship.

14 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
dandyfopp

Insult Donnie, insult Donnie fans, it is always personal to them.

In other news Donnie continues to ignore subpoenas and makes no bones about it- he is above the law.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
blfenton

He has always viewed himself as above the law. I've never understood people's disappointment when trump didn't become more "presidential". Did you really think he was going to do so?

9 Likes Save    
Chi

He thinks the president is untouchable. He demanded Obama release birth certificates yet is so insulted people want to see his tax returns that he promised he would release. Why is it ok for him to demand something not required by law, but wrong when people demand the same from him?

He has some nice state surprises headed his way once he's out of office. If he had kept his head down, making his reality TV shows, he likely could have lived the rest of his life without the kind of scandal and ruin and criminal association that he's brought to his family legacy.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
woodnymph2_gw

Good for McKean. If only more Repubs would grow a spine. They are going to go down on the wrong side of history....

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Trump isn't a politician. He came to the podium to discuss the issues and was hit with rhetoric.

I have not heard him once discuss any issue, he rants, raves, orders and insults, but discussion is not one of the things he does.

15 Likes Save    
JodiK

See? Like rats from a sinking ship.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

POTUS has been working with U.S. intelligence agencies for decades, wake up.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

catkinZ8a

43 minutes ago

POTUS has been working with U.S. intelligence agencies for decades, wake up.

########

Things have certainly taken dark turn here.

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

blfenton said

He has always viewed himself as above the law. I've never understood people's disappointment when trump didn't become more "presidential". Did you really think he was going to do so?

~~~~

Yes -- I hoped for it. Sad isn't it?

Save    
Mattie

POTUS has been working with U.S. intelligence agencies for decades,

Uhhh............ yeah ...........

That's why the president gets a national security briefing every day. Well, they did until Trump showed up. He can't sustain any interest in any briefings

And the president has a national security adviser, too.

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

omg, millions of documents, no claim of executive privilege, hundreds of witnesses, hundreds of warrants. Mueller got everything he asked for. But the dems didn't. And Trump is still president! Gotta hurt....I hope!

Save    
numbersjunkie
"Mueller got everything he asked for."

I see Mrs still didn't read the report.
1 Like Save    
Delilah66

POTUS has been working with U.S. intelligence agencies for decades,

Yeah, except for the past 2 years.

Save    
cait1

What changed in 5 months?

He waits until after the election to make this announcement. How noble of him. /sarc

If he really held those beliefs he'd have announced the decision before the election, but he knew he'd lose and he wanted another 2 years pay and benefits before the good people of District 58 throw him out of office.

Good riddance.

Save    

Related Stories

Life You Said It: ‘It’s Different ... But Then, Aren’t You?’ and More Wisdom
Highlights from the week include celebrating individuality and cutting ourselves some decorating slack
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘It’s Important to Wait’ and More Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
Decorating Guides You Said It: 'If You Do Nothing Else ... Clean Your Gutters,' and More
Design advice, observations and inspiration that struck a chord this week
Full Story
Decorating Guides Getting the Room Right: Part I
By Pangaea
Great Spaces Show How to Avoid the Top 10 Decorating Mistakes
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘I’m Never Leaving’ and More Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
Beneficial Insects Gardening for the Bees, and Why It’s a Good Thing
When you discover how hard bees work for our food supply, you may never garden without them in mind again
Full Story
Most Popular Organizing Secrets: It’s the Little Things
Get these 8 small areas under control for a major boost in overall tidiness at home
Full Story
Gardening and Landscaping Garden Tour: It’s Always Spring in This Guatemalan Paradise
A landscape architect’s tropical garden dazzles with colorful flowers, rare peacocks, parrots and toucans
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Part Traditional, Part Modern and All Family Friendly
With clean lines, vintage touches and durable surfaces everywhere, this Los Angeles home balances tastes and needs beautifully
Full Story