SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbradwell

Cabinet Placement

My husband and I are designing a kitchen for a house we are under contract on. This is my first time starting with a blank slate for a kitchen design, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the cabinet placement. We're planning to use CliqStudios semi-custom cabinets, and I'm including a copy of the latest design they have come up with. Due to the constraints imposed by the windows, there aren't a ton of options for placement of the appliances. The range is located where I think it has to be, but I'm not satisfied with any of the options for a range hood. I would love a wall mount stainless steel hood, but there isn't a way to center it in the space and I'm afraid it would look odd. The design below shows a microwave hood option, but I'm not a big fan of those, and the cabinet to the left doesn't have symmetry with the one on the right. Anyone have a suggestion for what to do here? The window on the left would have to be shortened to place cabinets below, so we have some wiggle room with its size and placement, but I don't want to stray too far from the original. It's a historic house and I want to keep the details as much as possible.

I also wonder if a small island would be a good idea, but it's a very small house and that space in the kitchen is the only place for a dining table. Should that take precedence over more cabinet space and an eat-in countertop? The house is an investment property, so our personal preferences are secondary to what is most desirable to buyers. I'm including a bird's eye shot from an earlier design just to show the space.

One other issue, the double cabinet to the left of the sink looks odd to me next to the single cabinet with a larger door size. Is there a better option to achieve symmetry here? It seems the best option would be to make the cabinet to the left of the window an 18" like the one to the right and make the double cabinet wider, but I don't think the double cabinet comes in a larger size.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Comments (27)