SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_wickett

problems with seedlings! help!

Amy Wickett
5 years ago

Ideally (this is what has been recommended to me from the local farmers in the area, many of whom grow starter plants) you're supposed to grow starter plants in a greenhouse. it's possible to grow starter plants under an artificial light system, but it's a very difficult way to do so.

My grow light is very simple; it's made from a pvc pipe frame, a 4' shoplight with two fluorescent lights, and it has a chain attached to adjust the light.

What I read online is that with a grow light of my size, you can (supposedly) grow 96 seedlings under it. Realistically I don't think this is possible; it's too many seedlings in too small of a space, and they're constantly competing for water, nutrients and light if you place that many seedlings in such a small space. The ones on the outer edges are constantly stretching for the light, which weakens them. I know I could rotate them so they'll grow evenly, but that is far too much of a hassle.

How many seedlings can I realistically grow in a grow light of my size?

I cannot put some of them in a greenhouse because I don't have one. They have to be grown inside, because they're warm weather varieties (eggplant, tomatoes, peppers). While the weather is warm enough during the day that it won't kill them, it will set them back, weaken them, and stunt their growth.

Comments (5)