SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_47798884

how do I pick a good roofer?

User
5 years ago

we need to get a new roof and we're absolutely paralyzed with indecision. our first quote was insanely expensive. we're not necessarily going to go with the lowest bid because this is a very tricky project (see below if you feel like details). but I have no idea how to vet roofers. besides "licensed and bonded", are there other things we can look for? one website says they're GAF certified -- is that good? I have no idea.

honestly, I feel like I can't quite trust google or yelp reviews for this project. personal referrals are not exactly making me feel good either. my husband got one from a co-worker, and it turns out they were the same abysmal guys who did our skylights, who we hated. I'm so freaked out we're going to make the wrong choice.

how do I do this?! help!

((details if you're curious: this is a metal roof that was installed incorrectly over the original tar roof. it was done in a way where moisture could get trapped, and the wood it's bolted to could rot - one rotting spot was already found when the skylights went in. (don't ask me why we proceeded with the skylights at the time, that's a separate long story.) it has zero insulation and no attic. they're going to have to tear off all layers so that the only thing left is the tongue-and-groove ceiling, so the entire interior will be a complete effing mess. we're ordering rigid foam insulation, new gutters, two skylight replacements. an additional contractor to do electrical wiring for anything that goes in the ceiling. needless to say, we need to hire the best to make sure this project doesn't end our marriage, lol.))

Comments (4)