SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itza_gonzalez

Have no idea how to style my kitchen. Nothing "speaks to me".

Itza Gonzalez
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

First off want to say THANKS ALL! Everyone is so helpful and supportive and I really appreciate all the help offered. My "kitchen update" project keeps getting bigger and bigger. Kitchen is done , except for paint which needs to be chosen next so I can move forward, but the kitchen looks SO sterile and needs some color from other items in addition to paint. It opens up to my family room so originally all would end once a paint color that would work in the entire area was chosen. Now the plan is to update the family room as well just maybe new curtains and pillows and some zoushing. Hopefully, that will make everything look fresher and more cohesive. There is a also a sun room just off the kitchen and family room and (while I am at it) could be painted and furnished (a limited budget) to make it a more usable space instead of a big junked up mud room. I am totally lost as to how I can warm everything up and make it more me. Being an island girl, grew up in Puerto Rico, I love the tropical feel back home, sunny, dark woods, dark greens and teal blues, aquas, oranges, outdoor living spaces. Have never been able to incorporate anything like that into my home without it being "a lot". or tacky looking. I tend to be drawn to warm styles and colors, but I am all over the place when I think about what I like, styles similar to Mediterranean, Tuscan, Spanish Mission, Spanish Colonial, British Colonial, some southwest styles and colors draw me in - but just don't know how to translate ANY that into my Richmond,Virginia suburban home without it looking too much like a theme. Any ideas for a small table, stools for the counter area, window treatments, kitchen canisters, fruit bowls, place mats (yes I use them - plates on naked tables and counters feel so rude to me), accessories, artwork would be so immensely appreciated, especially specifics as what to purchase and where. Some pictures so you get an idea of what I am working with, forgive the mess, it's a work in progress.

Comments (114)