SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mytemporaryacct

Idea from Newbie - marriage of 5-1-1 and gravel at bottom

Over the past many days i have been reading a lot about Al's 5-1-1 (including his original article on this topic). I now understand the impact of Perched Water Table (PWT), and particulate sizing. I also
saw many gardeners have a tendency to use gravel at bottom of a container, in the hope of increasing drainage (which does not actually happen, unless the particulate sizes are somewhat similar in the layers).

So, here is a proposal that sprung up in my thoughts.... We have to remember that the main idea behind Tapala's 5-1-1 is that the air circulation within the container has to be improved, in order to give the roots a good balance between air and water, both of which are as crucial as nutrients, if not more. This is a condition similar to humans; we can live without nutrients for a longer period, but only for shorter time if deprived of air / water.

Almost all containers have a hole (or more) near the bottom section of the pot, to help in water drain. This hole (or holes) also serves the dual purpose of letting air into the container from the bottom. This being the case, wouldn't it be helpful to introduce a very thin layer of gravel at the bottom of container, to provide an air-cushion ? I am NOT talking about thick layering, which will reduce the available soil for rooting; nor talking about gravel that is substantially different in particulate size (compared to the 5-1-1 mix). [Elsewhere in a post [(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/should-i-put-gravel-on-the-bottom-dsvw-vd~1380765) Tapala has mentioned that sizes upto 2.2X the soil particulate may not impede drainage. So, let us say we have gravel in the range of 2.5X to 5X the particulate size of soil (perhaps pumice or lava rock pebbles in the range of 1/4" to 1/2" ?) .... This will provide the thin layer of air cushion at bottom, which i propose as beneficial.

The benefit of the air cushion is two fold.

1. The entire bottom surface of the soil is now exposed to air, facilitating better air porosity, which is the critical idea behind 5-1-1 mix. Without conducting a scientific experiment (or having any plant biology classes at university), I contend that there will be more air porosity in soil, with a very thin layer of gravel at bottom. If you consider a 12 inch (or more) soil depth, the impact of 0.25 inches at bottom is only 2% (max). Even at 0.5 inches of gravel, we loose only 4% (max) for root development. Without this air, water porosity maybe higher, especially in the bottom center areas of the pot. With the introduction of this air cushion, i contend that the air porosity will increase in the bottom/center area.
  2. As a side effect, we also get better drainage at bottom - but only in cases where the entire pot is saturated with water, and PWT is not the issue any longer. For example, after saturation plant watering the pot will reach a desirable water level sooner, due to easier evaporation (in addition to the drainage).

This air cushion would be especially effective in fabric pots, where the bottom surface of fabric is now in contact with air, rather than being in contact with solid ground that eliminates air contact. I hope to hear comments from the educated / experienced here.

Comments (11)