SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmerchant1

Arc lamp over sectional or more traditional floor lamp?

Natalie Merchant
5 years ago

Hello! I am wondering what you think about an arc light over my couch? It would be standing in the exact spot that the current lamp is in. The current lamp is 60in. It is more for ambiance and design/making a statement in the room rather than function. I already have two ceiling fans with lights, a table lamp, and can lights around the room. I would love thoughts on a lamp that would look the best in this corner and although I love the statement that an arc has I'm wondering if it would look funny in this corner? I also have four young children and I don't want them bumping into it if they jump on the couch. :) And I am concerned about it interfering with the artwork on the wall. However, I think the arc lamp would make a really cool statement in my family room! Fun problems to have. :) Thank you so much for your help!!

Comments (36)

• Gcubed
    5 years ago
    Agree. Beautiful room. An arc lamp would fit in perfectly. BTW, where did you get the acrylic/fur ottoman?
    Natalie Merchant thanked Gcubed
  • Related Discussions

Arc or Arch Floor Lamp?

Q

Comments (15)
    This thread is really helpful for me, as well. I've been thinking of putting an arc lamp in the corner next to our game table in the LR. I had wodka's first post earmarked, along with some others. We are transitional, traditional, contemporary in that room. I think the arc lamps fit well, especially the bronze ones with traditional shades. What appeals to me for my purpose is that some of them are adjustable and don't have to extend quite as far, or you can set them back a ways and still get the light over your table. They will probably look dated way before other styles, but for now they're fresh and a little unexpected, which appeals to my sense of taste. I hope you find just the right one for your table,
    ...See More

Large Scale Floor Lamp that's not an Arc Lamp

Q

Comments (12)
    Glad we have helped. I would look for a designer who has experience and you could see their “lighting” work. A few things to ask to assess experience. 1. How do you approach lighting? Answer, some description of “layered lighting”. That means you need 4-5 types of lighting for best effect on look and use of space. Ambient, task, specialty, focused and feature lighting. Recessed lights provide general light. Lamps provide some ambient but also task lighting such as reading lamps. A dramatic light like you are considering would be considered “specialty” because it has a specific purpose namely drama. A light over art would be an example of focused or specialty lighting. If the person lists this type response, they have an appreciation for the strategy of lighting. Next, technical question. Ask about differences in LEDs and if they prefer one type, move on. You can use different bulbs and different colors and intensities. Electrical solutions are another part of a good analysis. That should give you some ideas for assessing if someone knows what they are talking about. Hope that helps!
    ...See More

help with empty space around living room sectional

Q

Comments (8)
    Accent lighting appears to be missing; your idea of a floor lamp at end of sofa is good. I think an arc lamp would be a bit overpowering--there are plenty of other transitional options--and lots of suggestions from houzzers if you ask. I would also place a small drink table in this space and lose the basket. Other suggestions: Move the mirror---it is distracting and not working as others have noted. Perhaps in your entry? Scoot your sectional further away from the wall---it appears there is sufficient open floor space. Open space is good and will help your room breathe and appear larger. Panel drapes behind sofa and new drapes of the same on your slider would be my next move. Mount them outside of framing (so inside edge is at the framing) and much higher--almost to the ceiling--- creates illusion of more space in your room. Consider art for between these windows once panels up. Looks comfy--enjoy good times and memories in your home.
    ...See More

art dimensions over sectional with tall ceilings

Q

Comments (30)
    Good on you. I think those tables will work. You might set each lamp on a book to make them a bit taller. The ottoman covered with the throw is a definite improvement, though I still think it's too large for the space. Now go look for some art. Look at local art fairs or online at art.com, gallerydirect.com, greatbigcanvas.com, icanvas.com, society5.com, minted.com... That's probably enough sources to get you started. ;-)
    ...See More
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Allmodern, love how you can adjust it. Doonan arched lamp
    Natalie Merchant thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Beautiful space. I definitely think the current lamp feels oddly placed in that corner.

The sectional is a little off-sized for the space. Could we please see more photos of the room? I'd like to see the 2 walls we have not seen. I am wondering if the sectional could be turned. Thanks.

Natalie Merchant thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    5 years ago

Yes to arc lamp.

Natalie Merchant thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

Yes to the arc lamp. Lamps provide much softer, less harsh lighting. More lamp light will prompt you to turn off the fan lights. Your room is lovely and does not look like 4 kids live there.

Natalie Merchant thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • PRO
    Jenni Leasia Interior Design
    5 years ago

We think an arc lamp would look great in your space. Perhaps something like this?

Midcentury Great Room · More Info

Natalie Merchant thanked Jenni Leasia Interior Design
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I actually like an arc lamp that has a head that sits over the coffee table it adds light where it is hard to get light.This is the one I have and the one I like the best. It has a marble base so very heavy and not likely to be tipped over.

Natalie Merchant thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • User
    5 years ago

The current floor lamp is too small for the furniture. You need a larger shade. I would recommend a sofa table behind the sectional (assuming you are leaving the furniture placement as is) and get a nice large table lamp.

Natalie Merchant thanked User
  • Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input and recommendations! I appreciate all of them! I am almost convinced that the arc lamp is the way to go. :) I love the look but am still a little concerned about it overwhelming my living room. I see a lot of the lamps standing on the sides of a sectional but hardly ever behind the corner. Im worried it may fall at a strange point. I should just bite the bullet and buy one. Love that Kendrah said it’s the “cherry on top” bc after this decision, I am pretty much done with this room! Thank you all so much for your help! Gargigg, I got the acrylic/fur ottoman at Homegoods! My all time favorite purchase from there. You just never know what you will find. :) Will post more pics of room once I clean up a bit bc right now you can def tell four kids live here. :)

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the lamps that were recommended to me but I found a few more. I am thinking gold bc of my pictures. I thought I wanted one with a shade since i want it more for ambient light but the other arc lamp with the gold metal shade is fun too. The other lamps are the non arc that I think may look nice too. I wish I was a better decision maker! Your opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Gcubed
    5 years ago
    I have this in my LR bc I don’t have overhead lighting. It is adjustable which is great so it creates “center” lighting and extend over the corner of my lounger. It is plug in but I used a cord cover and painted it the color of my wall.
    Natalie Merchant thanked Gcubed
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Natalie, I agree with you that any lamp in that corner feels offsetting. I feel the positioning of your sectional and rug could be tweaked, but need more photos of the room.

I can't really give you further advice without additional photos. Thanks.

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    5 years ago

More pics of living room, CDR Design. Love that extendable overarching sconce! That is so cool! Thank you for sharing!

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are some more pics! Thank you for your

help!

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I did not mean to post this many pics. I didn’t think the first ones went through. Geez. Thank you...

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I think an arc lamp with that ceiling fan will just look wrong. Choose one or the other, not both.

I would also pull the chairs out of the corners a bit more.

Natalie Merchant thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Thanks for all of the photos! The sectional is just so large for the space. Do you like having the tv that high? (I understand with kids you might have a practical reason you chose the sectional).

Option 1

I would move the sectional forward, toward the fireplace. I would also consider moving it out from the window some. Then, I'd turn the rug in the other direction, if possible. I'd move the orange chair to the left side of the fireplace and remove the blue chair.

Option 2

If you are in a position to buy a new sofa, move tv to picture wall. Face new sofa to tv wall.

Option 3

New sofa. Face sofa toward fireplace. 2 chairs by fireplace.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for this mock up, groveraxle! I needed to see this in order to realize that it is probably too much for my room being that I have two ceiling fans with lights. It was so nice of you to do this for me! Thank you again!! And thank you for the Options CDR!! I cannot buy a new couch at this time but I do love the options and will consider all of them when we are able to buy a new one. I don't really like the color anyway. I will def pull the couch forward and away from the window and perhaps I will move the orange chair to the other side. I never thought about that! Do you think the two mismatched chairs look funny or is it just too much? If I move the orange chair to the other corner and remove the blue chair, should I leave the fiddle fig tree and have that be the only thing in the corner that the orange chair is in now? :) Thank you all SO much for your help!!!! I really appreciate it!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Yes to one chair on the left side pulled closer to the sofa and the fiddleleaf fig alone in the corner.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

I am not a fan of arched lamps.

Natalie Merchant thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Yes, Natalie. I am not concerned about the mismatching chairs. My concern is, once you move the sectional closer to the fireplace, there will be no room for the chair on that side.

Also, overall, there are too many dark, large pieces in the space,. So, removing a darker chair and leaving just the tree will lighten things up.

I think you will be surprised how this move will really change things.

I also recommend removing the dark chair from across the butler's pantry. It really is serving no function and is just adding more bulk. I'd put a full length mirror there. The mirror you have there really lightens things up.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Once you move the sectional, you can consider a console in back of the sectional with a pair of low lamps and even a couple of ottomans. This will bring some light to that area, without an overbearing arc lamp.

• Therese R
    5 years ago

following-

• kaye1951
    5 years ago

Following

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh wow, cdr! Do you have a name, btw? :) all of your suggestions are awesome! Little did I know that I was going to have a whole new room after asking about a floor lamp! Thank you for taking the time and for all of your suggestions! a few more questions, if you don’t mind. moving the couch forward will make the pictures off center since I have them centered on the couch/not wall. Do i center then on wall instead? And i do have a really hard time with that corner across from

th butlers pantry and do love mirror there esp a full length mirror! But we do use that big blue chair a lot. def not one of my finer purchases but my husband would kill me if I got rid of it now. I actually bought the “burnt sienna” / orange leather chair for that corner but it looked funny so I moved it to the corner with the fiddle fig. Ugh. One day I will get rid of that chair And put a full length mirror there! I love that idea! Do I need anything else in that corner with the full length like a small chair or stool or just the mirror? And i Will need a small Side table to go with the leather chair if I put it In the other corneR. Marble top/wooden legs? Brass table? Lamp oN top? It takes me sooo long to figure all of this stUff out bc I don’t have the vision...trial and error are my thing. :) I cannot thank you enough for all of your expertise! it Has been fun envisioning your changes! Now I just have to have my husband help move the coucH. :) thank you again!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Natalie. My name is "Clare". Happy to help. to answer your questions. Don't beat yourself up, you've done a great job pulling together the space and you have good taste. You just need help with envisioning other possibilities and pulling things together.

Art: Once you move the sectional, we'll be able to see how much room you have. I would definitely lean toward centering the art on that section of the wall. This might also be a location for 2 lamps. They would be narrow lamps on either side of the pieces of art.

Chair by butler's pantry. No, you need nothing there except the mirror. (I spend a lot of time with clients removing items as opposed to adding them, so it is a common misconception that more is needed, where in fact, less is often better). However, I did want to address that you said you use that chair often. May I ask for what? I don't want your husband disappointed. We could come up with another solution. Once the sectional is moved, that space will feel more open. You could consider a couple of bar stools there and place a mirror on the wall next to the art. We'll have to see how it all washes out.

Wing chair: It appears you have a table-lamp combination next the the current left-side chair. I think that might work out just fine. You can even try the ottoman with the wing chair (not sure if it is too wide). That is such a nice statement piece.

You can move the sectional yourself perhaps by taking it apart and using furniture sliders under the feet. Let us know how things go!

Here is a family room that I recently designed. (Similar to yours, they had the sectional against the wall). I brought it to the center and added furniture and decor. This may help you envision the possibilities.

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh Clare, you are just amazing! Thank you so much for all of your help with this room! I am excited to make these changes! This may sound like a silly question, but before I start to move furniture, I wanted to ask why you think I should turn the rug in the other direction? Will it make the room look larger and not so long? The chair in the corner is really comfy so it tends to be the place my husband or I sit in the most. More comfy than couch or the other chairs. :) I love the family room that you recently designed! The console in back with the bar stools is so cool! Cannot thank you enough for all of your wonderful recs!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Hi.

Rug: It really depends on where you end up placing the sectional exactly. Right now, I don't like that the rug sits halfway in the walkway toward the sectional. If you move the sectional forward and center it on the fireplace, you very well could just leave the rug almost exactly where it is.

These are the things I fully think through in a floor plan.

Question: when you say "corner chair" that is comfortable, you are speaking of the chair by the bar? If so, you could consider moving that to the left of the fireplace. However, you'll have all dark furniture. But you could add a light pillow. Also, that chair by the bar looks small. It might look diminutive in that spot by the fireplace.

Thanks.

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Clare/CDR Design (and all): I hope you are doing well! I hope you don't mind me reaching out again. I apologize I never replied or thanked you for the last post you wrote. Just recently I decided to start "obsessing" over the look of our living room AGAIN and what it is that drives me nuts. And, holy cow, the changes you suggested made most of my angst about my living room cease! First, changing the direction of the rug...wow! That made the world of difference! It made it seem bigger and finally more cohesive. The rug "or something I couldn't put my finger on" seemed so out of place and wrong. Just that little change did the trick and now it's not so annoying to look at for me. :) I would have never thought about the rug direction if it wasn't for you. So, thank you!! Second, I moved the couch forward and away from the wall. Looks SO much better! I wish I could get a different couch b/c it is so big and I don't like the color however that will have to stay for now. Third, I was inspired by your rendering of the living room you designed and shared with me so I moved the arc lamp over the leather chair in the corner and "I think" it looks good?! Fourth, will def add a console behind the couch instead of a floor lamp! LOVE that idea! Fifth, I moved the orange chair to the left of the fireplace and removed the blue chair however, the orange chair is a bit smaller and seems insignificant and a little odd in that corner (maybe b/c it really doesn't match any of the colors in the rug/room). :) The blue chair just seems like a better fit in that corner (to me). And, there is still room for the orange chair in the other corner even though I moved the couch forward a bit. My kids told me that the couch was too close to the TV when I moved it forward even more than it is now. I think it was b/c they had to crane their necks a bit (hence your wondering if we could move the TV to the other wall...) b/c it is a little high. WIth all of that said, I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am for all of your suggestions! You hit the nail on the head with all of them and were the first person who actually gave me thoughtful and helpful advice! I have asked a lot of friends (many talented decorators in their own homes but not professionally) for their opinions and no one ever gave me such solid advice and recommendations as you. You truly are so gifted!! And have the most amazing vision! Clare, you have brought me this far - I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me finish this project so that I can FINALLY look at this room and think, "YES!" I love this!" I need to be done thinking so much about it! LOL! If you do not have time, then please no worries at all! I am so appreciative of all the advice you have given me already! I'll include my questions here just so you have them and then include pics of the room as it is now in another post but again, please no worries if you aren't able to answer them at this time.

1) Would a different, more neutral rug pull the room together more? Or should I keep the current one I have and work with it?

2) Arch lamp over chair? I also have one that has a gold metal 12" shade that I haven't put together yet. If you like arch lamp over chair instead of the tree next to the chair, metal or white shade?

3) Do I need another arch lamp in the other corner? If so, matching? If not, table lamp or no lamp?

4) Material of console in back of couch? Wood, black, gold metal? Thinking an 8" or 10" W and at least 56" length?

5) PILLOWS!!! My biggest dilemna. There are so many options and I don't know if I should stick with blue/cream/white or add another color!?

Thank you SO much for taking the time to read this (if you do) and for everything!!

• Natalie Merchant
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Playing with pillow options for the chairs :)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Natalie, thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy to help. Most of my clients are e-clients, so I spend most of my day looking at photos online and recreating spaces through 3d renderings.

First, thanks for being so organized and numbering your questions. That is very helpful, especially since this thread goes back a little. First, I'll answer your questions, but below, I'll also address the tv height, which is a problem.

1) Rug. I think the tone and pattern of the rug is fine. Sectionals present a lot of issues in design. Rugs are just one. The rug feels a little odd protruding left from the sectional. However, with a smaller rug, the chair to the left of the fireplace is ignored and the rug would have to be tiny. One solution would be to buy a round rug. This would add more round lines to the room, meet the sectional at its end, yet curve out to visually "stretch" the room wider. However, (see below), we will explore the tv in another location and/or I don't know when you'd be buying a sofa, so don't know if this would be a cost-effective move for you now.

In short, the sectional is large and dark and is really dominating the room, lovely as it is. You've done a great job with what you have.

If you don't buy sofa, how does the sectional come apart? 3 pieces?

2) The eye tends to like larger on the left. It has to do with how we read. The orange chair stands out because it is taller and brighter. So, I would put the orange chair on left and blue on the right. If the blue does not fit on the right, then leave them.

3) Lamp. I would put the taller lamp on the left and the shorter one on the right. I'd like to see the gold shade. That might be fun.

4) Back of sectional table. Since it is so close to the entrance, is there enough room? If enough room, I'd put something that visually sort of disappears. You don't want your eye landing on that. It should span most of the back----so at least 75 percent of the back and any chairs should tuck underneath.

5) Pillows: I think your pillows are fine. I think I'd take that white one from the blue chair and put it in the corner of the sectional. I'd remove the blue one with the horizontal stripe.

Hope that helps.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

TV issue. I don't know if we discussed this, but the tv is very high. Some people lie down and watch tv, so they are okay with it. It sounds like it is an issue in your space.

Option 1) You could take the tv where it is now and lower it. Maybe not a ton of help, but would help some.

Option 2) Move tv here to this half wall. Sectional would be taken apart and made into a sofa and placed along the window wall or simply move back to original position. Corner may have to be placed in another room. It might seem low to you, but really it is not.

Betsy · More Info

Option 3) TV placed on this wall. Again, I would recommend taking apart the sectional and making it into a sofa. A "hall" would be created behind the sofa for foot traffic.

1Temporary · More Info

See the "hall" created behind sofa?

Open Living Room · More Info

You might play around with this and see if you like any of the options. Let me know what you think, Natalie!