SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

House addition question: where should we add on?

newenglandsara2
4 years ago

Hi All,

We are hoping to add onto our house, and I would love some input on where to focus our efforts. I am including a floor plan of both levels of our house. We have three kids, and these are the things we are looking to achieve:

*a study/guest room space

*a second floor laundry room to replace the current laundry closet (that is not well vented in the center of the house)

*a better master bedroom closet space

*possibly a sitting area in/adjacent to our small master bedroom (not a big priority)

*possibly a garage that is more user-friendly (our current two car garage has very old doors and is not really sized for our larger family cars

Side detail: we need to redo our master shower completely since the original tile job was not done correctly and created a leak/mold issue. Also, our current laundry closet is not working well due to venting issues and needing to leave the front loader door open all the time (making it impossible close the closet doors to the laundry space.)

We have 2-3 possible options:

1) We can turn our screened-in porch (adjacent to our family room) into a study/family room and then build above it to provide a laundry room, better closet and possibly master bedroom nook. If setbacks allow, we could extend the porch footprint until just before the first window in our family room. The worry with this option is that the study/guest room would be adjacent to the loudest room in the house (the family room) and that it might be awkward to access new space near our master bedroom due to the existing set-up. There might be a lot of wasted space, but maybe it could be worked out.

2) We could turn our small two car garage into a one car garage plus storage space/stairs to a second floor addition above the garage. This would provide a much more private guest room/study space, but it would not solve the laundry/master closet issue. It also might be pricier, especially if we choose to put a 3/4 bathroom up there.

3) We could add above the garage and break through our smallest existing bedroom (#4) to make the new space accessible through our regular stairs. Maybe we could somehow solve everything this way, but I am not sure how (and this might be the priciest option.) We also have a kitchen skylight on the flat roof right outside bedroom #4, and we would hate to lose that.

We are trying to figure out what would be best for resale, what would be priciest vs. cheapest, and what would satisfy our wish list the best. I welcome input from others with experience!

Thanks!

Comments (12)