SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shwshw

Hallway Help !!

shwshw
4 years ago

I have done nothing to my hall for 25 years, except put new knobs on the hall cupboards and prep it for paint.

I have 2 wool oriental rugs and two small light fixtures that are 25 years old

I started a redesign around the idea of using the original rugs for 2 reasons;

1. they are wool and I thought replacing would be too expensive,

2. I wanted to use the same BM Muslin paint I had leftover from the living room. and the rugs would look fine with that color

Issue 1, is that although my rugs may still have a lot of life in them, I just don’t love them,

especially the color.

Issue 2, When I took out the BM Muslin paint, there was not very much left and it has

hardened.

Issue 3, our ceilings are only 8’.

I realized that if I was not forced to use existing paint just to “use it up” that I was free to a find a new paint color and new rugs.

I just started painting the woodwork; Behr Ultra Pure White High Gloss. I know some of the designers hate high gloss, but just I love it.

I am currently looking at 2 matching rugs that I may purchase. They are both wool and in colors that I love.

If I buy those rugs, I will pick a neutral paint color that compliments them

I just ordered new bulbs so my existing ceiling light will be brighter, but it would be fun to replace one or both of them. In my floor plan the lights are centered between D&C and between A,F,E.

Most important, I am on a tight budget.

I would love help with rugs, paint and lighting.

Comments (2.1K)

• DD Deco
    last year

Lacking in mine too, Lyn!! 🙄😂 Hi Shwshw! 😎

• lynartist
    last year

And yet I visualize quite well as the plumber who installed my new sink yesterday found out and ran into a couple problems 🤦‍♀️. Perhaps I should have gotten a discount for the help I gave😂

• DD Deco
    last year

Lisa, I must have missed the debunking or refinement of the right brain left brain theory…any chance you have a source as I am interested!

• ladma
    last year

Have you seen the video of the woman who draws with both hands and feet AT THE SAME TIME?!? Let me see if I can find a link

• Lisa SW
    last year

DD , where to begin!?! Debunking was an off-handed remark and my reference point is educational theory/practice. I don’t have a single source because in education right brain/left brain was the hot topic of the 80s and has been replaced numerous times since. By the 90s we were talking “multiple intelligences", an improvement since we were now pigeon-holing the human brain into seven categories instead of two. When I left education we were talking "whole brain" theory. What tends to happen is that some very lucky researcher manages to get published in the popular rather than academic press and the work is promoted by the publisher on Oprah or today's version. A theory that explains a small fraction of the workings of the human brain takes off, becomes a permanent part of our lexicon, and half the superintendents in the country buy the book as a "welcome back to school" gift for staff. Another decade, another theory…rinse and repeat. Educators are on laudable quest for the Holy Grail, but the human mind is far more complicated — and miraculous — than to be explained by a single theory.

• lynartist
    last year

Ladma! I can’t imagine how that woman’s brain works😳. Astonishing!

• James Halex
    last year

Thanks to all to share this information.

• Lisa SW
    last year

Truly remarkable. I’m ashamed I can’t even draw with my dominant hand! But now I’m off on a tangent wanting to watch "My Left Foot". I like Daniel Day-Lewis;-)

• lynartist
    last year

I believe you are right Lisa. How else can one explain the genius of a Leonardo Di Vinci or Michael Angelo when it’s obvious they were able to use both sides of their brains! I think the theory right/left brain is over simplified and science may have no real explanation how some people excel at certain tasks while others cannot!

• Lisa SW
    last year
    last modified: last year

Somethings are meant to be admired and are best left unexplained! When used in the vernacular — as I obviously do — left/right brain provides a simple framework to understand our different wirings. Ah, but how boring if we actually managed to unlock the working of the brain. I want to remain awed by those Renaissance (wo)men.

• HU-222562700
    last year

Hi shwshw! I am just watching…and your pears are a lovely piece of art!

• shwshw
    Original Author
    last year

Ohhhh… look what I missed. My husband and I took one of those left/right brain tests. And then went to a free seminar sponsored by Polaroid. It was very fun. It was based on your thinking preferences. Nothing scientific. Thanks for reminding me.

• shwshw
    Original Author
    last year

Linda, thank you for the compliment.

• Lisa SW
    last year

Yeah, as long as there aren’t harmful consequences junk science can be fun! Dating myself, but I remember the right/left brain quizzes in Cosmo!

• lynartist
    last year

I wonder what science would say about my granddaughter who watches tv like this😂

• Lisa SW
    last year
    last modified: last year

Scientists would have nothing to say, but pop psychologists would offer plenty.

• Lisa SW
    last year

Btw, I was once a master at head standing. I was going to give it a try but realized after several decades and a couple of glasses of wine that might not be a smart move.

• lynartist
    last year

😂today was her 5th birthday! Since she was able to read her birthday cards I guess I shouldn’t worry too much😂‼️

• Lisa SW
    last year

Happy birthday sweet girl!!! Some pictures dont capture how beautiful those granddaughters are

• Seajay Sparkles
    last year

Happy birthday, sweetheart‼️

Lyn, give her a pen and paper with some math problems and see if she can solve them. 😂🤣

• Lisa SW
    last year

You know, I'm a divergent thinker who has developed strong mathematical and analytical skills. I wont need the pen and paper and will stand on my feet.

• lynartist
    last year

Pen&paper Seajay? She has an I-pad😂

• lynartist
    last year

She and her sister help me with the tv! They know how to get all the premium channels 🤦‍♀️. Me? Not so much!

• Lisa SW
    last year

And a brain! When Chef was interviewing for her new job they told her that much of curating was administrative and mundane "No problem," she told them. "I inherited my parents' love of Excel."

• lynartist
    last year

Thanks for the good wishes ladies ♥️ I hope I can keep up with them🤦‍♀️‼️

• Seajay Sparkles
    last year

I was joking about doing math problems while standing on one’s head. So, yeah, she can do them on her iPad while she’s watching TV. 🤣😎

• Lisa SW
    last year

I know you were joking but it reminds me of texts I received this week. Should Whisp advise her student to take inorganic chemistry or calculus? Oops mom…wrong thread.

• lynartist
    last year

😂I was thinking more along the lines of drawing with the right side of her brain Seajay but I may be getting ahead of myself!!!

• Lisa SW
    last year

I’m lost but that won’t prevent me from adding trivia. Right/left brain in part traces back to Victorian literature — Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Very Scientific. Yeah, I should go to bed.

• shwshw
    Original Author
    last year

Lol Ladies! Glad you are having fun. We started painting our deck today….

• lynartist
    last year

Now that sounds like fun!

• Molly
    last year

Hi shwshw, how did the deck turn out? Is your DH back to 100%?

• shwshw
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Molly. I just saw this. The deck is done we made it just in time to get to hang out on it before the weather changes. My bionic husband is doing well. So nice of you to ask. Here’s a pic of part of the deck. I decided to paint a Mandal from a stencil. My first time using a stencil. It’s a learning curve, but still happy with the results. Hope you are well

• shwshw
    Original Author
    last year

and one more showing the other side.

• Seajay Sparkles
    last year

Looks wonderful TICL. Hope you’re well.

• Nora Lambert
    last year

That looks like a lot of added living space TICL. Miss you, hope we will be hearing more from you. Glad Bionic man is doing well!😳

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

That is beautiful! So happy to hear your hubby is doing well. Hope you are too! Is that wrist doing OK? How are your horses doing?

• shwshw
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Seajay, Nora, and Flo. Happy retirees here, sound and healthy. Ready to enjoy our retirement. Hugs to all

• happyleg
    last year

Looks good & love the rug!

• Molly
    last year

Looks great shwshw! Hope you get to enjoy it a bit longer. 🙂

• DD Deco
    last year

Shwshw, This is the first picture I have seen of the outside of your house and it is just beautiful!! I LOVE the shingles with color!! Quite the fancy Chicken coup 😁😉 And your stencil - so fun and creative! 👏💕 So glad to hear you are both “sound and healthy” and enjoying life - well deserved after those crazy hard years ❤️😎🥂

shwshw thanked DD Deco
  • DD Deco
    10 months ago

It is beautiful Shwshw!!! We miss natural lawns out here in So Cal! 😭

shwshw thanked DD Deco
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    10 months ago

Shwshw!! Beautiful! I know how much work it takes to get a lawn looking that pretty. So good to see you back here. Any other projects you have completed without our input?!? Lol. Thanks for posting. Been missing you! Hope all your injuries are long healed!

shwshw thanked Flo Mangan
  • shwshw
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Hi Flo! All the house projects are done. Now I am working on my yard. i am trying to grow a wildflower field in the rest of my side yard. Most of the seeds I have planted (admittedly not exactly following instructions) for the last 3 years have not come up. This year I started seedlings. Time will tell. planting for butterflies, humming birds, and bees . i have succeeded in making it look wild. Still working on the flower part Lol.

• ladma
    10 months ago

Wildflower gardens are hard, because you have to get rid of the weeds first.

• shwshw
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Or, my theory, embrace them. 😂

• Nora Lambert
    10 months ago

Hi shwshw! miss you! Your yard is looking great. Hope you and Mr are doing good.

• shwshw
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Hi Nora. 😍