SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rorycn

Not feeling either of these lamps

Rory (Zone 6b)
4 years ago

I have tried both of these lamps on the buffet and don't feel either is a good choice. I do need some lighting in this room other than the chandelier. Does anyone have any suggestions that would swing this room more eclectic and away from traditional? I am installing cream linen-type drapes on the windows but I don't have the rod up yet.

Comments (106)

• Gigi Karns
    4 years ago

This room is looking better and better. If you can store the 2 blue chairs in another room, I'd remove them. It adds weight to that wall and takes the eye away from the focal point - which is the table and beautiful chandelier.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Gigi Karns
  • Ginny Lester
    4 years ago

Room is looking much better with chairs moved and buffet arrangement. I would turn mirror vertically as well. If it is in the budget or if hubby or you are handy consider adding panel moldings below chair rail and painting the chair rail and everything below it the same white color as all your trim. We did this to our dining room and great room years ago and still get compliments. It would break brighten up the room.

Also if you do go with buffet lamps I wouldn't do scones. Seems like too many lighting type of things on one wall.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Ginny Lester
  • Related Discussions

Bedroom Refresh- Feeling a Little Lost

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for the replies so far. I started looking at white/cream curtains and found some I really like. I showed them to my husband and he reminded me that the window faces east and the morning sun is intense. The window is something like 96" wide, so a lot of light and heat can be let in. We have such dark curtains now that I forgot all about that. I need something darkish and lined, or white/ cream panels with a blackout lining. I can't believe I forgot that - I guess I got a little caught up in color and forgot about practicality. Oops. I'm taking out the builder grade faux wood blinds we have and using sheers along with whatever curtains I end up with. I guess the question comes down to getting the blue curtains (lined or blackout lined) and either replacing the bathroom rug or dealing with it as is, or trying to find white or cream curtains with a blackout lining.
    ...See More

I either need affirmation or reality check, should I get this??

Q

Comments (12)
    Since you would be using the duvet cover for your summer bedding, you don't even have to buy a duvet. (There! I saved you money! Now you can buy it.) When I used a duvet cover, I used a down comforter inside during the winter and nothing inside during the summer. It's just like a coverlet, with a big pocket inside ;-). The duvet cover you show would look gorgeous in the summer with blue or green shams ... You could even find some rusty-red shams and let it take you right into fall. I just love mix-and-match bedding. If you buy it, you have to post a new picture!
    ...See More

Should I feel blue over Feeling Blue???

Q

Comments (18)
    blue is a wax coating on the leaf .... new growth is always bluest ... and then it starts wearing off ... lawn sprinklers ... rain ... especially when hot .. and wax is soft .. the blue also reflects the sky ... so color changes on cloudy days ... and when taking pix.. the bluest pic will be taken at dusk ... when the sky flashes pink ... i cant believe the 2 and 3rd pix are the same plant ... it looks just fine ... the top most needles ... must have taken a hit at transplant ... it will look much better .... after it leafs out for spring ... ken
    ...See More

Why does this arc lamp feel off?

Q

Comments (12)
    Watch your scale here. I think you'll find that the bistro height table and coffee table aren't really working together. The table and stools look suitable for snacking, but not for comfortable dining. They appear to be taller than the back of the sofa, so scale there is off too. Consider a lift top coffee table that converts for dining or working, especially if you're just a survival cook and don't really prepare fancy meals or entertain. If you do entertain, a standard height table and chairs can also take advantage of an arc lamp when you have guests to dine.
    ...See More
  • John Di Marzio
    4 years ago

Hi, I am Filomena from Montreal,
    The room looks great! The colour choices are beautiful.
    To make the room look a little more airy I suggest to paint the border the same colour as the ceiling as well as the bottom half. Add some light linen drapes, same couloir as the ceiling...and the first set of lamps on the buffet work best. I love the chandelier.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked John Di Marzio
  • kblueke
    4 years ago

I like the drum

lamps. They don’t take away from chandelier which is what you want.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked kblueke
  • granny4ten
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your room is looking so much better! I agree with some others about raising the chandelier and moving the chairs that are against the wall.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked granny4ten
  • who? me?
    4 years ago

I wouldn't put lamps on the Buffet. They take up too much valuable real estate.

I'd rather have that surface for serving during a dinner party and/or displaying something meaningfully personal the rest of the time.

I'd go with sconces, can lights, floor standing lamps, whatever. Just not table lamps.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked who? me?
  • Gaylene Gregory
    4 years ago

I would suggest the 2nd pair, clean & simple ,leave open feel & would not compete with Chandelier.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Gaylene Gregory
  • J M
    4 years ago

I agree with many of the comments. I feel the room is soo heavy — the browns and also the amount of stuff happening.
    Do you need the lamps? I would also get rid of that mirror - perhaps place it on the wall at the end of your table - or the basement for now, and align the photos on the back wall. Celebrate your chandelier :). I might even consider chalk painting your upholstered chairs white :) I have had similar issues with my dinning room for years - Best of Luck.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked J M
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

Rory, your dining room is just about there. Hem the drapes. I love the ginger jar. Beautiful rug. Candlesticks work. Blue chairs much better at the ends and against the walls. Wood chairs airy and light.
    Your room is ready for a dinner party!

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked felizlady
  • morabona
    4 years ago

Buffet lamps or candlesticks get my vote

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked morabona
  • ivyrocks
    4 years ago

How about wall sconces? They do require professional installation but they give a room a fabulous upgraded look and come in many styles to match your furniture and other lighting.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked ivyrocks
  • Kyle Lafleur
    4 years ago

How about wall sconces?

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Kyle Lafleur
  • lovemyboys2
    4 years ago

Beautiful room. Looking at a room over time can give you great ideas and I have read many great ideas. My only concern is that in every picture I look at, the first thing I see is the light fixture. Love this fixture and all the sparkle it would bring to the room, could you raise the light a bit higher so that you can see clearly to the other side of the room? i get the feeling that if someone is standing on the other side of the table, they would have to lean down to see who comes into the room. Lighting can be such a wonderful way to add character to decor, and this one has great character. Just a bit higher to open up the room.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked lovemyboys2
  • Kathleen K
    4 years ago

I like your changes. I do think stacking the prints vertically would look good and raising the light fixture. Try using a couple S hooks in the chain to see if you like it higher. I love the ginger jar and candles so the lamps might crowd them. Maybe smaller shades would help. Could a low lamp or up light in the center bounce enough light off the mirror? Then the vase could be on the table and the plant by the ginger jar.
    A tree in the corner with an up light could add light and texture.
    As long as it is things you love it doesn't matter if it is called eclectric or traditional.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Kathleen K
  • Jora
    4 years ago

Personally the 'only' place I like table lamps are on nightstands.

I would replace the table lamps with wall scones (complimenting the chandelier).

1. Either lowering the pictures on the back wall, and placing wall scones above the picture frames (ideally replace the picture frames with pictures that have color in them complimenting that gorgeous rug under the dinning table
    2. Removing the picture frames altogether and just placing two wall scones on either sides of the mirror
    3. Move upholstered chairs at either ends of the table, and the less fancier ones in the middle
    Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Jora
  • Grace O' Malley
    4 years ago

I think something tall and skinny would be better suited or even sconces instead.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Grace O' Malley
  • r k
    4 years ago

As an 'old-timer' (I have not read all 72 comments - waaay too many) I see several issues right off the bat. !st: chandelier is too low and blocking the mirror on the wall. 2nd: the lamps don't work because they are fighting with the picture lineup (everything is the same height). So add interest by rematting the prints (or repainting the frames) & making groupings instead of lining them up in marching formation. Once you move the prints you can concentrate on interesting (texture/color/design?) lamps that are not as bold as your mirror. 3rd: Place 2 bulky upholstered chairs at each end of table so you can see the beautiful furniture as you walk in. Your dining room is not big enough to accommodate 4 of those chairs. 4th: Lighten up the walls to accent the beautiful woodgrain of your case goods. 5th: Sheer drapery please. Do not obscure the light that comes in.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked r k
  • Dolores DeLuise
    4 years ago

I have not read all comments. very welcoming room. I think if you can't or don't want to spring for the buffet lamps, paint one of your choices in gold or copper. I think sheer floor to ceiling curtains the same color as the wall would add to the ambience. Love the ginger jar and chandelier. I would love to see a piece of sculpture or something sculptural. If it were my room, I would give myself another surface or two for candlesticks, pottery, a plant or so, etc.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Dolores DeLuise
  • judygilpin
    4 years ago

The last photo you posted looks great, EXCEPT for the runner and tiny plant in the white pot. Why not get a large Asian style bowl to blend with the blue & white ginger jar. You can fill the bowl with some great wicker or greenry orbs.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked judygilpin
  • Lynn G
    4 years ago

They are too high - they are interfering with the art work. Do you even need lamps there? Maybe candles would be better.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Lynn G
  • mdenton2014
    4 years ago

The latest image is nice, but, it seems to me, the four framed pictures may do well on the wall across from the window. I think it would allow an observer to scan the whole room in interest instead of overwhelming them on one focal point. I wouldn’t hang them evenly either. I’d hang them equidistance apart, but some higher and some lower.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked mdenton2014
  • B B
    4 years ago

Put chandelier on a dimmer switch, no lamps. 4 prints stacked each side of mirror. Long, low, skinny wood tray on table with succulents. No runner or shorter one to match drapes. Move chairs from front of table to open up. Trim edges of drapes with red or blue shade from carpet. If you don’t need all the chairs regularly, keep 4, put the others away.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked B B
  • Heather
    4 years ago

You mentioned the lamps for more light and I think that's practical. as another poster mentioned, recessed lights are great. we had our house retrofitted with 4 and it was only a few hundred bucks (including supplies and labor).

if looking for a more economical solution, I think only the right side (away from the window) needs the additional light. By going with only one lamp, you'll get some asymmetry that would lend itself to the eclectic tone you were looking for.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Heather
  • Eleanor Alperton
    4 years ago

A floor uplight may give you the additional light you want. You can put it behind a plant. I just did this in my dining room.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Eleanor Alperton
  • dianamm1
    4 years ago

There are many good ideas here. One I haven't seen is removing the mirror completely. You could group your set of four prints in sets of two forming a vertical rectangle where the mirror is. I would definitely raise the chandelier. It seems to be blocking the view of the wall above the buffet. This might also cast a bit more light on the upper half of the room. I love the idea of replacing the chairs in the corners with tall plants or, perhaps, a tall plant in the corner near the window and either a tall set of corner shelves or a medium-tall corner shelf or stand upon which you could set either a small lamp to add a bit of supplemental light to the darker corner of the room or another, smaller, plant to continue your botanical theme.

As it is, most of the items in the room seem to be low and horizontal. I believe that adding tall items in the corner and a vertical art arrangement, along with the chandelier about a third of the way closer to the ceiling rather than looming so closely over the table and getting rid of two heavy chairs will add the illusion of height and make the room seem brighter, more spacious and more restful.

I love that rooms are always a work in progress and you are progressing nicely. Good luck!

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked dianamm1
  • LaToya Amber
    4 years ago

I haven't read all of the posts but it does look much better after rearranging the chairs. I think the art work and the case are a good opportunity to add some contrast. Pull the red out of the rug and add a pop of color. Colored picture frames or a vase with red in it would help add dimension to the room.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked LaToya Amber
  • Cher Ferrouillet
    4 years ago

Was going to suggest rearranging the chairs. You did it already though!

Would also bring in more pops of color through tray or vase. For more of an electric look, use a brighter more contrasting color runner.

I would also have more colorful lamps.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Cher Ferrouillet
  • Deb Zilch
    4 years ago

stopping by and I like your current look especially how chandelier is central focus...

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Deb Zilch
  • Deb Zilch
    4 years ago

read idea for vertical placement of art, not imo, cause dark frames stand out, are part of strong horizontal in the room....might be disrupting

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow - I am surprised and pleased to see my OP pop up again. I have made several of the suggested tweaks to the room. As I make more I will post updates. I may add some wall sconces and will beef up the centerpiece on the table. I also like the idea of adding trim to the drapes.

Here is it as of today. Chairs on wall are covered because of cats that like to make a bed out of every upholstered surface.

• dianamm1
    4 years ago

The lighter color on the extra chairs already makes the room look less crowded.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked dianamm1
  • granny4ten
    4 years ago

The red vase on the buffet is too tall.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked granny4ten
  • Deb Zilch
    4 years ago

I like to experiment. seems red vase isnt needed, cause blue one adds so much. yes rug has red, but the rug adds much with wood on top and has its place/purpose enough imo.

• judygilpin
    4 years ago

Looks good, but I too, would remove the red vase.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked judygilpin
  • dspro73
    4 years ago

Rory, your dining room looks way better than mine! You're discovering the human nature of art, composition, and perception--everyone has a unique perspective! Here's my first impressions:

(1) the centered upholstered chairs are uninviting (visually "heavy" & "blocking") to the space. You've since solved that by moving those to the table ends. I don't care about the upholstered chairs on the wall on each side of the buffet except, negatively, they seem too faux for me (i.e. who would actually sit there and use them, people who aren't invited to the dining table?).

(2) The back wall is visually too busy/crowded from the perspective of your first pictures. Thus, smaller desk lamps (or candles) will look better, AND you could move the framed art slightly outward to reduce the visual crowding, because I assume the buffet is a fixed item. Slightly raising that wonderful chandelier might help.

The details of the wall art and rug are wholly unimportant to me.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked dspro73
  • dspro73
    4 years ago

And lose visual clutter like the red vase.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked dspro73
  • jjam
    4 years ago

I like the blue vase but would also skip the red one. Have you thought about trying the yellow chairs at the table and the others against the wall? I like the simplicity of the yellow ones and they look a bit taller so might match the height of your other ones. I also like your rug and have used that Karastan in several rooms of mine over the years. With your wall of windows, it works! I eventually sold mine because everywhere I tried it, it made everything look so dark. In your case, it doesn't, but it's also probably a good thing to keep accessories, etc., light to balance that out. You have a lovely room.

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked jjam
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The chairs against the wall are for extra seating when I extend the table. They are just covered in pillow cases and towels now because the cats lay on them all the time. They are the same as the blue chairs at the table heads. I could put them in the attic and bring them down when needed. I may do that and get a tall plant instead.

• jjam
    4 years ago

Ah, I see. They look taller there for some reason but my eyes must be playing tricks on me!

• dspro73
    4 years ago

Fair enough, regarding the extra chairs, I'd place them at the wall as you have, for easy retrieval.

• baileymot
    4 years ago

Like the upholstered chairs on the ends better and also like the idea of crystal lamps using a white shade. I am not fond of the 4 botanicals hanging horizontally by the picture --- maybe stack the pictures.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

The chandelier is too heavy, too large and too low. I was hoping to scroll down and see it gone.

• User
    4 years ago

I would also suggest raising the chandelier , and I would be tempted to replace the mirror with an artwork, perhaps removing the botanical prints entirely or arranging them differently. Hard to know someone else's taste in artwork, but I think the room's style and color palette is headed in the direction of art nouveau, so I would look for something from that period, or maybe Gustav Klimt's trees and garden paintings, or even just framing a section of historic wallpaper border (large, oversized)

• grgreer
    4 years ago

You need two wall sconces to either side of the mirror. I would center each one between the mirror and the end of the buffet on each side. Something simple and matching the metal of the chandelier.

• sunfeather
    4 years ago

Don't suppose there is room to turn the table and the chandelier in the other direction? Just a thought.

• Paige Hall
    4 years ago

Looks so much better but lose the red vase and replace the centerpiece on the table with something much bigger and not too tall. I would put sconces on either side of the table and not have all the pics lined up like a train!

• ravensmom13
    4 years ago

Please remember, this is MY opinion ONLY...LOL...first of all, KEEP the mirror...ANY light in the room will be reflected by it and lighten the room considerably.....next, IF the budget allows, PLEASE replace the 4 TALL wood chairs with ones with LOWER backs !! You are cutting off the "line of sight" with those tall chairs and it makes it look "choppy"...(( relegate the tall chairs to the attic for later use, possibly ))…..next, there ARE "battery operated" wall sconces available, so no wiring would need to be done...they work by remote control...choose ones that are dainty and have hanging crystals the same as in the chandelier to unify the area....ditch the 4 botanical prints and center the sconces to either side of the mirror....next, totally CLEAR OFF the buffet, and put ONE LARGE flower arrangement in the center ( stick with "muted colors" of flowers so it doesn't scream out at you, but is subdued and classy )…..and finally, add a classy table runner with a large crystal candleholder with hurricane shade in center of table with a crystal candlestick to either side of it...REMEMBER..."less is more"...clearing the buffet of everything except a flower arrangement makes it easier to clear off to accommodate serving dishes and looks less cluttered...same with candle pieces on table runner...when dining, YOU can choose to leave them and light them, or clear table off completely....your room has such a classy and subdued vibe ….what time is dinner and when should I arrive??? LOL...good luck with it all....

• msrmom
    4 years ago

Hi Rory, People are still commenting - because we love your room and the changes you have made. Love love the new placement of the chairs and your new curtains and the ginger jar... but those pretty botanical prints are just making the room even more traditional rather than eclectic.

Consider moving ALL of the prints to that wall opposite the windows and arranging them in a non-traditional way (like not all in a row or all stacked neatly, but rather staggered or in an “oval” or in something unexpected). This will also give a more clean modern look for the buffet wall.

For practical reasons you still may want lamps (or possibly wall sconces if you need the buffet space for parties). If you still have them, use those first lamps you had with the drum shades. But if you don’t, try to find something sculptural like those below (ignore the colors, it’s the shape).

Bottom of the chandelier should be at least 30” above the table and maybe even 34.”

Large fiddle leaf fig near the window planted in a wicker basket or a sleek ceramic rather than a more traditional pot.

Large low centerpiece for the table like round modern art glass or a low long rectangular planter with succulents.

Finally, fake stems are available to replace your crabapple branches and give a nice asymmetrical organic look.

• msrmom
    4 years ago

P.S. You might be interested in woven rattan roman shades under your curtains for nice contrast. And if you decide to do trim an inexpensive option is 2" or 3" grosgrain ribbon hot glued 1/2-1" from the inside edge.

• pkstanley
    4 years ago

I have been doing an eclectic look for years. Visitors to my home always comment on how contemporary it looks, but in reality most of my furniture is traditional! How do I accomplish this? It’s really quite simple. Simplicity! For your room, I would remove all of the accessories and start again. I believe that I saw two more pictures on another wall. Hang all six over buffet. I have a large contemporary painting over my traditional buffet, with wall sconces on either side. Since that is not in your budget at present, try the grouping. Put a large contemporary art glass or ceramic bowl in center of table. Preferably a color in your rug, but not blue. If you would like to have a large plant with an up light toward the window, I think that would also look nice. Please, no artificial plants or flowers. Also no other traditional accessories.
    The mirror could be painted a color and moved to the adjacent wall. I hope this helps you to jazz it up a little! Good luck!