SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aegis1000

LE Karusel (newly arrived from Lyndon Lyon) - April 2019

aegis1000
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

LE Karusel (Carousel) ... the plant to the right is me taking another shot at Pure Serenity.

I usually wait until I've grown a plant out to a second or third blooming before I show it, but Lyndon Lyon sent me such a nice plant, I just had to show it ...

Comments (19)

• fortyseven_gw
    5 years ago

Irina, your comment is "classic," or "vintage Irina!"

• irina_co
    5 years ago

I grow some LE (Elena Lebetskaya) plants, pretty happy with them.

2013 release. Everybody loves this variety - though the flowers are droppers.

Irina, the dinosaur (when you call a woman - vintage... )

• judy musicant
    5 years ago

That's me-vintage!

Aegis, I'm awaiting my own Karusel that I ordered from LL just a couple of days ago. It looks like they sent you a full grown plant!

• aegis1000
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It was one of the nicest (largest) plants I've gotten from Lyndon Lyon. Maybe you'll do as well ...

• irina_co
    5 years ago

They probably have a policy - the largest plant is sent first - for obvious reasons - before it gets too big to send - and Aegis probably opened the season on Carousels - they sent him their best.

• fortyseven_gw
    5 years ago

I had trouble editing, so I deleted my comment. I, too, ordered LE Carousel. Also, Hawaiian Dancer, Angelique and Gray Haired Duke. (I felt sorry for GHD. I don't think anyone else will order him. He looks vintage.) Yes, I am a dinosaur also, but 5 year old grandsons like dinosaur tee shirts and toys. So we are still in style.

Found a few problem plants, either with crunchy crowns or tiny crowns. They are isolated. I will wash, spray, and give them a month to improve.

Decided to donate my collection of 13 minis to the club. They are easy to grow. People like them.

Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    5 years ago

Irina, do you have any videos of the Moscow shows? I saw some a few years ago on You Tube that were like high glamour Hollywood or fashion run-way, rock star productions. A lot of technology and flashing lights were used. They were spectacular, so were the violets, and the ladies were also dressed in colorful evening gowns. The titles were in Russian so I do not know how to search. Joanne

• irina_co
    5 years ago

Do a google search on "выставка фиалок" on pics.

There is a difference... Russian shows - they do not thin the plant like we do... We judge baby leaves down, check for gaps... Russian hobbyists would appreciate the full head of bloom of course - but they sell leaves off the show plants. So at the beginning of the show - big plants, lots of leaves, at the end.. only center left.

Pink hearts on a pic - you can buy a whole plant... lets say for $12. Lower yellow stickers on the name of the plant - price for a leaf- $2.50 on LE-Esmeralda on a left. Small yellow stickers on the top - say - "have starters". Probably on a sales table.

• fortyseven_gw
    5 years ago

This makes sense to me, the way they show their plants in their natural state. I like how innovative they are andvtooknoff like a rocket in a whole new direction. Youthful vigor and ingenuity!! Thanks for the picture and the Ukrainian letters. That worked, I soon found an joyous, exuberant exhibition in the Ukraine. Lots of "eye candy." Motivation for some repotting.

Joanne

• Elsa
    5 years ago

I wish I can be in the show!! A lot of baby plants for sales!!

• Hyn Patty
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've had LE Karusel for a good while and it's a great baby maker! It's a favorite of mine and I've sold or given away several dozen baby plants. The flowers turn pretty much all white in winter for me but my growing temps (especially up here on top of a mountain) are fairly chilly. In summer it looks more like yours with plenty of red and a nice white ruffled rim. It's a very handsome plant and a very easy grower. I don't have problems with flowers dropping (except sometimes in winter) but my humidity most of the year is also higher than most people's.

• fortyseven_gw
    4 years ago

Thanks for sharing that great growing info, Hyn Patty! Motivated by Aegis' photo, I ordered Carousel from LLG. It arrived today, in bloom, a large starter. I am so glad to read how well it did for you.

Mr. Grey Haired Duke arrived, also. An extremely healthy-looking, good-size starter in bloom.

I chose it as a novelty, out of curiosity. The leaves are heavily ruffled, and scalloped, deeply edge-varieagated, with dusty mauve color undersides that curl up and show. The blooms on the outside match the underside of the leaves, the interior of the blooms is deeper mauve in color. Heavily ruffled with Geneva edging.

Once it settles in and a few more blooms open, I will send a pic. Also got Angelique. The blossoms are heavenly in coloration. Very plain foliage. Joanne

• Hyn Patty
    4 years ago

Keep an eye on the Violet Barn as well. Their plants tend to be a little smaller than LL's but also less expensive and currently they have a fairly large selection of decent Russian/Ukrainian plants as well - just to give you more options.

• fortyseven_gw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback. I have occasionally bought from others. However, I get best results from LLG. Their plants are top quality and grow in my environment. I use their potting mix. Their customer service is excellent. Their packing and shipping allows for extra travel days for my distance so plants are always fresh. Never a spill nor broken leaf. Their customer service is excellent. The fact that they opened the Russian market in the first place keeps me loyal.

My other favorite vendor is Donna Brining of Fancy Bloomers. Joanne

• Hyn Patty
    4 years ago

I eh... broke down and ordered a few Russians today myself. I hadn't ordered any new Russians in a couple of years! I have RM Pavlina, AE Mirror of Destiny, and AE Chimera of Destiny coming (the latter is not a chimera so I dunno why it's called that). I think they'll go nicely with my others, and a friend of mine is sending me a VaT-TSAR GORAH to see how it compares to my VaT Utro. I'd like to try crossing some of them with my variegated minis to see if I can make a variegated mini with flowers more like these Russians.

• fortyseven_gw
    4 years ago

Good! Sounds like an interesting order ofvRussians. I looked up the words peloric star. Thanks for using the correct terminology so I can look up the development of shapes. I looked up pelorism on Wiki for moee info. I found a techical article. Joanne

• Hyn Patty
    4 years ago

Heheh. It /is/ a great idea for you to do internet searches on terms. Good on you for not being lazy and wanting to know!! Gold star. ;)

• fortyseven_gw
    4 years ago

Yup, I am more interested in horticultural development than anything else. If I am to devote precious spare time, then I want to learn the botanical or techncial aspects. For example, from you, I have learned a lot. Whether I apply it to my own collection or impart knowledge to others at a club meeting, it keeps motivation high for others to stay involved. That's important for the survival and continued development of this field. Joanne