SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesw404

Bathroom remodel on a budget?!

jamesw404
5 years ago
Looking to get rid of this ugly bathroom but keep the existing footprint to lower costs. Want some very sleek and modern with the black hexagon tile look. Where do I eve start? What kind of price range am I looking at? Who do I contact to design it for me? Help!

Comments (31)

• Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    Price range is very much determined by your location and your personal preference. High end finishes in a high cost of living area would be several times higher than basic big box store materials in the areas of lower priced housing. I am not trying to be unreasonable but unless you have some more specific info, you are looking at somewhere between $1,000 and $100,000. My typical answer is take the first number someone throws at you and add 50% and you might be close.
  • Dawn Martinez
    5 years ago

Yes, what Lyndee Lee said, however we really do not know what you are looking/wanting to do. This bathroom looks relatively neutral, with the white tub and vanities, but the enclosed shower is somewhat dated by the trim. To do a seamless glass shower, would really open this up, but that is generally custom to your current shower footprint and could cost anywhere from $2-$4k.

You mention a black hexagon, where is it that you are envisioning that, in the shower? Typically these hexagon tiles are 4" perhaps you're aware of a bigger one, but labor on install will go up with this type of tile. Redoing the floor with a more modern 18 x 18 tile can be nice, but again is dependent upon what your style and price point are.

This looks like a good size master bath, I don't know where you live, but if you just update versus a complete renovation you might be able to do it for $20k, but I'm just guessing because I don't know if you want to paint, replace vanities, the tub etc, which will all increase the price point.

• Related Discussions

Please help rein in bathroom remodel budget!

Q

Comments (6)
    just to say your drawing is pretty good:) actually perfect for somebody like me:) if the tile and pattern are important-i'd try to save on the vanity by looking into second hand. sometimes folks sell very decent or even new stuff because they remodel for example. otherwise i think the prices you posted are very reasonable pattern is more laborious and will probably require more cuts=ordering more tile i know new vanities cost a lot..anything new wood does. so i'd shop around for that maybe, but splurge on the tile that's important to you. tiles are harder to get second hand:) lol but you can score a very nice vanity, without paying full price in Costco. of course one needs to get lucky. so decide whether you have patience for hunting like that. i got two of three vanities i needed on Craigslist..one is pretty straightforward just a big improvement from the old one, and cost me around 250 or so with nice clean countertop(looks like quartz), integrated sink and faucet. it's not 60 inch that's true..it's 37 inches. it was brand new too. another one was around the same in terms of money, it's smaller, but it's handmade and unique and i'd never be able to get something like this in the chain store. so i'm happy i took my time hunting. but i realize this Craigslist thing is not everybody's preference, for various reasons.
    ...See More

2 Bathroom remodel on budget

Q

Comments (7)
    The big box stores have kitchen counter depth laminate - just cut off the backsplash to the depth you need and do a simple tile splash. Then paint - have fun with the paint - navy blue, sunshine yellow, do a white wall with a large turquoise stripe. This will all be inexpensive an buy you the time you need to save up for your dream bathrooms. In the other bathroom I would change out the gold faucets ( for the shower you may be able to find a universal trim kit so you don't have t change the valves behind the wall ). Replace the top and regrout the floors - then paint paint paint! Small things make huge impact Good luck and have fun with it!
    ...See More

bathroom remodel on a budget

Q

Comments (2)
    Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some white ceramic tile. They come in many sizes, from 3x6 subways to 12x24s. Pick the size you like and tile the whole shower with it. Simple, no muss, no fuss, and will leave a neutral canvas to match the rest of your bathroom to when/if you remodel it in the future. And you could leave your tub and floor, again for later potential reno.
    ...See More

budget bathroom remodel

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi I've moved way too often and bathroom updates can be doable. Big mirror can come down with care but you might have a lot of wall patching to do. No way of knowing ahead of time, unfortunately. Easier to leave it but get new lights, new faucets and new cabinet hardware. Replace toilet paper holder too. Choose paint color with care as it has to coordinate with old cabinet color and your flooring. Pick wrong and your cabinets and other hard finishes will look tired and old in contrast. You might want to use a light coat of stain on cabinets to refresh them if they will take it. Some won't. Since you aren't changing your shower trim stick with brushed nickel finishes for a timeless look. You can find more interesting styles online that won't break the bank. Store stock tends to be builder grade unless you go to a specialty store. Try to keep new fixtures classic and clean lined. Look for lifetime warranty on the faucet brand. Those stingy old faucets need to be bigger. The lights are out of date, so same principles apply . They don't have to be expensive, either. Good luck
    ...See More
  • Helen
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

As Lyndee posted, it's impossible for anyone to estimate a budget for a bathroom remodel because the cost is going to depend on the scope of the project (including all materials used) plus cost of living.

You must have some idea of how much you can spend on the bathroom remodel. If you post that amount, people will probably be able to give you some idea of what is feasible within that budget - more or less.

My completely ballpark figure - based on my recent bathroom remodel - would be between $30,000 to $50,000 for a complete remodel assuming that you want to upgrade your bathroom which - at least from the pictures - isn't that terrible. Tile showers are costly because proper construction/waterproofing/tile installation is expensive. The lower end figure wouldn't be getting you a significantly nicer bathroom but just essentially some cosmetic changes. My experience with shower construction is that waterproofing is integrated so you generally need to do integrate waterproofing of the floor and walls together and then install tiles - unless you are using some kind of prefab shower.

You could refresh the bathroom so that it is more aesthetically pleasing for less of course by painting or papering.

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

35K to reproduce what you have, in the cultured marble, framed shower, builder beige tile. Something different in porcelain 10-15K more. Something different with natural stone and all the Houzz specialty touches? 25K+ more to ++++. Some of the more popularly saved baths on Houzz are over 100K.

• jamesw404
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks everyone! This is my first home purchase so I am not yet educated on pricing. Looking to do what I can for at most $20k budget if not less. Anything cosmetic will be a huge success.
  • yvonnecmartin
    5 years ago

Paint can be your friend as will a small rug or two and non-white towels. Wallpaper is more expensive, but it could be done without replacing the fixtures.

• Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    I see a plain and boring bathroom but I would not call it ugly. Unless the bathroom has functional issues, I would put some color on the walls and possibly paint the vanity and spend my time and money elsewhere.
  • Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Your bathroom is the stuff from which dreams can be made. It is a plain white back drop and you can add anything you want to make it what you want.

Search out pictures of white bathrooms and see how they are decorated. Then you can see what you like and don't like and repeat those.

If you are uncomfortable, you can hire a decorator to save you thousands of dollars in mistakes!!

Paint, art, towels, rugs, accessories, new mirror, new lighting can cost a lot less than tearing out and starting over.

BUT, you need to know what you want the end product to look like. Then go from there.

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

This is your first home. First thing you need to do is live in your home for 6 months to a year and figure out what works and does not work for you and what you are spending every month on your home.

Second thing is to figure out your budget. You should have 3 separate savings. One for unexpected required repairs (Freezer goes out, leak in the roof, flood in the basement, new roof . . . ) One for furniture and renovations and one for decor.

While you are doing this start window shopping and gathering ideas.

Figure out your style. You said you like sleek and modern. Does that fit your lifestyle? Sleek and modern works well if you are more of a minimalist. If you like a lot of little stuff sitting around the sleek lines of modern furniture will be stark in comparison and your home will feel out of harmony.

Figure out your whole home color pallet. Colors are one of the first things that will make a home look and feel dated. Instead of picking colors based on what is popular today, pick the colors that make your heart sing. By doing this you can get to a trend proof pallet that will work for you for the next 50 years. Good rule of thumb is to have 60% neutral, 40% less saturated color and 10% accent colors.

Plan the future of your home. Think about how your home flows and how you want the colors to flow from one room to the next. Think about what you do in each room of your home and the emotional response you want to have in each room. Do you want the kitchen warm and welcoming or more high energy. Do you relax in the living room or hold high powered discussions. Do you like to get energized when you are getting ready for work in the morning or relaxed while you soak in the tub in the evenings? Illusions are dangerous - don't plan your decor on the life you imagine living - plan it on the way you really live your life.

Window shop for furniture all the time. Figure out how much quality furniture is going to cost and buy one piece of good furniture at a time as your budget allows. Buying inexpensive furniture means you replace it more often and usually end up spending more in the long run. It also looks tends to look shabby long before you have saved enough to replace it. Good furniture can last you a lifetime with the exception of some upholstered furniture, which will need to be recovered or replaced, but a good sofa can last well over 10 years instead of looking shabby in 2-3 years and desperately needing to be replaced every 5 years. My last sofa was purchased 20 years ago and was doing great until the past year when the material started to go. Getting it reupholstered and it should last me another 20 years.

Once you have a good idea of how you want your home to function and how you want it to look you may want to have an hour or 2 hour consultation with an interior designer. Look for local designers on the internet. Look at their website and see if they have done work that fits your style and is appealing to you. They can review your whole home plan and give you great ideas and help pull things together. When you get stuck you have a designer you can call that knows your style, color and lifestyle. A good designer can give you cost estimates for the upgrades you want, can help pick furniture and find unique pieces that work well in your home. They also usually have a list of good plumbers, electricians and general contractors. Most of the big box stores and local bath/kitchen shops will offer free design services and can give you an estimate for getting work done if you know what you want to have done. Don't expect them to give you brilliant ideas.

• live_wire_oak
    5 years ago

Just converting that shower to something in a basic tile, with a frameless glass surround will be 10Kish. But you should do it and the bath tub at the same time so that the tub deck extends into the shower as a seat. Add another 10K. That still leaves you with the beige tile, poor lighting, poor ventilation, old low toilet, and the kid height vanities.

Live in it 6 months. Decide what you can live with and what you can't. Quadruple your thoughts on what things "should" cost. The youngest plumber is 40 something, and has a 3 month waiting list. Quadruple your idea of the budget may not be enough by the time that plumber hits 50.

• PRO
    David Bauer, Cornerstone Builders of SW Fl
    5 years ago

Most home owners are removing the tubs as no one likes a tub deck any more. The basic bathroom remodel for a bath of that sizes starts at $30,000 and can get upwards of $80,000 + BUT if you keep the layout of the bath you can save lots of money. I would start by removing the tub and extending the shower a foot of so into that space. DO NOT move the drain just the curb. Change the entrance so it comes in from the tub side, this will give a really nice space to dry off. You can put a cute teak bench to make it more spa like. If you want to keep the tub... Pull the tub and change it out to a free standing modern look. another in thing is to make the tub and the shower all in one space. IE the glass would go across the entire wall in front of a free standing tub... look around for pictures as I think that might work best because it will keep the window behind the tub a focal point. The Black and white hex tiles never goes out of style and mixes well with most everything you are on the right path.

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

Someone never cleaned a bathroom. Obviously. Physics state that two objects cannot occupy the same space. You cannot convert to a free standing tub, have the appropriate negative space around it, and make the shower larger. Stick to nailing 2x4s together. Leave design to designers.

• jamesw404
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Lots of great info here. So what should I expect cost to be if I strictly want to re tile the floor and shower, and add new shower faucet/head? I think I can live with everything else
  • GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

You don't "retile" a shower. You REBUILD a shower. You touch it? It's gut it and redo it with the proper waterproofing.

You're also replacing the toilet when you redo the floor. It has to get pulled. It costs as much labor to go back with the old as to put in something new. You're starting life around 12-30K to redo all of that. It depends on the materials you choose, and whether or not you hire someone licensed and insured for the 12K expense first time, or have to pay to redo it all after the 5K Craigslist guy ruins it all and it leaks and then you have mold remediation added to the demolition and redo.

Then you still have that beige tiles monolith of a tub in the middle, and the old vanities.

Live with this as is for now. Hire a K&B Designer to create a Master Plan for you. Don't piecemeal your way into a disaster. What is there is very livable for quite a few years.

• PRO
    David Bauer, Cornerstone Builders of SW Fl
    5 years ago

GreenDesign is right once you touch the shower it's an all in... start from the studs and replace everything. Shower pan, Durarock, Shower Valves, Tile shower glass....

• jamesw404
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Love the internet, you guys rock. Thanks everyone!
  • Dawn Martinez
    5 years ago

jamesmw423 a lot can be accomplished in the beginning with paint, and a great rug on the floor, and towels that bring in color, etc. We did a master bath recently and yes, it was all in, everything came out, including a deck mount tub like yours and we put a new free standing one in it's place. Save until you can create a bathroom you'll love and want to really live with, because it's definitely an investment. Enjoy the process and your new place.

• Dawn Martinez
    5 years ago

The Cooks Kitchen, lol ;-) I did almost the same....

• Val B
    5 years ago
    Not a designer, but I like Dawn’s idea. It looks like that floor needs a deep cleaning (maybe including new grout?), but I would leave it as is with some paint and colorful accessories since it doesn’t look horrible. Not sure if you have many rooms to furnish, but I didn’t account for that the last time I moved and was surprised by how much that added up.
  • Mrs. S
    5 years ago

I would like to follow the thread. I can only add that I live in a very HCOLA area (SoCal), and my plumber only charges $75 to re-seat a toilet. Interestingly, when we had our downstairs floors totally re-done, the quote to re-install the toilets was the same as the plumber (so i chose my plumber). I wouldn't throw out a perfectly good toilet over that small charge, as someone upthread suggested.

Retiling a floor in my area costs about $6/sf (at least, that's what I paid not too long ago), and that's using a top-notch local, reputable flooring retailer/installer. You can buy inexpensive tile or expensive tile to go with that installation cost.

As others have said, it's the re-do of the shower that can be a budget-breaker.

• einportlandor
    5 years ago

Just a heads-up -- I put down white hex tile with black accents on my remodeled bathroom floor and SO regret it. All that grout combined with heavy foot traffic results in a floor that never looks clean. Another thought is that small hex tile can be a retro look, which is why I used it (1928 house). Your house looks like it might be a more recent build -- a more contemporary floor tile (less grout) might be worth investigating. Good luck with your project.

• einportlandor
    5 years ago

P.S. I don't see the need to toss a functioning white toilet -- not a big deal to uninstall and reinstall.

• Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    I agree with keeping a functioning toilet. In my area, water costs a penny per gallon and it takes lots of days of savings at pennies per day to equal the cost of replacing the toilet. If this is an area where water is quite expensive or a heavily used space, the results might be different.

I realize that the suggestion here was not made with the save water rationale, but it is a common statement and I wanted to suggest people do the numbers before buying in to the plan
  • Sebago Gal
    5 years ago

Cook & Dawn's colors will look great - update the shower glass to seamless, add a cool tile to the front base of the tub and add color to the walls (maybe even paint cabinets) . with throw rug and towels this bathroom will look updated and amazing

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

Great solution by @Cook's Kitchen. I might also spend a bit more and just replace the existing glass shower enclosure with frameless starphire glass and it will instantly update this bathroom without spending a fortune. Get an estimate from your local shower glass fabricator/installer.

• jamesw404
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks @sabrina. Do you think it’s worth reglazing the subway tile shower to pure white? Then the only new tile I would have to do would be the floor. Or will any money put into the bathroom be rather wasted if I’m not planning on settling there for a terribly long time
  • Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

The average ROI on a bathroom remodel is 60%. For every dollar you spend expect the price of your home to go up 60 cents. For your bathroom it will probably yeild far less. It is not a pink 1950s bathroom and is not in disrepair. This is just color preference. Spend for your enjoyment, not for profit.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago
    @James, no I wouldn’t re-glaze.
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    4 years ago

We have the perfect finishing touch for ya ;)

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

You mentioned you will not be in this house for a long time. What is your time frame? Given a short duration, I would not invest much.

What about painting the walls, ceiling, and trim a very inky dark navy almost black? Part of what adds to the traditional look here is all of the trim. Paint can really help make that disappear. Getting plain window without all the detail work will additionally streamline things. The floor will still look a bit out of place but a nice large rug could distract from the tile.

Good example of dark painted trim, ceiling, walls.

London · More Info

Very nice charcoal colors:

Williams town · More Info

If removing the stained glass effect window is too much of a chore, consider concealing it with shutters, as in this pic. Also note how contemporary art work does a lot for this space too.

Oakwood Court, Holland Park, London · More Info

I'd pant all of the doors the same color as the walls too. You could paint the tub exterior wall (does that make sense?) the same color as the walls and add a nice contemporary tufted bench like below. Also nice to have painted vanities.

Master Bathroom · More Info