SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

Challenging cabinet hardware replacement

arlosmom
5 years ago

Hi all! I started a thread yesterday asking for guidance on picking a backsplash for my kitchen. I got several comments about my existing hardware, so I thought I'd start a new thread for that.

The existing hardware came with our house that we moved into two years ago. It's a very craftsman style in a house that is not at all craftsman. I'm not fond of it and I'd love to change it, but it's proving difficult. The current hardware has two different sizes of backplates. Our cabinets are vertical grain fir and have darkened with light exposure. If I want to change the hardware, I need to find new hardware that will cover backplates 1 1/4" by 2" and 1 1/4" by 4".

I've been looking off and on since we moved in to try to find replacements that will work. I've ordered several samples and have not yet found anything better than what's there now. I though I found some from CB2 that would work, but no luck.

I went to a specialty hardware store downtown today, and I think I found two different options that might work. One is kind of expensive and the other is VERY expensive. I'll need hardware for a total of 40 doors -- 30 large and 10 small.

The kind of expensive one is from Ashley Norton. The backplates are a little larger than I have now. The small backplate would have a knob and the large one would have a pull. They come in 2 colors that could work, white bronze and white medium. I'd have a couple of knobs and several pulls to choose from. They are a little on the rustic side. I could easily live with this option. Although the backplates were not on display, this will give you an idea of what's available:

The VERY expensive option is twice the price (even with a courtesy price break from the store), but stunning. Keep in mind I need to do 40 doors. These are the Bromwich series from Armac Martin. The smaller size is very close to what I currently have; the larger size (the one in the middle in the photo) is the same width, but 2" longer than what I have now. They come in a dozen finishes; I'd get the satin chrome plate. I think these are pretty exquisite. But man, the price!

I'm very open to any other suggestions that you have, and I'd really love your opinion of these options that I found today. I recently replaced my counters with marble and the existing black hardware is just too dark (and craftsman). Thanks!!!!!

Comments (3)