SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drsaj

Chandelier Choice?

drsaj
5 years ago

I posted this in Lighting and Dining Rooms a couple days ago, but only heard back from a lighting company. I'm hoping to get other opinions on this 36x36 chandelier for our dining room. Do you think it will compete with the art work on the wall?

Comments (76)

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Claire, I see where you're going. I like it! The lattice work compliments the back splash and brings cohesiveness. I like the two tiers. But this one is only 17 inches wide.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

"Claire, I always value your design input when I read your comments in other threads, but the light fixture you're suggesting makes me want to put on the Bee Gees, push the furniture out of the way and start dancing! LOL"

And what's wrong with that?! :D

drsaj thanked tartanmeup
  • Related Discussions

Foyer chandelier choice

Q

Comments (3)
    If you are looking for a two story chandelier, in Galilee lighting we offer unique lighting made of hand blown glass in any size or length. We invite you to visit our website to view our unique lighting collections. If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or visit www.GalileeLighting.com We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space. Call us 305-807-8711.
    ...See More

Ideas on Living Room Chandelier

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh, good. I'm glad you have another option. 28" sounds about right for the size of your room and it's a little over 75% of your table size - so that's good - in terms of a general guide line. However, sometimes you have to eyeball it in room. Be sure the retailer you choose has a good return policy. If you're up for a mock-up execise, you can cut card board to a couple different sizes and see which looks best to you. Another one I think would work well for you is the Oly Pipa Bowl Chandelier. It's very pretty.
    ...See More

Chandelier Choice?

Q

Comments (3)
    I think they would be perfect compliments, as long as you keep everything else very clean. If you start to add table decor, the room cool look a little busy. If you decide to go another way then give us a look. We love dining room tables ;)
    ...See More

Help! What color metal for chandelier?

Q

Comments (3)
    Our lighting could be a great addition to your home. We do custom lighting so we will be able to work to feed your needs and wants. Different amount/design/size of pendants, and size of canopy and overall fixture height etc. We also do 3D drawing before so you can have an idea of what it would look like before committing! Feel free to visit onhttps://shakuff.com/ or our instagram @shakuff_ :)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

I think you should go for the Kalco. I also think once you paint that will help a lot. Seeing your doors put some perceptive on it ...........do it.

drsaj thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RL Relocation, the one with black and silver or all silver?
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I was hoping you's find ways to repeat the curvy treatment at your front door. That orb is pretty, but looks like it will put out glare rather than soft dining light.

drsaj thanked decoenthusiaste
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Decoenthusiaste, my husband said the same thing about finding something curvy like the front door. But that's why I decided the orb might work. Everything else 'curvy' seems to be too modern for my space. Can you post any examples of what you think might work? As for the light the fixture will give, this room absorbs light with the tall ceiling. I need something that can really light up the room and be dimmed at other times for a softer effect.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tartanmeup, that video is hilarious!

• User
    5 years ago
    Lol tartenmeup, I thought the same as well
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I just saw it last night and your comment was just too perfect, drsaj, I couldn't resist. :D

drsaj thanked tartanmeup
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

The second one from RL Relocation has nice complementary curves.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I googled for images of curvy chandeliers and this came up from Houzz.com but I couldn't locate it on the site so I snipped it.

This one claims to be from Walmart!!!

drsaj thanked decoenthusiaste
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Pretty!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    The 36” wide might be a bit large for your table width. We like 8-10 on each side so when guests stand up they don’t hit chandelier. Also, how wide and long is your room? Height is ok. I like the black and silver combo. The all chrome might look a bit cheap.
    drsaj thanked Flo Mangan
  • drsaj thanked User
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Couple ideas
    drsaj thanked Flo Mangan
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Hi drsaj-

At first I agreed with RL Relocation about the disconnect with your choice of chandelier, but seeing your door, I understand why you want to use a chandelier with cast iron.

Before making your final decision, you might want to consider a few more choices.

The chandelier is a big-ticket item. probably more expensive than that art piece.

I wouldn't pick a chandelier just because it echoes the lines of that picture.

I would pick one that is suitable for your style and your home.

There is something a bit jarring about the the starkness of the cast iron with all those crystals, There is a bit of a disconnect there.

Why not look at some more chandeliers with cast iron that have some bolder lines like the frame of your door, and maybe some more delicate lines like the inside of the door, and maybe also consider a rounded shape as someone else showed.

Here's another thing to consider- were your doors custom made?

Why not have the ironworker custom make you a chandelier?

They can do that for you.

If the door was not custom made, then find an iron worker who does do custom work and has done chandeliers (and ask to see photos of his work and get references) and show him your doors, better yet, have him drive over, and tell him what you want and see if he can do it.

Maybe you would like a round drum type taller than the one Claire just showed you with a frosted glass like your door has, with a thicker frame at the top and bottom circumference and thinner swirls up and down than mimic the door.

You could carry through the cast iron in the dining room by changing out the hardware on the drawers and cabinet doors in the dining room, and after you paint the walls, you can decide whether or not the cabinetry is too stark white or not.

drsaj thanked loobab
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

Its a tough call ladies and gents. seems like the "glam" could work, but I do also side with the idea that the room might lend itself to something a tad more traditional.

Here is my new thought. Paint the room first.

• jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Some sparkle (with simpler lines) would work better.
    drsaj thanked jbtanyderi
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Beverly posted important improvements. Especially painting the buffet built in. The cathedral ceiling is a grand feature. So improving the look of the buffet area and painting will elevate your dining room beautifully. The room can handle a taller chandelier so take it a step at a time.
    drsaj thanked Flo Mangan
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo, yes, I think you're right about 36" being too wide now that I consider what you're saying about spacing. The chandi that hangs here now is 32" wide and that seems pretty perfect. I believe the Angelo orb comes in a smaller size, but I'd have to check. The room is 12' wide and 13-15' long (walls are curved). I think you're right about the all chrome one looking cheap. The black accent compliments the front door as well. The two fixtures you suggested are long rather than round, but the room is viewed from the end of the table versus the long side of the table so I'm not sure you'd really see and appreciate the long chandeliers. That's why I was looking at the round shaped chandeliers. Should I not worry about that?

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Loobab, you gave me a lot to think about, but the art work you see cost more than any chandelier I've looked at. The door was custom made for the prior owners of the home when they had it built. I never thought about having a chandelier custom made, but I'll look into that!

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beverly, I had the built in painted white to match the kitchen cabinets which can be seen from the same vicinity of the dining room. Although I like the darker color you mocked up, I think I prefer the cohesive cabinet colors between the kitchen and dining room. I was hoping the chandelier and art that I add to the one empty wall might pull it all together. While I understand what you're saying about the crystals looking "too glam," the orb you're suggesting looks just a tad too industrial for my liking. I thought the Angelo chandelier's metal orbs downplayed the glam, but maybe not.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Claire, I like the look of the 30" from Pottery Barn that you mocked up. Hmmm...

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo, I think we cross-posted. Do you think I should still consider repainting the built-in even though the kitchen is visible nearby and has the same white cabinets?

• User
    5 years ago
    Yes it has an elegant look plus it ties in with the backsplash and compliments your door
    drsaj thanked User
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Claire, the nice thing about Lamps Plus is the ability to return light fixtures as long as the wires aren't cut. I might just try this one. Stay tuned! :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Yes I would darken the built ins because while it is open on one end, the overall view of the room is contained. If this niche was open, would you buy white console for your dining room? Or a wooden unit to go with table? Even a metallic treatment might be lovely. I will find some inspiration photos for you.
    drsaj thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Here are a few photos for inspiration on buffet treatments in dining rooms and one with metallic finish.
    drsaj thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Grey Heron Interiors
    5 years ago

Go for the one with the darker framing. It will help ground the space. Its a stunning room.

drsaj thanked Grey Heron Interiors
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To be honest, I'm not liking the darker built-in color. I wonder if it would help the buffet area if I added some darker colored accessories?

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think once I paint the walls a lighter color, the buffet will look less stark.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Look at the difference between the paint colors.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's one a friend of mine suggested. Thoughts?

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Want to post that I like the one you picked: rounded to fill in shape the ceiling creates; beautiful crystal is the fancy part; seems to be a good repeat of chair legs / and contrast to white unit; and much better with door's simple lines [don't do the traditional imo]

drsaj thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Simply Elegant Home
    5 years ago

I would suggest something a little more rustic to warm the space up and coordinate with the table better. Some of the suggestions seem way to elegant and fussy.

drsaj thanked Simply Elegant Home
  • doods
    5 years ago

To me your white buffet looks like kitchen cabinetry in a lovely dining room. I would change the color, anything but stark white. I don't think you need to match it with your kitchen as this is not a kitchen nook.

drsaj thanked doods
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

Stay on track, and paint the room first that is going to change things a lot i think.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RL Location, I agree. I'm hoping to have the room/house painted at the end of May, depending on the painter's schedule. I'll come back with an updated photo at that time. Thanks, everyone!
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

I always try to remember that in person it's likely a bit different: so that maybe the tiling warms up the white cabinets...and together are in the background considering the ceiling! etc.... in person? more photos would be nice too. :)

Light tile floor matters .... it's not warm wood that'd contrast with cabinets...

drsaj thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Is this a ceiling to be highlighted? seems unique. In your photo including front doors, the paint seems almost like flooring - what if photoshop done with ceiling left as it is... and walls more like the lighter lower elements there.

drsaj thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Idk that white walls are great.... in case this adds to your process: look how the walls and floor are like yours, but also the wood [trim etc...]. The ceiling has a soft cool color / sky-like? What will white look like with your chairs... linen/ivory color?

Lone Pine · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/lone-pine-traditional-living-room-detroit-phvw-vp~14593733

drsaj thanked everdebz
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Benjamin Moore Baby Fawn offers a nice subtle contrast to BM White Dove, like in the photo below, yet it's much lighter than the DE Apache Tan we have now.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

If you halfway like the tile above/below, what about a blending paint color from it?... softest of blue/green? would add something to all neutral room.

For the pros especially, I think close-up of tile would be helpful.

drsaj thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

- place painted sample board by all the chairs...

drsaj thanked everdebz
  • User
    5 years ago
    Hi drsaj, isn’t that paint closer to the one you have now?
    drsaj thanked User
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Claire, Apache tan has a lot of gold in it. BM Baby Fawn is more of a greige.

• PRO
    Grey Heron Interiors
    5 years ago

The orb fixture is open, light and airy. Your space is open and airy as well. The main concentration of the fixture is in the middle, whereas the one you have now is visually large but compact. If you go any smaller than the 36" it will appear too small scaled for the space.

Room dimensions are just guidelines for chandelier sizing. If you stick with that as a your rule of thumb you would be lookin at a fixture that would be 25-27" wide. Which would be far too small for your space. You have volume both in the curve and the ceiling height so you have to use a different approach when seeking the proper sized fixture.

You definitely have an eye for design and have chosen beautiful pieces. Go with your gut! That light in the darker tone will be gorgeous!

drsaj thanked Grey Heron Interiors
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Flo Manago posts about technical numbers for paint - contrasts and such between wall and trim...

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/sw-alabaster-what-trim-dsvw-vd~4572995[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/sw-alabaster-what-trim-dsvw-vd~4572995)

drsaj thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    DC interiors
    5 years ago
    I love it for your room. And definitely the black and silver!! The black offers the needed definition.
    drsaj thanked DC interiors