SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01

Indulge me and help with project on the cheap

daisychain Zn3b
5 years ago

I think I've posted about this before, but can't quite remember on which forum - probably here b/c my fragile ego is scared of the participants in the more appropriate forums.

Just to recap: we are doing a kitchen reno/refresh of our tiny MCM lakehouse on the cheap. Total budget is $5000. I've already spent about $600.

What I've got so far for my $600:

• used cabinets I found at Habitat (some were actually brand new - yay!)
  • reusing existing appliances and some cabs
  • new faucet
  • used overmount sink

All cabs/drawers are full overlay slab front which I love, but as you can see from pics, not all are same colour.

Questions:

1. I wanted to do birch wood counter tops (love the look and can do all counters for about $1000), but then found these really quality drawers with solid maple fronts that I love. Can I put wood counters on them or will wood on wood look gawd awful?

2. If wood on wood is horrible, do I paint them all white to match others? Do I paint just those cabs a different colour (blue, perhaps?) or all cabs a different colour?

3. The maple drawers are 29" deep rather than 24 like the rest. Do I cut them down or leave them deeper? Functionally, I like them deeper.

The fake wood panelling is being covered with drywall.

Green tape indicates where more upper cabs will be hung.

This is all theoretical as the guy who was so gung-ho to do the work has gone incommunicado and I may have to do the majority of the work myself. In which case, it will take forever to get done. In the meantime, I am enjoying thinking about it. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

ETA: drawers and cabs will be installed level to one another.

Comments (44)